Itchy Rash and MTX

Options
breane
breane Member Posts: 392
edited 31. May 2010, 16:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I took my second dose of MTX last Sat. and yesterday afternoon I noticed the lower part of my arms felt itchy.When I looked closely I could see a slight bumpy effect to the skin and it's slightly red.I did wonder if it was because I had been out in the sun.The itchiness is nowhere else on my body,only my arms had been exposed to the sun.I wondered if anyone else had this when starting MTX.This morning the bumpiness is still there so not sure if I should let my GP know incase it's due to the MTX and I should stop taking it. Breane.x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is the reaction I had to tablet meth. My hospital took me off it straight away - contact your department or GP today if you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I agree with DD best get it checked out Breane.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Breane,

Me too... best to get it checked out. Cris x
  • breane
    Options
    Hi again,Well I rang the surgery about the rash and the GP wanted to see me straight away.He had a good look at the rash and told me I needed to have a blood test done urgently so got the surgery nurse to do it for me.The results should be back tomorrow and I have to ring the surgery at 3.30 if my GP hasn't rung before then.The strange thing is, the rash is only on the lower part of the arms,it doesn't appear to be anywhere else.I did wonder if it was due to being out in the sun,perhaps the sun's rays reacted with the MTX although my GP didn't agree or disagree.All he said was that when on MTX they take any sort of side effect very seriously.My next dose is this Sat. and I go on holiday Monday so want to get it sorted before I go.Glad I took your advice and spoke to my GP.Thank you. Breane.x
  • pennycrayon
    pennycrayon Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Hi,

I get exactly the same sort of rash but on my legs. Its always best to get a blood test when this kind of thing happens because then they check your levels and adjust your medication as needed. Hope you get it sorted-I know it isnt pleasant.

xx
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    What is MTX? Is it Methotrexate? I am on Methotrexate and have bumps and rashes all the time. My GP doesn't even acknowledge me when I point them out! They are unsightly and all over my body, hands, scalp and face. Please keep us posted about your test results to see what is the cause.
    Have a great day today!
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,926
    Options
    Hi Breani
    i have a rash on my arms both sides and on
    the back of my hands and on my back,
    i have oa i'm not on mtx.
    i shall get to see the doc tomorrow.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • breane
    Options
    Hi,Well I've had the result of my blood test and it was OK. :) However,my GP has told me to stop taking the MTX and Folic Acid until I see the rheumy nurse June 7th.He thinks it could be the MTX reacting to sunshine but he's not sure.I've been using the Eurax cream and the rash is a lot better.Not completely gone but not so noticable.I've also had sore eyes so don't know whether that's down to the MTX as well.I am due for another eye test end of June due to being on Hydroxy.I have a weaken part on the retina(which could turn into a rip or tear) so the optician will take another photo of the back of the eye to make sure the Hydroxy hasn't caused any damage to that part of the eye. Breane.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm glad you got this sorted, as I said I was taken off tablet meth immediately and I suspect you might be too. I know that the rash is a counter-indication and my hospital was quick off the mark. Good luck, let us know what happens. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    carola wrote:
    What is MTX? Is it Methotrexate? I am on Methotrexate and have bumps and rashes all the time. My GP doesn't even acknowledge me when I point them out! They are unsightly and all over my body, hands, scalp and face. Please keep us posted about your test results to see what is the cause.
    Have a great day today!

Hi Carola,

Yes, Mtx or sometimes Mxt is Methotrexate. You'll also see it as Metho or Methoject.

It sounds as though you should ask your GP what he thinks is the cause of your rash and also ask for a blood test.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Legs
    Thanks for that - I'll get onto it first thing in the morning.
    Someone mentioned sore eyes also? My right eye is sore so taken my contact lenses out. I've had eye ulcers twice before due to being run down and I know that taking Methotrexate lowers immune system but hoping it isn't ulcers again. I'll ask doc about that too.
    Keep smiling :lol:
    Carol
  • fourferrets
    fourferrets Member Posts: 44
    Options
    This week my hands have broken out in a lumpy rash, looks like little blisters but not itchy and not bursting! I have an appt on Wed @ the hospital for bloods I'll mention it then. Odd that a few here have broken out this week/fortnight!