burning eyes

Options
maxinebarratt
maxinebarratt Member Posts: 5
edited 29. May 2010, 11:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
maybe this is a coincidence, but my eyes have started burning at times. I also feel like i'm coming down with flu then it just goes away. My appointment isnt till next month so still none the wiser :?:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    What sort of arthritis do you have? What meds are you on? I recognise your name but I cannot recall your details. I suppose hayfever could be described as causing a 'burning eyes' sensation but I suspect you suspect it's a side effect. More info please! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi Maxine, I have this sensation and have been told it is the arthritis causing dry eyes. I get eye drops from my gp, called Visco.....something or other! They work well.
    Sally
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Maxine

Although you have not yet had a diagnosis, it could be dry eyes. I was dx with dry eyes years ago and have OA. It comes and goes now. I describe it as a burning, stinging sensation in the eyes and it is most unpleasant. Hypromellose eye drops (artificial tears) which were prescribed for me, sometimes help, which can be bought over the counter at chemists.

I hope you get some answers at your appointment.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi I get very dry, itchy eyes from time to time and if I rub them it makes to so much worse, but its hard not to!!! I put mine down to heyfever and have some antihestimine drops that I've bought. I've got OA.

I do know that some people do get this problem with RA, so I'd mentio it to your rheummy or GP, next time you go. If its really bad or your eyes are very red, perhaps you should see your GP straight away. Eyes are so important and delicate, you need to be carful with them, I think. I've always worn glasses and have terrible sight without them, so I think it makes me a bit more carful!!! :shock: :D
    Love Sue
  • rebecca1
    rebecca1 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I have RA and I too have dry burning eyes. I thought it was too much use of the computer. I bought a black cover for the screen (cant remember what it's called) It has helped a bit.

The last time I went for my rhumi app was asked if my eyes had deteriorated.When I told her she gave me a quick sight test and I was amazed that my left eye is worse than my right!..

She told me that it can be a side effect of RA and she would be testing me properly at my next app.
    She gave me drops to use till then. (Clinitas). You can get them on prescription. Not sure about over the counter.
    I'm lucky I get mine free as I have an underactive thyroid..just as well as I take 12 different meds every day..lol.
    :shock:

Anyway the next time you go for your app you should maybe ask..

You don't say which arthiritis you have so maybe it's of no use to you but just my thought's on eye problems/arthiritis.
    I hope it helps as I know it can be really upsetting. :)
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Maxine

I have dry eyes which can become very sore. I find it worse in the mornings and late evenings. I use hypermellulose drops or gel tears and at night I use simple eye ointment. You can get these without a prescription and it helps to keep the eyes moist.

Some years ago I was told by an optician that dry eyes were a sign of arthritis.

Get an appointment to see your GP. Don't leave it too long as they can become really painful and sore. Don't rub them.

Take care
    Sharmaine
    X

maybe this is a coincidence, but my eyes have started burning at times. I also feel like i'm coming down with flu then it just goes away. My appointment isnt till next month so still none the wiser :?:
  • 09angel11
    09angel11 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Hi Maxine

I have OA and Fibromyalgia, my eyes are very dry and sore, and they do burn and get painful at times. It can be through the Arthritis, also the meds you are on. I have Viscotears which i use morning and night, although i feel i coulsd do with using them through the day as well, they are on prescripstion only, but as others have said you can get over the counter false tear drops.
    Take care

Monica :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    Def people with RA can get it.
    I have OA and went to my GP with burning eyes and he said it was an infection . shortly aftgerwards I had to go for my eyetest and the optician said you have dry eyes.....do you have Arthritis? So seems you can get it with both

Love
    Hileena