Toenails!

Options
lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 25. May 2010, 18:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

What implement do you have to cut your toenails?

My hubby has to cut mine for me, poor ****, and one or two of my nails are really thick. He uses conventional clippers which can sometimes catch my skin :shock: (accidentally, or so he says :roll: ). Anyway I was looking at a Cosyfeet catalogue and came across the 'Professional Pliers'.
http://www.cosyfeet.com/professional-nail-clippers-p-164.html

And the Long Handled Scissors because I thought I might be able to reach myself with these.
http://www.cosyfeet.com/longhandled-scissors-p-124.html

Have any of you tried any of these? Or is there something which you use which might be of help to me?

Luv Legs :D
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I tried the long-handled scissors, Legs..........and couldn't use 'em! Found it still required too much pressure at an odd angle for me, but that's because one toe has a very odd nail on it.

I can't use clippers - never did get the hang of them somehow. Have an old pair of 'magic' scissors which really do cut well, have had them for about 10 years and have never been able to replace them.

I have to go to the chiropodist every 6 - 7 weeks, can see that becoming every 3 - 4 weeks if those scissors ever fail!

Annie
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    my dad was told by his podiatrist never to cut his nails, but to use a long-handled file instead.

not sure if that is helpful or not :? :?
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    my hubby uses the pliers as he has very thick nails....and some really weird ones too thanks to a bodged ingrowing toenail procedure , and they seem to be the only thing to work for him,

I am kinda lucky in that mine don't seem to grow very fast and are really easy to cut, I also have ridiculously soft and smooth skin on my feet, my podiatrist loves them!

Have you tried soaking your feet in warm water before cutting your nails, its supposed to make it easier, if you find it difficult to reach then you could ask about a referral to get them done for you by a podiatrist
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi folks who go to a podiatrist for nail cutting -do you have to pay? Just wondering as won;t be able to cut own nails until after hip restrictions are lifted. Have spent a fortune since op already on surviving ...

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • rosebud
    rosebud Member Posts: 52
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi folks who go to a podiatrist for nail cutting -do you have to pay? Just wondering as won;t be able to cut own nails until after hip restrictions are lifted. Have spent a fortune since op already on surviving ...

Speedalong

hi

i don't go to the podiatrist for nail cutting it's for another foot problem but I don'y have to pay. Where I am there is a NHS podiatrist within the health centre and you can self refer. you should probably look into it, nothing to loose!
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    Options
    ive just had the same conversation with my hubby last night, ended up in floods of tears because i couldnt do them myself - can't twist my wrist grrrrr

he's kindly offered to do them for me but im still a bit stubborn and independent (much to his annoyance at times) and dont want to let him just yet... although i may have to if last night was anything to go by. you'd think id just ran a marathon the amount of huffing, puffing and whinging i was doing!! :oops:

i also try soaking my feet to soften them up a bit and i have some scissors where the blades are bent sideways
    sorry i cant be more help but hope you manage to work something out thats easier for you

caroline x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    Those long handled scissors are difficult to use for me as you need some power to aim and cut which i havent yet managed.
    So OH does mine with those clippy thing( I prefer scissors) and yes he catches my skin too.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

Speedalong

Round here (Middlesex) there is a service for nail cutting.It costs £10 if I remember rightly but that includes using a kit provided by them. I will take another look at the info.I thought it was expensive.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Legs,

I got long handle ones and they seem to be ok for me to use. They are slightly stronger I think than ordinary ones as well. I can use them fine now but have had them several ears so don't remember if I had to get used to them originally...... I might have done bu they are only an extra 6 or so inches...... I wonder if they do longer ones now :wink: Luv Cris xx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    I tried the long-handled scissors, Legs..........and couldn't use 'em! Found it still required too much pressure at an odd angle for me, but that's because one toe has a very odd nail on it........... I have to go to the chiropodist every 6 - 7 weeks, can see that becoming every 3 - 4 weeks if those scissors ever fail!

