Rheummy appointment - life after mtx? advice please

Options
dopeykit
dopeykit Member Posts: 107
edited 25. May 2010, 04:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Feeling a bit low after my rheummy appointment today. I had the doctor with no bedside manner and as usual it all got a bit confusing and I got a bit upset.

I have PA but it mainly causes me tendonitis. Been on 15mg of mtx for 3 months and my joints have improved but my tendons are all still really painful in my wrists and feet. When I said that I wasn't happy still being in so much pain the rheummy started saying that I should stop taking mtx then and try something else although he said it wasnt as good. Then he started having a go and asking me to decide what to do - to stay on the mtx or change to sulfa. I just want to get less pain so I said what did he recommend and started getting upset...Then seeing he had upset me he said I could actually try 20mg of MTX and didnt need to decide to come off it :?

I'm really confused now - did I do the right thing? Is there anything else that works other than mtx or sulfa? He implied I could try tnfs later but then said becuase my ESR is normal (always has been its a quirk) that I prob wouldnt get them anyway...

Feeling like I'm back to square one...

Sorry for the moan

Xkit
www.cookingwitharthur.com
Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kit,

Well he wasn't very helpful was he :roll: Bad Rheumy's should be shot, I think.

Try the increase in Mtx - it might help. If it doesn't ask him about taking Mtx and Sulpha together, I know other peeps on here have a cocktail.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Kit
    I been to see rhuemy today too.
    unfortunatly the mtx isnt working that well for me either, i am also on hydroxy and now i have to start sulfa too :(
    my rheumy is quite nice and she also spoke to me about the bioloical (sp) drugs saying i may need them in the future, which scares me but im not there yet.
    i hope the increase in mtx works for you and if not ask about adding in another drug.
    best wishes
    sharon
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Hi Kit
    sorry to hear you got an idiot today, so many of them don't realise that bedside manner is half the job
    I am up to 20mgs now and to be honest it was that last jump that did the trick although I am going through a rough patch at the moment so may end up tweaking the meds to sort that.
    Could you try to make another appointment to talk it through a bit more calmly - it might make you feel better about it all even if it doesn't mean a change in decision.
    Chrissie
  • dopeykit
    dopeykit Member Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much for the replies.

I think I might phone the rheummy nurse and try and talk it through with her. I just don't think I can have a sensible conversation with the rheum - are brains work different ways! I thought I also might say something to PALS because that is twice now he hasnt read my notes before the appointment and then been very difficult.

Really interesting people take mtx and sulfa - maybe I could try that next. I'm going to give the 20mgs a go and hope I get the improvement like you Chrissie.

Lynn - you are quite right had he been very easy to talk to I would feel happy with the decision and not so worried!

Thanks again all

Kit
    www.cookingwitharthur.com
    Healthy, tasty recipes for living well with arthritis