Getting in and out of the swimming pool

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 24. May 2010, 19:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, am just thinking and planning ahead.

How do the swimmers amongst you - particularly those following a THR get in and out of the pool? At how many weeks after your op could you do this? How do the restrictions affect you doing this?

Speedalong
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

Just left you a message cus I didn't see this one.

I think they will tell you how to if its hydro your going for? I had a lot of it when my back was done and they used to put me beside it and I just rolled in cus I wasn't allowed to sit or even be in a position that was akin to sitting for quite a while. Getting out was harder.....

I really hope you soon find your so much better and freer moving. Luv Cris xx
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Speedalong

My hydro pull has a pulley chair in it, anyone who cant make it down the steps get lowered in and uplifted out.......

Elaine
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, am just thinking and planning ahead.

How do the swimmers amongst you - particularly those following a THR get in and out of the pool? At how many weeks after your op could you do this? How the restrictions affect you doing this?

Speedalong
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Our pool luckily has a stepped entrance which is excellent to just walk in... which was great just after my THR but now I either dive in or use the ladder steps its not been a problem for me... I went swimming a couple of months after my op .. but I was told not to do breast stroke legs for at least a year but now I do it all the time..

I would think ladder steps are fine as you are going in backwards and can go at your own pace...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    I was wondering that as well....I cant swim but would love to get into the water.....we havent got a hydro pool....the old hospital had and they knocked that down and built a new one....did they put a hydro pool in...NO!!!!!!
    Its only 2 weeks un til my next appt to discuss my 2nd THR so I'll have to ask then when I can go in. We dont have physio after THR here...we get a piece of paper on your 2nd or 3rd day in hospital and told ...thats what you do when you get home .Thats it!!!
    Oh well
    Glad you're think that far ahead
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi thanks for all replies -don't mean hydro sadly - I love hydro - I do mean swimming at the pool. Most local pools just have steps. There is a pool once I can drive ... more of a splash, fun pool that does have a gradual slope in. Only problem is the changing rooms have benches that are too narrow and close to the wall and make changing very difficult.....

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Speedy

this is a great idea :D

I know what you mean lots of them have ladder type steps....

think I would ring the pool and ask them I think they have to have hoists available but it might be an idea to check and see if there is a god time to go.

Love

Toni xx
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Hi speedy, glad the op went well. Our local pool has ladder steps and family changing.I started in the pool at 6 weeks.OH took grandaughter in little pool but was able to help me dress. Took crutches to pool steps and lifeguard took them from me and brought them back when I was ready.no swimming at first but could do the normal exercises, water resistance strengthened muscle but more tiring at first. No breast stroke allowed but just floating on my back and kicking my legs was brill. By 3 months able to swim few lengths daily- was allowed to drive automatic car then so could go by myself.still no breast stroke unless I forget. remember though everyone is different Elaine
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Toni, haven't seen a hoist - maybe they keep it well hidden ..

Hi Elaine, so you managed the ladder steps with THR .. can you explain how you used them?
    Re different rates of recovery - I'm considered to be making good progress and am pretty mobile considering "my unoperated leg" is a THR too (which has some nerve damage.) This months op seems to have a much better outcome. So only rules are the hip restrictions.

Speedalong
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I have a slope at the hydro. But once i did go swimming and couldnt get out as step ladder only. took a few push and pulls to remove me,

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

Hi Elaine, so you managed the ladder steps with THR .. can you explain how you used them?
    Re different rates of recovery - I'm considered to be making good progress and am pretty mobile considering "my unoperated leg" is a THR too (which has some nerve damage.) This months op seems to have a much better outcome. So only rules are the hip restrictions.

Speedalong

You think you can sort of dot and carry down?

Good leg doing the bending??

Worth a try - they may have a hoist which can be put away - one here has :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • caravancollie
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

Hi speedy,
    I took the crutches to the steps, handed them to lifeguard back to the pool at top of steps. Grabbed handrails and went down backwards unoperated leg down first taking most of weight in arms on rails when using operated leg. It was easier than I thought. Getting out was. The reverse. The lifeguard was watching and brought the crutches when I waved at him. The most difficult was getting dressed due to the restrictions. My mobility was quite good by then, using only one crutch at home and sometimes only the furniture. Hope you enjoy the swimming. It's free where I live and the baths is only a mile from home so didn't mind if I was only in the water for a short while. X
  • caravancollie
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

Hi speedy,
    I took the crutches to the steps, handed them to lifeguard back to the pool at top of steps. Grabbed handrails and went down backwards unoperated leg down first taking most of weight in arms on rails when using operated leg. It was easier than I thought. Getting out was. The reverse. The lifeguard was watching and brought the crutches when I waved at him. The most difficult was getting dressed due to the restrictions. My mobility was quite good by then, using only one crutch at home and sometimes only the furniture. Hope you enjoy the swimming. It's free where I live and the baths is only a mile from home so didn't mind if I was only in the water for a short while. X
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Also

If you have one...

the little kiddies pool is warmer :wink:

seriously can be better if yo are less mobile than usual :D

love Toni xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Elaine for fab description - can now visualise it.

Hi Toni did think that - it is really for those with children only - but might let me in - has a slope - but can't yet walk without crutches ... wonder if they would wheel me in on shower chair??!!

Speedalong
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi H.

I didnt want to go swimming after THR. Have you been advised to do so? I have only just ventured into a pool now 10 months after op.It would be wise to check the pool has very good access such as a rail next to steps. A gentle slope with a rail is even better. Just make sure there is a rail to hang onto as steps/ slope can be slippery.
    I found changing the most difficult thing.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I havent attempted it yet and am curious to know if I could {officially} but have no real desire to do it yet.
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth,

I was really struggling with changing as my op got nearer. The benches were too narrow and near to the wall. Am currently wearing "easy to put on clothes" not my usual image - but then nor are TED stockings!!!

Hi Hileena, haven't asked when can officially swim, just am desperate get fit again (not superfit, just normal fitness for someone of my age who is active and has an active life style ...) I have never been sporty but have always enjoyed swimming - so its a good place to start. It is also something S and I enjoy doing together - but need to get used to go on my first, before I take him again.

Speedalong