Annie

I, too, have some odd toenails Annie so from what you've said I think the long handled ones won't help :roll:
    Hi Legs

Legs, might it be worth having a word with your podiatrist/chiropodist, and see which "implement" they would suggest? You don't want hubby losing an eye, or you losing a toe :shock:

Love from Lynn xxxx

The podiatrist uses the pliers, Lynn, just wondered if other fold found them useful if they used them.
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    my dad was told by his podiatrist never to cut his nails, but to use a long-handled file instead.

not sure if that is helpful or not :? :?

I use one of these in an emergency Wonky but can't bend for a long time and hubby would find a file too slow :roll:
    cthornley wrote:

...........if you find it difficult to reach then you could ask about a referral to get them done for you by a podiatrist

Have been to a podiatrist in the past, cthornley, but I don't drive and am unable to use public transport so this posed problems for me getting there and also they'll only see you every 3 months and by that time my nails are catching on bedsheets and scratching hubby in the night :shock: .....so to save his injured legs hubby took over the care of them. :D
    speedalong wrote:

Speedalong

You don't have to pay if your GP refers you Speedalong but you can go to a podiatrist privately, think it costs about £25 a session, well it does here.
    delboy wrote:
    Workman%20with%20hard-hat%20and%20pneumatic%20drill.jpg

:lol::lol: could be just what the doctor ordered Del :D
    rosebud wrote:
    .............i don't go to the podiatrist for nail cutting it's for another foot problem but I don'y have to pay. Where I am there is a NHS podiatrist within the health centre and you can self refer. you should probably look into it, nothing to loose!

Hi Rosebud, I agree a020.gif
    he's kindly offered to do them for me but im still a bit stubborn and independent (much to his annoyance at times) and dont want to let him just yet... although i may have to if last night was anything to go by. you'd think id just ran a marathon the amount of huffing, puffing and whinging i was doing!! :oops:

caroline x

Hi Caroline, I've found over the years that it's sometimes better to accept help and save your energy for something far more enjoyable :wink:
    tkachev wrote:
    Hi Linda,
    Those long handled scissors are difficult to use for me as you need some power to aim and cut which i havent yet managed.
    So OH does mine with those clippy thing( I prefer scissors) and yes he catches my skin too.

Elizabeth

I have a glass of wine whilst he does them Elizabeth then I don't notice the nipped skin so much :lol::lol:
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Legs,

I got long handle ones and they seem to be ok for me to use. They are slightly stronger I think than ordinary ones as well. I can use them fine now but have had them several ears so don't remember if I had to get used to them originally...... I might have done bu they are only an extra 6 or so inches...... I wonder if they do longer ones now :wink: Luv Cris xx

Maybe you could attach a couple of bean canes Cris to extend the handles :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you all for your replies, I've decided I'm going to get some of the pliers and see how we go with those.

Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Ouch!!!!!

Dont like other peolpe near mine so I do them after a bath and wehn I am at my most flexible.

use to have a lovely pair of scissors, but foolishly (some might say half-wittedly) left them in hand luggage on the way to AMERICA one year and got them (and nearly me!) confiscated :shock:

Irreplaceable they were :(

Love

Toni xx
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I pay for a podiatrist, she comes to the house, I must say that she is very good, not cheap, but trying to cut my own is a nightmare, I like most other people have very thick toe nails, trying to use the nhs is dreadful love Jaspercatxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Ouch!!!!!

Dont like other peolpe near mine so I do them after a bath and wehn I am at my most flexible.

use to have a lovely pair of scissors, but foolishly (some might say half-wittedly) left them in hand luggage on the way to AMERICA one year and got them (and nearly me!) confiscated :shock:

Irreplaceable they were :(

Love

Toni xx

Did you think you'd need a quick trim on the way out ?:?

I don't like other people to do mine either Toni, but these days I have no choice :roll: ......bet it's the highlight of my hubbies week when I ask him to do them ....not :|

I grit my teeth and give him free rein :wink:

Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi, I pay for a podiatrist, she comes to the house, I must say that she is very good, not cheap, but trying to cut my own is a nightmare, I like most other people have very thick toe nails, trying to use the nhs is dreadful love Jaspercatxx

Hi Jaspercat,

Hubby is cheaper and he cleans (detoxes) between my tight toes and afterwards massages my feet with body lotion which is wonderful.

