support for ankle

Options
sheltiebud
sheltiebud Member Posts: 14
edited 27. May 2010, 16:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi guys

i have arthritis which is more prefound in my ankle at time i walk with a stick but can have days when i can manage without. A friend told me to get a support brace for my ankle but im not sure if this is the right idea as sometimes its not a good idea to wear one

what are other sufferes thougths on this and if seems good idea where would i get one from

many thanks
Gail :P

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have been on crutches since 2002 and combine them with knee and ankle supports on the bad days, otherwise I can't walk at all. I buy supports from my local chemist because they are cheaper than Boots. Measure your ankle so you know which size to buy.

I am now firmly of the opinion that the abliity to walk without any type of elastic support or physical prop is highly over-rated. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    My son has a weak ankle due to football injuries and always wears an ankle support, when playing a game as he finds it very beneficial . He buys his over the net from an American site.

Wouldn't the OT be able to help you with ankle support?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Gail,

Nice to meet you.

I am never sure about supports unless you really need them only because in my backs case the brace gave the muscles a chance to go on holiday and I took ages getting them back after binning the brace. I did actually need it at the time but ...... I think there is nothing wrong with the sports ones but recon either asking a physio or OT might be better for you first? I hope you can get some support that's going to help you. and again hi and welcome. Cris x
  • sheltiebud
    sheltiebud Member Posts: 14
    Options
    thank you for your replies - I was wondering if the support would benfit me as i walk with a stick and the way i move effects my hip etc maybe the support might ease that

something to look into :lol:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It costs little to find out. Try it - you might like it! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben