CP

Options
ians12
ians12 Member Posts: 6
edited 24. May 2010, 19:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
My own information and evidence suggests a rather different version of things.

The numbers of deaths actually caused by CP seems rather undefined as the post mortem results for many of them were not scrutinised as far as I can see. There appear to be many other factors such as the obvious one of pre meditated suicide, which many Arthritis suffers do not fall into thankfully.

The price of CP (as quoted by BNF back in 2004) was around £2 per 100 tablets, but later on in 2005 the price rose to around £6 per 100 if memory serves me. I am not saying this influenced the decision to withdraw CP but when you know there were around 1.7 million people getting regular prescriptions for it then maybe it WAS a factor.

Since the "named patient" idea falls flat when GPs and Consultants are having their minds made up by statements from their respective MDUs words to the effect that they will "lose their cover" if they continue prescribing CP many have had to buy their CP instead.

The MHRA supposedly recently reviewed their way of doing things and promised to involve patients more in any future decisions (only 1 patients testimony was taken into account when they reviewed CP) but I see scant evidence of this taking place.

I have spoken to the MHRA, MPs, Ministers, NHS officials and nobody seems to want to take any interest except our MP. I also asked for comment from the MDDUS here in Scotland and got a terse one line reply words to the effect "its nothing to do with us" which of course could not be further from the truth.

I hope the GPs, the MHRA, the NHS and the MDUs feel happy with themselves as many thousands of people continue to suffer as a direct result of their actions or inactions.

Meanwhile the drug companies still continue to make handsome profits from inflated prices charged to the NHS.

The NHS buyers have tried to remedy this by some underhand tactics but that will keep for another post.

Ian.

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes I did wonder myself,

Thanks Delboy
  • ians12
    Options
    delboy wrote:
    SPAMMER!

Reported to mods

Why do you think its spam?

ian
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    It iS a bit unusual to post like this your second ever post....what is on the other post?

Toni xx
  • ians12
    Options
    I was responding to Jane Asher's appearance on TV

ian
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Ian

I started a thread about Jane Asher over on chit chat - called it BBC

Toni x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Could CP be co-proxamol?

Janie
  • ians12
    Options
    BNF has prices for all currently licensed drugs as sold to the NHS.

http://bnf.org/bnf/index.htm

Yes CP is short for Coproxamol or Distalgesic

ian
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    don't want to go into it again as this topic has been covered many times and I've gone into detail there and i think you just end up going round and round
    But as a former taker of said drug I can see both sides of the coin as I am also married to a man who had to deal with the fall out of when it goes wrong. It was a difficult decision for the authorities but a necessary one. For the general population simply put the risks outweighed the benefit
    I know that for some it is the one that works best for them but a line has to be drawn somewhere and it has been drawn here
    There are other options and discretion can be used, so although it may seem harsh its not as bad as it could be.
    Chrissie
  • ians12
    Options
    CP can be prescribed on a "named patient" basis, even BNF agree this, so the risks are not obvious.

ian