how to get a refund for bad service

Options
oneday
oneday Member Posts: 1,434
edited 24. May 2010, 14:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
Has anyone advice how to get a refund for bad service.ie. i paid for some classes and wasnt happy at first one and they say they cant give money back. i know theyre wrong. i have checked consumer website but has anyone been in same postiton and how did you success to get money back,thanks.

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I saw something on the TV concerning contacting trading standards for classes you are not happy with. I am a member of Which? and they have a good record for getting money back.
    I am about to try to get Flip camera replaced as bit of it have broken so no longer works. I paid extra for the guarantee but I expect they will put up a fight(in which case I will contact Which?).The guarantee doesnt cover damage if negligent so that is where they will try to claim the break is my fault.Wish me luck.
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • only49
    only49 Member Posts: 1,207
    Options
    definitely go to trading standards i done that before, i subscribed to a magazine and they stopped printing it and they would not give me my money back so they sorted it out for me.

good luck
    sylvia :)stern02.gif
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    I have dealt with complaints for more years than i care to remember unfortunately not in this area so cannot help you specifically but:

I would say keep your complaint simple, polite and to the point.

Write to the correct person, send all letters by rec or spec delivery.

Always ask for their internal complaints procedure.

Don't delay in raising complaint. Lots of complaints procedures have time limits.

If they do not resolve your complaint, see if they have an ombudsman and find out your next steps early on.

Finally, don't give up.

Pluggxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,428
    Options
    Heyho Oneday

I saw something about those classes that are conning people and costing lots of cash. You can google it it was on BBC news yesterday.

do let us knwo how you get on

Love

Toni xx
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    I sympathise with you. Everything you purchase you have your rights. Mostly 28 days in which to change your mind, one rule of thumb is never to ask, it's to demand. Assert yourself and demand you have a full refund, and if not you will be taking it to the small claims court. That usually does the trick.
  • oneday
    Options
    Hi Gang
    i have decided to go to the class tomorrow night and ask for money back..if dont get it i.e fobbed off i am handing her a letter requesting payment in 14 days....letter said i am legally entitled to a refund etc. I havent gone heavy handed saying will take legal action but hope mention of being legally entitled will make her think thats my intention.
    Does that sound okay, what with that and noisy people not a good weekend, there again i should be happy touch wood my back isnt causing pain etc..
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Good luck!

Pluggxx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    oneday wrote:
    Hi Gang
    i have decided to go to the class tomorrow night and ask for money back..if dont get it i.e fobbed off i am handing her a letter requesting payment in 14 days....letter said i am legally entitled to a refund etc.
    When you applied for/started the classes you should have completed and signed an Application Form. This form comprises a contract between you and the service provider. It depends what is in the contract, including any refund policy. If the contract stated that you are not entitled to a refund, then that is what you signed for, freely agreed to and is legally binding.

The thing is that you need to contact the office and talk to the administration, class lecturers don't usually have anything to do with the financial side and cannot offer you a refund.

You don't say who is holding the class? Is it a college, community association or do they just hire the room? But you still have to contact the admin side. Can you phone during the day to talk to them, as any reputable organisation will normally refund fees, (less any admin charge), upon request within the first 2 weeks, if you intend not to attend any more classes.

Most organisations aren't bothered about County Court threats, they ignore them, unpaid for years even if you win.

What does bother them is bad local publicity. If they won't listen, don't argue or say what you intend to do, just hang up. Then make a list of as many local radio and freebie papers that you can find, as they are always after things to talk/write about. Look them up online and email them individually, simply explain what has happened and give them your phone number. They will then phone you back and then the place holding the class for comments.

Nothing like a dozen radio and local reporters on the case, phoning them up about your complaint.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • tkachev
    Options
    well i had no arguements with electric shop but unfortunately the flip model has been discontinued.The nearest similar model is extra £70 so going to think about next step. I can get a gift card for original amount but my son cant live without his camera.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    well i had no arguements with electric shop but unfortunately the flip model has been discontinued.The nearest similar model is extra £70 so going to think about next step. I can get a gift card for original amount but my son cant live without his camera.

Elizabeth

Have you read all small print with warranty? is there not something that says it your product no longer produced they provide a similiar one and its not your misfortune its dearer,shouldnt they have to loose out? there again, i would take money before they change minds if nothing in warranty etc...let me know how you get on.
  • tkachev
    Options
    The warranty states that i have to make up the price difference. I dont mind that but have seen similar models to his camera online for £110. They said they could order things in but this model was discontinued.
    i need to look online to compare all the model to get an idea of what I am talking about.
    Hope things go well for you oneday
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • oneday
    Options
    apparently cheques in the post!! not holding my breathe.