The Holy Grail (or a girl's eternal quest. . . )

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 30. May 2010, 04:22 in Community Chit-chat archive
. . . for the perfect handbag. I was musing on this earlier as my Avon order was delivered today, including a rather smart Antler shoulder bag. It's a lovely, soft-handle plastic material, black-cherry coloured (but a little lighter, like black cherry yoghurt) effort, with many inside pockets and a large central compartment. I was stocking it with my usual standbys, when it dawned on my just how many bags I have on the go at any one time.

Right: three Kiplings (all the same design, but in blue, brown and pink), two Radleys, (messenger style, brown and black), a Nike backpack, (blue and grey) two Betty Barclay efforts (same design, one brown, one blue, magnet closures (a nightmare for phones and hotel keycards) and a Kangol. (brown - usually brought out for holidays). There is also THE BAG, my 50th birthday present from my best girlfriend. It's the only designer one I have, Orla Kiely, the pear pattern, in blue. This is for high-days and holidays only and I text my friend with the info of when and where it's being used.

Despite this obscene quantity of bags, not one is exactly right. They all have good features, but they don't all share the same good features, if you see what I mean. One of my boys made me laugh - I couldn't find my glasses, I said 'I must have left them in my handbag.' He looked around the floor of my office and dryly said 'Which one?' whilst lifting one eyebrow. God, I wish I could do that, it gives such a lovely expression to the face!

All bags are stocked with the following: plastic ready-made reading glasses, a pen, a small pack of tissues, painkillers, asthma inhaler, a comb or hairbrush, lip salve and a front door key. When I shift from one bag to the other all I have to do is transfer my purse, mobile, car keys and blue badge. Simples. I have been collecting bags for years now, and I do change between them because colour is important, they have to match what I'm wearing. (The black Radley will be out soon - my funeral/cremation bag. Only time I use it.)

Am I alone in loving handbags? I suspect not! What's in yours? Are you the sort that has an emergency sewing kit, plasters, dog biscuits, half-eaten Mars bars etc? None of my bags contains make-up, I don't wear it because one cannot improve upon perfection (and I'm too lazy to prat about with it.) DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    zxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz a040.gif ......really
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz d045.gif .......amazing
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............ f030.gif spot on
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... f015.gif ....wow

Sorry must dash..........really interesting............. s010.gif

Rob x.... a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Daisyd

good to see you.

handbags - yes none of mine are perfect either :(

in fact i very often just shove some money and mobile in my pockets and get on with it. travel light so to speak :D

I have no designer handbags and wouldnt know one if I saw one!! :oops: Luckily my youngest daughter is more than able to help me out in that dept :wink:

The bag I use most contains receipts (copious) and tissues (some used :oops: ) a couple of hairy sweets, mobile, purse computer for schools vouchers, eye drops tablets and more rubbish :oops:

I can, however, raise one eyebrow :D

Clever eh?

Love

Toni xx
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    i have lots and lots of bags, different colours,sizes,designs,practicalities................
  • dreamdaisy
    Robertis and Del - I did put a 'girl's' in the title, love the emoticons tho! Your gender is greatly outnumberd on these forums - is it because more females than males get arthritis or are men wary/dismissive of places like this? I think both of you (mell, livinglegend et al) add a great deal to the discussions. DD
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    sorry but i do not really do bags got a few but bo not always use one only when i have to take glasses purse and phones(got 2) then need something to put them in during the day use a shopping bag that goes on my shoulder lol val
    val
  • robertls
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Robertis and Del - I did put a 'girl's' in the title, love the emoticons tho! Your gender is greatly outnumberd on these forums - is it because more females than males get arthritis or are men wary/dismissive of places like this? I think both of you (mell, livinglegend et al) add a great deal to the discussions. DD

Errrrrr......OK..........what do you want to borrow???? o030.gif

Rob x.... a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • valval
    robertls wrote:
    dreamdaisy wrote:

Errrrrr......OK..........what do you want to borrow???? o030.gif

Rob x.... a045.gif

spider spray lol
    val
  • pluggathome
    pluggathome Member Posts: 171
    Radley, Radley and more Radley.... that's the story of my handbags. I love their character.

I also have some Fossil and Fiorelli.

I even bought meself a little iddy biddy cream one to go with my wedding dress.....they refused to let me take it down the aisle tho.... :(

You're right though, they are never exactly what you want. That's why we HAVE to have so many. To meet our many needs!

There is a new Radley one out now that is just loverly but I'm having stern words with myself, I don't need it, it's not cheap (they never are, you go without to have em or they are cumulative b'day/xmas pressies), I will be made redundant soon so the money must go into the kitty.....but.... if I get a new job soon.....well....I'll need sommat to celebrate now won't i? :lol::lol:
  • valval
    Radley, Radley and more Radley.... that's the story of my handbags. I love their character.

I even bought meself a little iddy biddy cream one to go with my wedding dress.....they refused to let me take it down the aisle tho.... :(

You're right though, they are never exactly what you want. That's why we HAVE to have so many. To meet our many needs!

