Hormones and arthur/fatigue

Options
pluggathome
pluggathome Member Posts: 171
edited 31. May 2010, 08:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Bit of a question for the ladies really...I hope you don't mind...

Does anyone else find that their fatigue and aches go through the roof at 'those times'.

I have really struggled these last few months and wondered if it was an arthur/fatigue thingy and the hormone riot just makes things worse or just getting old and me changing.

A bit of a personal one I know, but doc and rhuemy are male and can only give me doc viewpoint as oppose to real life.

If you would rather pm then that's cool.

Thanks for reading

Pluggxx

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi yes was away this time some where warm and yes did feel worse at this time more stiff and aching not to mention needing a nap lol it one of the thing that we have to put up with it the water retention i think. putting extra pressure on joints but that only my opinion val
    val
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    yes, yes and yes...most definately,.
    The worst is when you get a flare at the same time,,, worse thing i have ever felt. fatigue is worse.... fever is unbearable.
    I have mentioned it to my GP - also male and he jsut sighed... dont think it is textbook symptom but a definate for me.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Yes Plugg, is the simple answer to that one!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hi plug. You don't mention your age: I was 37 when my PA started and yes, it was certainly worse when on. I then lost an ovary at 42 and things went rapidly downhill from there-on-in. I stopped periods in April 2007 (aged 48 - Hallelujah! There may be some sort of greater being!) but I am still suffering from menopausal hot flushes, general dippiness and so on, and my PA has gained a huge amount of ground in the past year.

I am sure that the general hormonal surges that the fairer sex endures does make arthritis worse - and my guess would be OA especially, as osteoporosis is a greater risk as oestrogen declines. There is absolutely no point in mentioning this to any males whatsoever, bless them, they don't have a clue, and why should they? Their hormones remain at relatively stable levels throughout post-puberty life (and the fuss they make about prostate exams - oh for God's sake, grow some). It is a proven point that women are more sensitive about pain when they are most fertile and when they are on.

I am glad to be done with the whole period malarkey, but I do remember things being worse. Now it's just crap the whole time. Ho hum. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pluggathome
    Options
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies, was beginning to wonder if it was just me!

Dreamdaisy, i'm 35. I've never had a particularly pleasant time with our visitor but these last few months just standing up in me own skin at that time has been pants.

Maybe they take it all away for me soon. Have asked them more than once and they say no, too young.

Pluggxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Hi girls, I had to have a total hysterectomy at 34 so haven't had the usual problems (I'm 65 now) but unless I am going really dippy I amalways worse when the moon is full! Anyone else find this?

Annie
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Plug, they won't take it all away unless there are good health grounds. I asked for a total at the age of 24, certain I never wanted children. They wouldn't, I never changed my mind, and thus ended up spending hundreds of pounds on towels etc. Did you know they charge VAT on that stuff but not on shaving gear? Apparently shaving gear is not considered a luxury, it is an essential, but sanitary wear is not. Barmy. Mind you, that was a few years ago, come to think of it. Perhaps things have changed. Somehow I doubt it. How about taking the pill full time? The chap who developed it built in a 'period break' because he thought women would want that. Prat. Twerp. Banker. (you know what I mean with that last one). Suggest that to your GP and see what reaction you get. It might just work.

Annie, sweetie, that's just you! I now have visions of you howling at the moon! How's the new house? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • pluggathome
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Plug, they won't take it all away unless there are good health grounds. I asked for a total at the age of 24, certain I never wanted children. They wouldn't, I never changed my mind, and thus ended up spending hundreds of pounds on towels etc. Did you know they charge VAT :shock: !!!!WHAT!!!! :shock: on that stuff but not on shaving gear? Apparently shaving gear is not considered a luxury, it is an essential, but sanitary wear is not. Barmy. Mind you, that was a few years ago, come to think of it. Perhaps things have changed. Somehow I doubt it. How about taking the pill full time? The chap who developed it built in a 'period break' because he thought women would want that. Prat. Twerp. Banker. (you know what I mean with that last one). Suggest that to your GP and see what reaction you get. It might just work.

Annie, sweetie, that's just you! I now have visions of you howling at the moon! How's the new house? DD

Blooming flip and whatnot!
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Plug, they won't take it all away unless there are good health grounds. I asked for a total at the age of 24, certain I never wanted children. They wouldn't, I never changed my mind, and thus ended up spending hundreds of pounds on towels etc. Did you know they charge VAT :shock: !!!!WHAT!!!! :shock: on that stuff but not on shaving gear? Apparently shaving gear is not considered a luxury, it is an essential, but sanitary wear is not. Barmy. Mind you, that was a few years ago, come to think of it. Perhaps things have changed. Somehow I doubt it. How about taking the pill full time? The chap who developed it built in a 'period break' because he thought women would want that. Prat. Twerp. Banker. (you know what I mean with that last one). Suggest that to your GP and see what reaction you get. It might just work.

Blooming flip and whatnot!

Yeah, I thought it was just me............I'm a secret werewolf, so secret even I don't know about it............

I still maintain that I am worse at a full moon.

Annie
  • pluggathome
    Options
    Hi Plugg

I was also 48 when it all stopped for me - yayyy!!!

Had no classic menopausal symptoms though - no flushes, nothing. It all just stopped. But I have wondered if I got RA instead of the menopause :? :? :?

A "lovely" male GP I saw many years ago, when I was having problems, and could barely leave the house, it was so bad, just fobbed me off and told me it was just a "social inconvenience"!!!! As DD rightly said - banker :!:

So I'm sorry, but have had no experience of arthur at that time, but I don't doubt for a second that it's worse for most women then.

Anyone need a hot water bottle :wink:

Love, Lynn xxxxx

Hi Lynn, Send over the hot water bottle.

If a doc had said to me that it was just a social inconvenience at the time when our little freind was hear i'd have most likely ripped his head off with my bare hands. Myy little friend has a nasty temper! :oops:

pluggxx
  • jcp123
    jcp123 Bots Posts: 16
    Options
    Another one here, my flare are definetely worse at "the time of the month"

I'm awful and I'm always so happy when the week is over! :oops:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had a total hystorectomy at the age of 30 and went straight on to HRT. I'm 55 now, and still having it in the patch form, which ist the only type of HRT I've had.

I had a bone density scan a couple of months back and the technician that did it said that she could tell from the good condition of my bones that I had been having HRT. Mind you, I still have oa, but I'm not very likely to break my wrist in the way older women do! :lol: Sorry, just thought I'd add that!! :wink:

Love Sue
  • loobizaz
    loobizaz Member Posts: 2
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    Hi girls, I had to have a total hysterectomy at 34 so haven't had the usual problems (I'm 65 now) but unless I am going really dippy I amalways worse when the moon is full! Anyone else find this?

Annie

This made me laugh - I have many more aches and terrible fatigue a few days before my period - and it just so happened that the worst flare in ages has coincided not only with the start of my period, but I believe it was also a full moon on Thurs 27th!....lol :)
    I think the moon is supposed to influence menstruation?

I could just imagine putting the full moon theory to my GP/rheumy - who are both male - the look on their faces would be worth capturing!
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Love it!!!! hehe - I know think about us having smear tests done - cant be worse than that!! lol

dreamdaisy wrote:
    Hi plug. You don't mention your age: I was 37 when my PA started and yes, it was certainly worse when on. I then lost an ovary at 42 and things went rapidly downhill from there-on-in. I stopped periods in April 2007 (aged 48 - Hallelujah! There may be some sort of greater being!) but I am still suffering from menopausal hot flushes, general dippiness and so on, and my PA has gained a huge amount of ground in the past year.

I am sure that the general hormonal surges that the fairer sex endures does make arthritis worse - and my guess would be OA especially, as osteoporosis is a greater risk as oestrogen declines. There is absolutely no point in mentioning this to any males whatsoever, bless them, they don't have a clue, and why should they? Their hormones remain at relatively stable levels throughout post-puberty life (and the fuss they make about prostate exams - oh for God's sake, grow some). It is a proven point that women are more sensitive about pain when they are most fertile and when they are on.

I am glad to be done with the whole period malarkey, but I do remember things being worse. Now it's just crap the whole time. Ho hum. Dreamdaisy