mobility for 9 year old

butterflywings
butterflywings Member Posts: 25
edited 5. Jun 2010, 16:21 in My child has arthritis
Hi

I just wanted to ask on this forum what sort of 'pedestrian transport' you use for your children?

My daughter (who is obviously 9 years old) has JIA and for the past few years we've used the Mclaren Major Elite (the big buggy), as before that she was ok in her normal 'baby' buggy. As she is quite well in herself and is ok at walking short distances, she only really needs to use it when we walk around shops/mall etc and also when we walk a long distance rather than drive.

She will be 10 in July and we were thinking of getting a wheelchair. Mainly because of her age and also there are school issues, whereby her friends are not the supportive kind and my daughter never really 'walks' to school (it's either by car or she's sat on my bike). Our occupational therapist said that it may be a good idea to invest in one purely for trips out and with the walking issue.

I just wondered what everyone else used or possibly your views before I make my decision.

thank you x

Comments

• illihor
    illihor Member Posts: 283
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    My daughter is 4 and we've just been issued with a wheelchair. I was umming and arghing over getting the buggy as she's to big for normal pushchairs. When we went for the appointment we were given the option but Kayleigh wanted a wheelchair so that she could try and push herself on good days.

I've actually found it a god send now as even on bad days she can go to school, she just stays in the chair and doesn't have to worry about moving around whereas pushchair they were finding it hard to comprehend her need and just saw a pushchair and her being "lazy"

We have plenty of room in our car for this so that's another thing you'll have to think about. We know a 10 year no think she's 11 year old with arthur and she's in a wheelchair her mum said it was the best thing as she used a pushchair for years and it's so much easier to mover her around in the wheelchair.

I think it's a very personal choice one that you must both agree on. Does your local nhs provide them as we have a disablement team here who deals in all that type of stuff so once she outgrows it we have to give it back to nhs in exchange for a bigger one.

Michelle xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 5. Jun 2010, 16:20
    Hi, a wheel chair would definitely be more age appropriate - you shouldn't have to buy it and should be able get one on the NHS,

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • butterflywings
    Thank you all so much for your replies, so much appreciated.

I have an estate car so room in that wouldn't be a problem. After reading your replies I am going to get her a wheelchair. As you said when people see her in the buggy they probably do think she's lazy whereas in a wheelchair they could probably see she does actually have a disability.

I will try to sell the buggy. It was given to me by a friend anyway, but she no longer wants it so I will sell it for her.

I did ask about help towards the cost of a wheelchair or through the NHS but apparently because my daughter is not so dependant on one, they won't fund it so I will have to purchase one myself. It's wrong I know but I don't think there is much I can do about it.

Thank you all again.

x
  • speedalong
    Hi just a thought,

There are grants available for such things from various sources the first two charities that spring to mind are cerebra and whizzkids. Also, these days wheelchairs are often dumped/stored once children grow out of them ... why don't you ask to pop an ad at the local special school.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • butterflywings
    Thank you Speedalong - I will definately look into those charities and the ad in the paper or my local special school is a fantastic idea.

Thank you so much.

x
  • speedalong
    Let us know how you get on - good luck.

Speedalong