Generics

dolittle
dolittle Member Posts: 240
edited 27. May 2010, 12:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can I ask if any of you have had their meds changed from 'branded' to 'generic' - sourced through one of the drug 'brokers' that are used now.

For instance, my steroid tablets have been changed to a different supplier and they don't seem to be as effective as the others. I've done a little experiment with the branded box of half doses which I had, but making the dosage up to the one I should take (4 pills instead of 2). The day I took the branded pills was much better. Anyone else had this? Noticed it with my anti-inflam as well.

By the way folks .... I've just had a bath! Haven't had a bath for 2 years! (Where's everyone gone?) A shower is just not the same. I bought myself an inflatable bathlift! Absolute bliss!!!!!!! I'm ready for anything now. Heavans, I feel so much better! Husband's hidden it now because he couldn't get me out of the tub.
Do

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Do

the generic medication is the same as the branded.

An example is an asthma inhaler. It's a grey one called ventolin (active ingredient is salbutamol). Ventolin is the trade name the generic name is salbutamol. Ventolin is more expensive to buy than a salbutamol inhaler that has no trade name. Hope that makes sense.

Janie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Congrats on the bath! How lovely for you. I haven't had one since, oooh about 1998 I think, but I could be wrong (probably am, usually are).

Regarding the meds, yes, I have. I was on Celebrex (excellent, visibly reduced inflammation, no need for omeprazole) then my GP changed them to a generic Naproxen (because they're cheaper, but now I take an extra med too, the omep, which has also been changed to a cheaper version). Nap does nothing to reduce the inflammation/pain - that's taken care of by Humira. As the humira was being so effective I took myself off the nap/omep, but pain levels slowly rose so the hospital advised me to start them again. I've been on them for two months, arthritis has spread and the pain hasn't gone, so I'm stopping them again. Pointless pills as far as I'm concerned.

I do have a stash of Celebrex, which I still occasionally use when it's all too much. They work. I have requested them again but been denied. Ho-hum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben