Hi, Welcome!

The community is a safe space for people living with and connected to arthritis to ask questions and share experiences. Get started by registering here and posting your first comment or question!

Sign In with a Versus Arthritis account

Help us improve our website, chatbot and online community
We’d love your help to improve our digital services. It’s important to us that our website, chatbot and online community continue to support and provide information people with arthritis in the right way. We’re excited to be doing research to understand more about what’s working for you and what’s not so we can continue to improve what we’re doing.
You don’t need to be familiar with our digital services or a digital native to take part. The research will take one hour and will be run by a research consultancy SnapOut. Simply fill in the survey below to get involved. Together, we can continue to do more for people living with arthritis.

Fill in this survey to take part

Back to work

margareth64margareth64 Posts: 148
I was off work for a while with my OA i decided to reduce my hours and go back,as i cant afford to stay on ssp. Im a care assistant doing night duty, my OA is in my spine and im in pain constantly, i spend most of my days off in bed trying to recover from my shift!! Ive applied for Dla but still waiting!! Is there anything else i can do? I love my job but I dont know how long i can cope iwth this.


  • dreamdaisydreamdaisy Posts: 31,567 ✭✭✭
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I hope you are successful in your application for DLA but it does take time to sort out - months rather than weeks.

    Regarding your work, I don't think there is anything you can do. It's tough, physical work I guess, involving lifting etc. Hopefully nights are quieter than days tho! Take painkillers an hour before your shift starts so they have a chance to kick in - that's all I can think of. Sorry. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalongspeedalong Posts: 3,347
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Margaret - you can ask for a referral to occy health. You want them to declare you are covered by dda. You can also ask for an assessment by the disablity officer at the job centre. They will assess what modifications you need made to the job to enable you to carry it out and can help with funding. It is worth having a think yourself so that you are prepared ... (egs access to hoist for lifting patients, comfy chair to sit in, regular breaks .... adaptions to help you access computer ...etc )

    Pity poor Iris can't type at the moment she is much better at advising on this thread than I am.

    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
Sign In or Register to comment.