nhs crutches

Options
gemmapetken
gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
edited 28. May 2010, 04:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
i have been given nhs crutches for my hip

can i do anything to make them look cool?
i am 28 and dont really want to use them!!1

gemma

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

They aren't very cool are they? Functional though sorry you have had to have them.

I spent a bit of time on them back in my 20's and asked the hospital if I could pimp them up a bit.... They said as long as it didn't damage them and could be removed if they came back it was fine. Not sure if that would still be the case now but might be worth asking. I used a mixture of paint and transfers for mine. I was lucky and got off them though they are still here in case...... Hope your ok in your self? Cris x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Gemma

I reckon they will say the same as they did to Cris. so long as you dont damage them and can be retuned to theor delightful appearnace after you've finished with them....

What you going to do?? Got anything in mind?

Colours that express your personality would be good or colours you opften wear?

I hope they help at least and take some of the pressure off your joints.

Love

Toni xx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 26. May 2010, 19:36
    Options
    Hi Gemma,

I have seen coloured and even designer crutches for sale online ... if you think you are going to get the use out of them might be worth investigating. Tho must say a lady who works in our local Co op has customised her own metallic walking stick and it looks great.

Probably worth checking first with physios re decorating them as a formality - though in all reality most of us hang on to our crutches as even if we aren't reliant on them all the time they come in handy now and then.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Gemma, I was feeling the same as you although im older than you.
    I brought mine from a mobility shop locally & choose Turquoise as they match my winter coat. Dont stand out to much then.
    Im sure you can jaz them up with stickers etc & they wouldnt mind.
    Mine have oraganomic (sp) handles too so i dont have to grip them to hard. My hands kinda just rest on them. Not like the hossie crutches with the grip underneath.
    I hope you like you jazzed up version when youve done them.
    debs
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Gemma

I have some bright blue crutches but they have the Fischer type handles (ergonomic) and they hurt my wrists and hands.

The NHS ones I prefer, so I am going to crochet lots of flowers, corsage type, in many colours and hang them from the handles and tie them to the stick part.

You could try some handbag charms to hang from the handles and some bright coloured ribbon for the stick part maybe.

Hope you get some inspiration.

Kath
  • gemmapetken
    Options
    thanks for all your suggestions

i am going to go with blue ribbon for this weekend as i am going to wembley to see millwall play

afterwards i may think about the sticky back plastic

i can never guage my husbands reaction to my crutches. dont know wether he is embarassed with me!!

gxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been on them permanently since 2002. I buy my own, so I have blue ones, silver ones and a smart pair of bronze. I always go for the ergonomic handles as they are so much more comfortable.

If in the mood I thread ribbons thro the unblocked holes, tie a popped partypopper or four round the top, so they look as though they are in hula skirts, and at Christmas it's tinsel or battery-operated fairy lights for evening use.

I have also used Hammerite to paint them, but that does chip easily. I am now investigating the magnets that hold them together for easier stacking when out and about.

I hate, loathe and detest them with a vengeance but luckily I am not a looker, am middle-aged (ergo fat and invisible) and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. This is much harder for you, I realise that. Dress them up, they are accessories in their own revolting way. Crutches should reflect the character of their owner as much as poss! Get creative with nail varnish! (But buy your own: the NHS loses a fortune in un -returned crutches.) Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    Options
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm no youngster but when I first had to use a stick I fought against it but now I just buy the fanciest brightest one i can find {not necessarily the most expensive 'cause I dont use it all the time} So I really sympathise with you.
    Can you buy some of your own either on line or in a shop and then you can do what you want with them.....if you have to use them you might as well make a statement
    Good Luck

Lov e
    Hileena
  • gemmapetken
    Options
    thanks

my lovely hubby has got me ribbons for tomorrow.

gxxxx
    :P