any one had hip replacements

Options
jojo39
jojo39 Member Posts: 3
edited 19. Jul 2010, 11:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi my names jo iam 39.I had my first hip replacement 13 yrs ago then the other 12 yrs ago iam now waiting to have the first one redone.I wondered if any one has had their hips redone and what their experiance was like thanks for any comments :)

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jan, I had my first THR 13 years ago too and a resurface on my second hip less than a fortnight ago.

What type of prothesis did they use? Did they say why/how it is wearing out?

Someone posted in the last month or so about their hip revision ... wracking my brains who .... hopefully they will see your post and respond.

Are you new to the forum ... if so welcome.

Speedalomg
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • moogiemouse1
    moogiemouse1 Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi Jo

I had my first hip replacement done at 26 and last year had it repaired (it lasted 16 years) with me they just replaced the acetabular cup (swapped from silicon to ceramic), replaced the ball joint and bone grafted around my femur and pelvis where the bone density had become very thin(due to the silicon cup wearing away and dissolving the bone). They left the main stem in as it was still viable. My experience last year was so much better than the original replacement, mainly due to the fact that I had a spinal block and sedation rather than a general anesthatic, I was up and about the day after, back to work and the gym 4 weeks later and the hip feels so much better, unfortunately I have to go in for a total left replacement on 17th June, but I feel much more confident about it after last years good experience.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Jo
    Sorry not much help....I had my first THR a few months ago and am seeing the surgeon in about 10 days time to discuss the 2nd one. He said they normally lasted 25 years but because I was young HA!!!!!{63} it wouldnt last as long as that....Thats all I know
    Love
    Hilena
  • speedalong
    Options
    back to work and the gym 4 weeks later

Blimey moogiemouse!!!! You must be one tough cookie!!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena didn't realise you were 63. Just imagined you were even younger ...

Speedalong
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    Thanks for that.....like I said somewhere else.....the mind is young but the body keeps reminding me LOL

Love
    Hileena
    Actualy its 64 now....a few days ago
  • paddybandit
    paddybandit Member Posts: 6
    Options
    jojo39 wrote:
    hi my names jo iam 39.I had my first hip replacement 13 yrs ago then the other 12 yrs ago iam now waiting to have the first one redone.I wondered if any one has had their hips redone and what their experiance was like thanks for any comments :)

Hello Jo,

I have had both hips replaced plus revisions on left and right after many years of good use!!! Op is a bigger one - but the outcome is similar to a primary hip replacement as long as you do as you are told - I am due to see my revision hip consultant in 6 months as the right hip has been loosening over the last 3 years - I had it re don 15 years ago - not bad eh!!!

Good luck

Let us know how it goes!

Paddybandit.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Paddybandit,

I wish you all the best. I have one hip that is 13 years old which will need revision at some point, so I shall be following your story with even keener interest! Please keep us posted with how things go.

Speedy
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Paddy

Just out of interest, how did you know your hip was loosening? Do you get a specific kind of pain??

(I hopefully won't have to worry about this for many many years as only had my first hip replacement 10 weeks ago!)

Marion
  • paddybandit
    paddybandit Member Posts: 6
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi Paddy

Just out of interest, how did you know your hip was loosening? Do you get a specific kind of pain??

(I hopefully won't have to worry about this for many many years as only had my first hip replacement 10 weeks ago!)

Marion

Hi Marion,

You will know when your hip starts loosening (that will not be for many years though!!!!) The pain begis as an ache and gets worse as time goes by - it is a different pain to the arthritic pain that I had prior to my hip replacements - You should have regular x rays and that will show up any loosening long before it becomes painful - As I said, you have many years to go before you need worry about any of this.

Mary. (can't get my emitioncons to activate - but it would be a big smiley face!)