Back to work

margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
I was off work for a while with my OA i decided to reduce my hours and go back,as i cant afford to stay on ssp. Im a care assistant doing night duty, my OA is in my spine and im in pain constantly, i spend most of my days off in bed trying to recover from my shift!! Ive applied for Dla but still waiting!! Is there anything else i can do? I love my job but I dont know how long i can cope iwth this.
Margaret

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope you are successful in your application for DLA but it does take time to sort out - months rather than weeks.

Regarding your work, I don't think there is anything you can do. It's tough, physical work I guess, involving lifting etc. Hopefully nights are quieter than days tho! Take painkillers an hour before your shift starts so they have a chance to kick in - that's all I can think of. Sorry. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Margaret - you can ask for a referral to occy health. You want them to declare you are covered by dda. You can also ask for an assessment by the disablity officer at the job centre. They will assess what modifications you need made to the job to enable you to carry it out and can help with funding. It is worth having a think yourself so that you are prepared ... (egs access to hoist for lifting patients, comfy chair to sit in, regular breaks .... adaptions to help you access computer ...etc )

Pity poor Iris can't type at the moment she is much better at advising on this thread than I am.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.