6 week check for hip op not 'til 10 weeks ...

Options
speedalong
speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
edited 11. Jun 2010, 03:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
I have received an appointment letter for my 6 week check for my recent hip op but it is not until 10 weeks post op ...!!!

Since this is when you get to learn (hopefully) good news re TED stockings, sleeping on your side, driving, giving up crutches etc I really dont want to wait an additional 4 weeks!!! As I made fab progress in hospital and they wanted to make me a fast track out of hospital patient, this doesnt really make sense. Also the letter reads rather like a new referral letter, "Thank you for choosing XXX hospital for your outpatient's appointment ..." well I hardly choose a different one from where I had the op, would I?!

Obviously I need to challenge the appointment date - but wanted some advice on what to say. Also should I ring consultants secretary/appointments clerk or who?

Thanks,
Speedalong
I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Blasted formulaic letters. Effective communication does not come in a 'one size fits all' format. Does it my ****, as Jim Royle would say.

I would write to the orthopaedic department, contacting your surgeon's secretary. Explain what you had done and when, and thus when your six week date actually is, not when they would like it to be. State that you need quicker feedback on how things are progressing so that you do not inadvertantly disrupt your progress by doing too much/too little in the way of exercise etc. Say that you are very pleased to date with how the hospital have dealt with you and you do not want a little thing like a too-distant date to upset things.

I hope things are still going well for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    Yes....ring the consultants secretary
    My 6 week appointment was 3 days after the 6 weeks LOL but that wasnt much.
    Thats a long time to wait when you are expecting good news.......You'll possibly be off your crutches by then anyway. I was on sticks and got rid of one the first week home and the 2nd one I got rid of {in the house anyway} about 3 weeks post op but alwasy had my folding stick with me outside.
    Sleeping on your back I would leave until they tell you that you can sleep on your side. I got into the bath exactly 6 weeks post op. The stockings came off 6 weeks post op {even though I hadnt seen him}
    Yes def. get onto his secretary first thing Monday {oooppps its a Bank Holiday} Ring someone anyway....try ringing the ward if the secretary isnt there and ask for the nurese practioner Love Hileena
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

It's interesting how different surgeons have different ways of doing things... My out-patient appt is not until 3 months after my op - I'm not sure if I have to stay on my crutches until that time - so I am going to have to ring the hospital too!

Marion x
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Marion I have my 2nd appoint on Friday {think he's going to talk about the 2nd hip op} and that will be just under 6 months..He wanted it earlier but couldnt make it??? Likle you say weird how they are all different.
    As for the crutches.....I would just ask district nuirse or ring his sec. I was on sticks and like I said to speedalong I got rid of the first on after 1 week at home and the second one went about 3 weeks post op but I still used my folding stick outside or carried it in my bag anyway. So I would say if you arent seeing him for 3 months to ask someone else. I think you will know yourself how you feel.
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    It seems that once you have had had the op there is very little advice, guidance or support .... you would think that after investing all that time and money on us they would have more of a vested interest!!

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Lynn,

will make it a priority on Tuesday.

Speedalong
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi,

I rang the appointments clerk last week and she looked me up on the system :shock: and said the ward had requested a 6 week appointment but I was done to see the registrar and he was on holiday for 3 weeks around the time my appointment was due. :roll: She suggested ringing the consultants secretary to see if I could see the consultant instead (who I do usually see.) I rang her and she only works part time etc so left a message.

She just got back to me (she was on my afternoon to-do list) and she said they seemed to have a big backlog of ortho cases to be seen and she was going to see the consultant about it as they ran two clinics a week ... one ortho and one trauma ... to see if anything could be done. She is going to ring me back ... doesn't sound hopeful does it?! Fingers crossed!! If he can't fit me in, I'm going to ask for a phone consult - though I guess without an x ray - he'll keep full restrictions in place just in case ... :roll: :roll: :roll: Oh hell!!

Please keep everything crossed for me .... I really want an appointment sooner than 10weeks ... 20th July... is too far away.

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedalong
    Praying for you....but you've made the first move and it looks as if the ball is rolling now...at least you knows why it was going to be so long before your appointment. Like I said in another thread.....if you cant see the consultant at least ask him a few questions on the phone or ask her to ask him...eg sleeping on back etc

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Hileena, I'll get my list of questions ready - they'll come in handy whether I ask them at the appointment or over the phone!!

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    I went in with my little notebook for my last appointment and the consultant said "Oh good someone with questions written down" he wasnt being sarcastic...I thought he was at first.....He would tell me one thing then say "whats next on your list" LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi speedy everything is crossed for you,I can really understand how important this is,when I have mine done think I will be camping on there doorstep come 6 weeks...hope you get to see them
    Good Luck
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thanks Hileena and Barbara.