Love, Legs x
  • border
    border Member Posts: 94
    Options
    I too have someone come to the house to do my toe nails. Even soaking them in water they are still difficult to cut and I cannot really bend dow and cut them. I do have to pay somebody though.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    border wrote:
    I too have someone come to the house to do my toe nails. Even soaking them in water they are still difficult to cut and I cannot really bend dow and cut them. I do have to pay somebody though.

Thanks Border, I think we'd all be quite happy if we could paint something on them and they'd drop off never to return again :shock: .....I don't reckon they serve any purpose at all :|

Love, Legs x
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Thanks Rosebud - worth a try if necessary - I hate having my feet touched - they are SO ticklish!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I go to the podiatrist just to get my nails trimmed because before the op I was finding it hard to bend down and was hacking the end of my toes LOL I asked the GP for a referral and got an appointment.
    They say my feet are fine but they will trim my nails every couple of months.....thats not bad {for nothing} and inbetween times they said use a large nail file {broad and long} I got mine in BOOTS and file them, even if I only managed to do one or two a day to keep them short until my next appointment......it would have a nightmare that 6 weeks post op....they didnt get filed even LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • dolittle
    dolittle Member Posts: 240
    Options
    Hey, Legs .... that sounds luvly - massages them with lotion too! Do you think he'll come over and do mine?

My OH got a referral from the GP - he's got gouty hands and me RA. So he went and had them done at the NHS clinic. She said she couldn't take him on as a permanent patient and he should get his wife to do them. He explained I couldn't. Then get your son or daughter to do them .... I would if I had one or the other but I haven't. Then I can only suggest that you ask your neighbour to do them for you. You couldn't make it up, could you! I promise you it's true.

I can just see him padding down their path with a big white fluffy towel wrapped round him (he's not slim!) and a pair of fluffy bath slippers with scissors in hand. Doorbell rings ... 'excuse me, I've just had a bath. Will you cut my toenails for me, please.' Our neighbours laughed their heads off.

We go every couple of months, we have to pay - it costs £40 for both to have our toenails cut.
    Dolittle
  • lindalegs
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi
    I go to the podiatrist just to get my nails trimmed because before the op I was finding it hard to bend down and was hacking the end of my toes LOL I asked the GP for a referral and got an appointment.
    They say my feet are fine but they will trim my nails every couple of months.....thats not bad {for nothing} and inbetween times they said use a large nail file {broad and long} I got mine in BOOTS and file them, even if I only managed to do one or two a day to keep them short until my next appointment......it would have a nightmare that 6 weeks post op....they didnt get filed even LOL

Love
    Hileena

Here Hileena, they make you wait 3 months and I occasionally use the large nail file but some of my toe nails are so thick and I also have a shy toe that hides behind another ...yet the blighter still has a nail which grows :roll:

Love, Legs x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    dolittle wrote:
    Hey, Legs .... that sounds luvly - massages them with lotion too! Do you think he'll come over and do mine?

My OH got a referral from the GP - he's got gouty hands and me RA. So he went and had them done at the NHS clinic. She said she couldn't take him on as a permanent patient and he should get his wife to do them. He explained I couldn't. Then get your son or daughter to do them .... I would if I had one or the other but I haven't. Then I can only suggest that you ask your neighbour to do them for you. You couldn't make it up, could you! I promise you it's true.

I can just see him padding down their path with a big white fluffy towel wrapped round him (he's not slim!) and a pair of fluffy bath slippers with scissors in hand. Doorbell rings ... 'excuse me, I've just had a bath. Will you cut my toenails for me, please.' Our neighbours laughed their heads off.

We go every couple of months, we have to pay - it costs £40 for both to have our toenails cut.
    Dolittle

You mean they didn't suggest you stop a passer-by in the street ...sure they'd be only to happy to cut his toenails for him Dolittle :roll: ....some people don't live in the real world do they :?

I'll send hubby round and all he charges is a blueberry muffin and a pot of coffee ........which sort of body lotion would you like rubbed in? :lol::lol::lol:

Love, Legs x