Arthritis and IBs

Options
slambert
slambert Member Posts: 5
edited 2. Jun 2010, 07:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am sititng here looking 6 months pregnant due to an irritable bowel and in a lot of pain due to my arthritis. I have a raised esr of 61 and feel so unwell. All I get given are painkillers and anti inflammatories wich obviously make my tum worse. I have been diagnosed with interstitial cystitis/sjogrens, osteoarthritis in all major joints and spine and they supsect lupus too!!! I really feel these names mean nothing and without getting to the bottom of what is causing all of this I will never get well. I feel sort of fluey and very tired all of the time.
Believe it or not I AM a positive person and do my best to make something of my day even if its just getting my make up on and maybe seeing a friend (if I can), but today is awful and I wanted to just see if anyone has any suggestions. I know the bladder problems started first years ago and then the bowel, followed by my joints. What can I do to move forward?
I have tried plaquenil, metothrexate ( which made me very very unwell) and various other drugs. I am now taking dyhydracodeine having just stopped tramadol on my doctors advice as he was worried about my bowel.
Sorry to be such a misery as I know you who visit here are all suffering too.

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Slambert,

You do sound a positive person and it's good you make the effort to see friends even when you're feeling grim. It's very rare I let my RA stop me.

Do you have a Rheumatologist? If, yes, you need to contact them because you can't go on feeling as you do :( and if, no, you need to talk to your GP again. :|

The way forward for many of us is just to take each day as it comes and work around our illness, your positive attitude will help tremendously ...trouble it's hard to remain cheerful when we feel grim. :roll:

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    You are having a rough time of it aren't you?

I am not suprised you feel a bit miserable today :(

All of the conditions you list sound inflamatory so surely there IS a connection?

I agree with Legs - get back to the rhuemy/GP if you can - what about eeing a pain clinic - others swear by them.

I also back Legs when she says your attitude will be helping and I like Del's IBS (boss eh? :wink: ) defenition.

You take care

and anything we can do to help we will - even if its just as a sounding board.

Love

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Slambert

I am sorry to read your posting, even being diagnosed with one or two of those ailments is enough to test anyone but yours is becoming a list unfortunately. I really do feel for you. I do not know if you see your gp/rheumy/consultant regularly but I think you should if you are not and make some noises. All too often we feel we are being a nuisance and we are not and if we do not tell the medics and keep on, they most certainly do not visit us. When one is feeling unwell it is often the last thing one wants to do is start making phone calls re appointments and getting one that suits the best and so on if some times of the day are more difficult than others.

It is so good that you are a positive person because it most does go a long way to helping matters.

Do keep calling in, we will most definitely try to support you even if we can come up with no magical answers.

Chin up,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • slambert
    slambert Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I just wanted to thank all the kind people who replied to my post last week. I left the post and then went away for the Bank Holiday. I was glad at least someone heard my desperate plea for help. I do see a rheumatologist, but its very rare as he is always away on some conference or other. I feel the time might have come to change him. Since I posted I have seen my gastroenterologist and he's confirmed my bowel is 'compacted' and this is putting pressure on the bladder. Anyway, without boring you all I am trying to do what he has recommended and will see where I go from here. I am still in pain so its going to take time. I had friend over for the day yesterday and we had a good laugh trying on silly hats and doing other stupid stuff. Why is it some people do not like the sound of others laughing? Well, it cheered me up and today I am very tired and a bit low, but I still had yesterday so thats good. I just find it incredible there are so many of us in pain with these dreadful conditions and hope one day they can find a cure. Hope whoever is on the forum today is not having too bad a day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I am sure I read somewhere that these conditions are linked, but not everyone gets the combination. I have a friend who has had IBS for years, and has now been diagnosed with OA in her hips, spine and neck. She's on nothing so far, refuses to go to the docs and I can understand why!

Did you have a good Bank Holiday? Despite the weather?! I hope the dy-wotnot-codeine is helping and that things seem a little brighter. Dreamdiasy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben