Steroids and weight loss

Options
Starburst
Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
edited 24. May 2010, 13:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, hope you are enjoying the sunny weather!

This is probably going to be rant more than anything else. In the months before my diagnosis, I piled on the pounds. My eating habits were terrible and lack of mobility didn't help. I've made huge changes in my life with regards to my diet. I managed to lose 10 kilos on Slimming World. I've been on prednisolone for a few weeks now. Despite keeping my diet the same, I've started to gain weight. Why oh why? It's making me miserable. The're really helping my arthur but this weight gain side-effect is messing with my head. :( How did you guys deal with this? Any tips for a sad Sophie please? :oops: I'm drinking plenty of water and have tried to cut salt out my diet as much as possible. I'm not eating any differently to how I was before either.

Sophie x

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I ave been on rpednisalone for over a year. I have put on a few pounds but i think this is more because i havent been able to do as much exercise as i normally would. I would just be extra careful in what you are eating, drink plenty of water and exercise.
    The problem i have had is trying to exercise to keep the weight off but then exercising too much nd causing a flare-up. only you will know how much is too much.
    x
  • scorpio
    scorpio Member Posts: 159
    Options
    i am also on prednisolone and on a diet - i am losing weight though............try something to prevent water retention - milk thistle tablets, or something similar
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Sorry Sophie but the only way I lost the weight was to come of the steroids. I was only on them prior to, during pregnancy and whilst breastfeeding and most people dismissed my weight gain as pregnancy related however it is clear thanks to the moon face I developed that the steroids were to blame.
    I remember how much it depressed me.
    I'm now back to my petit size once again probably helped by hobbling round after a very active toddler.
    Hope you get round it soon
    Chrissie
  • whalewatcher
    whalewatcher Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi Sophie

I always put on weight when I have to take Prednisolone and I know how frustrating it is especially when you've worked hard to lose weight.
    My appetite increases so I get rid of all the high calorie biscuits & cheeses and have plenty of fruit to hand so when I wake up ravenously hungry I have something healthy to eat.
    I also try & exercise as much as possible to burn off some calories. I know - if we were well enough to exercise we probably wouldn't be on the wretched tablets!!
    Steroids can affect you emotionally too and your sad feeling may be due to them. Look on this time as a temporary blip in your health & weight.

Whalewatcher