O.A in both hands and wrists .

Options
debrajane
debrajane Member Posts: 4
edited 25. May 2010, 04:32 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi eveyone my name is debbie i have o.a in both hands and wrists am in a lot of pain and finding a lot of things can do only with a lot of carefull ajustment.ie doing up bra,tieing laces even putting hair up. : :oops: i cant take a lot of medicines so am on trial and error at the mo, went to docs today and got precribed zapain,lansoprazole and mexicol took my first dose at 6pm have only just come down from climbing the walls with stomach pains worse than labour :shock: i hope to find someone out there who is also not good with antiiflams and paracetamol based drugs.back to docs in the morning he surgested steroids if these drugs didnt work but im worried about side affects. i am 45 and have always been active i am still working but finding it harder to hide the pain, cant aford to leave and dont get company sick pay. sorry if i sound like a misery im not just so fed up.

Comments

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Sorry I have RA so cannot help much. I work 4 days a week and I know how difficult it can be to keep going.

Someone will be along shortly and will be able to be more help.

In the mean time, hugs and best wishes.

Ix
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Debra, you poor thing I have OA too - hips and knees and it does make life hard especially when working too. Making adjustments is half the battle ... have you been referred to an OT? They are fab at finding gadgets to help with everyday tasks.

I've not heard of zapain - just looked it up - paracetomol and codeine based, can't find info on mexicol - what is that??? ... lanzoprozole is to protect your stomach. If you can't take paracetomol then the zapain will be no good ... but your GP could try you on other codeine meds or opoids. If the lanzoprozole is no good for you there others - tho the one you are on is one of the best tolerated. Is mexicol an anti inflammatory???? Can you tolerate iboprufen ... bear in mind some meds that might irritate you before being on a stomach protector might now be ok ... Personally I find codeine helpful as a painkiller but my tummy is not keen and I try and take the minimum I can get away with. There are loads of anti inflams to try - I get on really well with arcoxia and took it for year without a stomach protector ... until the recommendations changed and now take omprazole too. Arocoxia also gives good pain relief. So don't despair - you have lots still to try ...

Go prepared to GP with bullet points of things you need to say and things to ask.

I'm on sick leave just now as just had hip operation .... but I rarely took time off before - but it did get increasingly hard. I eventually cut my hours and worked a four day week which did help and despite the loss in income was worth if for quality of life. Why don't you qualify for statutory sick pay??

Re steriod jabs - I have no experience of these - they work well for some.

Have you tried physio/hydro? Have you seen a consultant and had x rays?? Your Gp can refer you.

Let us know how you get on.

Speedalong

PS sorry reply so long ... you can wake up now!!!
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Debbie

I just wanted to wish you well with your gp appointment today. :) If you mean steroid injections these can work very well and give great relief although the result is not usually permanent. I have had steroid injections in my fingers and thumbs and they work well for me, for a time. Do you have hand splints to wear either just at night, or also in the day? People have said they find these do help. An OT can sort this for you I believe. I am sorry I cannot help you on the meds front.

Do let us know how you get on.

Hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    hi, im 32 and also have OA in both hands and both wrists ~ amongst other joints also. im sorry i cant really help with the medication as im a bit of a newbie myself, i just wanted to say good luck with your gp appointment.
    im only on naproxen and omoprazole (?) for my pains, together with usual paracetamol but i find it doesn't really take the pain away from my wrists or hands.

i do reiterate about going seeing an OT. i went to see one who was wonderful and ive got loads of great gadgets around the house to help with my hands/wrists plus splints for support when im doing housework. ive got can/bottle openers, toilet gadgets :oops: but at least i can do moe things for myself and i feel a little more independant and in control. she also gave me great advice for help around the kitchen, how to hold things or different ways around doing stuff which has really helped. my next 'treat' is a kettle tipper so i can make my own cuppas! :D

im sorry ive not been much help but i just wanted to show my support and wish you well for your appointment.

caroline x