There is a new Radley one out now that is just loverly but I'm having stern words with myself, I don't need it, it's not cheap (they never are, you go without to have em or they are cumulative b'day/xmas pressies), I will be made redundant soon so the money must go into the kitty.....but.... if I get a new job soon.....well....I'll need sommat to celebrate now won't i? :lol::lol:

ok i know i should know this but what is a radley ???????????? i am so sad have no idea
    val
  • pluggathome
    valval wrote:

ok i know i should know this but what is a radley ???????????? i am so sad have no idea

Sorry hon, Radley is a brand of handbags. Don't know if they are in the realms of gucci but i just love em.xx
  • robertls
    ZZZZZZZZZ.......Oh!!!... a045.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......Good!!... d040.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ........Radley.......yer...... d050.gif

ZZZZZZZ......Kipling.....good..... f025.gif

Oh....telephone.....honest....... n025.gif

Rob x... a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • valval
    thanks last one i got was from pound shop lol it went with out fit lol
    val
  • pluggathome
    robertls wrote:
    ZZZZZZZZZ.......Oh!!!... a045.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......Good!!... d040.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZZ........Radley.......yer...... d050.gif

ZZZZZZZ......Kipling.....good..... f025.gif

Oh....telephone.....honest....... n025.gif

Rob x... a045.gif

lah lah lah lah, i can't hear you :lol::lol::lol:
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Handbags are such easy things to buy, it does not matter what shape, height or size you are, every handbag fits. :D My last one was bought last week from a charity shop. I was not looking for a bag, but I was lured to it because of the size and colour. It was brand new still had the price inside Barratts, £22, got it for 6 quid. A lovely red colour with zips and buckles and pockets. My daughter loved it when she saw it yesterday and everything can go in it if you are out for the day. Brill buy :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    babycham wrote:
    lulu Guinness just lovely .........Babycham

got couple of lulus..one with dog in parlour,not used it yet as too nice, then a D and (wheres my ampersand,tired,cant see it)G one with my name on it,in the sale,kipling ones,radley ones...i love em.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    DD, I don't do handbags and never have, so I was bemused to find 11 lurking when we first started to sort things out for the move earlier in the year.

I do really need a messenger type bag to use on bad days but none of those I've tried has had enough capacity to take all I need with me.

Will keep looking......

Annie
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Brilliant topic, my bestest bag is a J M Davidson in stone, but the bags I use everyday are a faith one the size of a house - with more pockets than I've got rooms, and a smaller baguette shaped one from M&S limited collection. I really love designer bags, but can't afford the prices!!!

Jean123 :D
  • dreamdaisy
    Robertis, you're jealous. Your inner girl is shrieking for release - go on boy, be brave! What's that thing that Hammond (and now Clarkson) carry around? It's some sort of camera bag, ochre canvas, brown leather straps, a little like a satchel - it looks good, a real man-bag, no mincing required.

Radley: it's the quality of the leather, so soft. I regularly polish mine to keep them in tip-top condition.

In my defence, all my bags are bought in sales, I have never paid full-price for any of them. The Kiplings are the most practical for every-day, they're made from some sort of anti-rip nylon but I can't remember the model name. Oh, I just love bags. Shoes are out, cannot afford proper perfume any more, so bags it is (plus Primark for sunglasses - £2 per pair, I have now lost count.) DD
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

can't decide which camp I belong in ..... am so with Rob for most of the time - function is all, and I can't be bothered what they look like or who made them :roll:

but then ....... I found myself with handbag envy for the first time the other week .... friend had a great pink bag ............. wanted one! so on Saturday when there was a lovely pink bag in the charity shop, complete with numerous pockets each with a zip that had a matching toggle (aha! zips I can open :D:D ) I just had to have it ......... but I can honestly say it was a bargain at £3.50! :lol::lol::lol:

so ......... sorryr Rob :oops: :roll: :wink:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    I must have half a dozen bags all different sizes depending on where I'm going and what I'll be needing, they range from pretty to practical. I just move my basic things from bag to bag i.e. wallet, blue badge, medical record, contact list, paracetamol, mobile and pkt of condoms. :shock:

You girls who don't use bags how do you carry your stuff? :?

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Ah Legs that's easy.... pockets.... my body warmer has more pockets and room in it than any handbag :wink: Doubles up s a security blanket as well :wink: Luv Cris who is wondering if she is a bit odd.... xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Just thought.....

I have two male friends who have manbags.....

sort of shoulder bags really....

you not got one our Rob?

(note to self - bet a manbag for Rob for Christmas)

Love

Toni xx
  • robertls
    ZZZZZZ.........functional g080.gif ..

ZZZZZZ......Designer..... s020.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ................pockets..... u055.gif

ZZZZZZZZZZZ......zips......toggles........ n022.gif

ZZZZZ......... s040.gif

Rob x... a045.gif
    Roba045.gif
  • valval
    skezier wrote:
    Ah Legs that's easy.... pockets.... my body warmer has more pockets and room in it than any handbag :wink: Doubles up s a security blanket as well :wink: Luv Cris who is wondering if she is a bit odd.... xx

well join the club i have zips on pockets for the same reason so we can be odd together.
    but did buy a hand bag today lol it for the world cup got st georges flag on come on england lol it was £6.99 splashed out :D:D
    val
  • dreamdaisy
    I forgot the melted After Eights that are also a common factor in my bags. Our local Indian restaurant always gives me three, which I wrap up for later, then forget to eat. I have just extracted two lots from the pink Kipling, it's a pink day today. DD