Speedy
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Hope you get it sorted
    All Consultants are different some say 6wks some say 8wks
    Just keep doing what your supposed to do
    Id hate to have a hip replacement only because I sleep on my side & cant sleep on my back good job ive got bad knees :roll: :lol:
    Take care
    Love Maria
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    It seems that once you have had had the op there is very little advice, guidance or support .... you would think that after investing all that time and money on us they would have more of a vested interest!!

Speedalong
    Didnt they tell you you cant drive for 6wks or till you have been to clinic, Not to bend too far or cross your legs or that you cant do the washing up or ironing so the other half has to ( Im joking about that bit) :lol:
    Did you attend a pre op appointment? Some hospitals have a hip session prior to your op where you meet the Physiotherapist & occupational therapist who inform you of the does & donts regarding your hip replacement they also give you a booklet that shows exercises etc
    I suppose it depends on the health authority your with
    Good luck Maria
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Thats something I've wondered about....you were so worried about sleeping on your back {when I was getting my hip done} but I havent heard much about that.....how are you managing?

Love
    Hileena
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Speedalong - just to let you know that I too I keeping everything crossed for you for an early appointment!
    Love Tilly x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Speedy,

Just adding my hopes they will see you sooner... if they can't can you ask over the phone if you can try some of the things? Mind the trouble is without being seen it might not be so wise? I so hope they will get their act together. A ((( ))) Cris xx
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Maria,
    Didnt they tell you you cant drive for 6wks or till you have been to clinic, Not to bend too far or cross your legs or that you cant do the washing up or ironing so the other half has to ( Im joking about that bit)
    Yes I knew all this stuff - this is my second THR. However every op/consultant/time is different - sometimes you have to wait 6 or 8 or 10 or 12 weeks..... Last time I was no weight bearing for 3 months - this time I can bear weight fully ...
    Did you attend a pre op appointment? Some hospitals have a hip session prior to your op where you meet the Physiotherapist & occupational therapist who inform you of the does & donts regarding your hip replacement they also give you a booklet that shows exercises etc
    Yes I attended a pre-op it was very uninformative .. the nurse doing the appointment just really wanted to check I didn't have MRSA etc She couldn't/wouldn't answer any of my questions and just kept saying ask the consultant ... but I only saw him briefly twice - whilst conscious!! I was given a booklet but it was very general. I was shown exercises on the ward and given a print out. Everything very general - I'm 43 and most patients having this op are much, much older ... so my rate of progress and general health and fitness are much quicker/higher.

Luckily brilliant intermediary team sent out their physio and she was very thorough and her treatment tailored to me - and it was VERY useful and helpful.
    I suppose it depends on the health authority your with
    It does indeed.

No one has the authority to say I can stop wearing TEDS at 6 weeks, start driving again, get in the bath, sleep on my side again except the consultant ... hence I want my 6 weeks appointment as near to 6 weeks as poss and not at 10 weeks....

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, I find it harder to fall asleep on my back. However if I can get to sleep I'm sleeping much better as I'm not waking up stiff and in pain anymore. As I get increasingly mobile, I'm sure I will wake up one day having turned onto my side in my sleep. I couldn't sleep on my operated side yet the scar is too tender - but reckon would feel great on the other side with the big body cushion supporting operated leg .....

You haven't mentioned sleep in awhile ... how are you sleeping?

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    Thank you Tilly.

Cris - knowing my consultant (he's been seeing me for nearly 20 years ... poor guy!!) he is a cautious chap and he would never give permission to stop the precautions without seeing my x rays ... and I don't think I'd want it any other way (except in regards to the TED stockings!!!) Just hoping they can squeeze me in sooner ...

Speedy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Speedy I have everything crossed for you there and well lets hope he will see you before too long. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Speedy
    Glad you're sleeping is good even if you want tto o sleep on your side....doesnt sound as bad as you thought it would be.
    As for mine...4 months on still not sleeping. I'm on parac etamol....then the nurse practioner told me to take codeine 1 at 6pm and 2 at 10pm...helps a boit but still waking up {this was after the consultant took me off tramadol altogether ..in 1 go} I saw him last week and he said I shouldnt be taking the codeine at 6 no good for sleeping and at 10 by the time oit started working I would be asleep?????? I thought if I was that lucky that it might keep me asleep...no pain but no he said forget the early ones and take 2 at 8.30pm......no doifferent at all. I've got an appointment to see my GP at 5 tomorrow....only usually get repeat prescriptions from him...so I'll discuss it with him.....does anyone know can you self refer to a pain clinic?
    Love Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Hileena, I don't know if you can self refer to a pain clinic but I would think your GP can refer you.

I have to say pain relief is not a surgeon's expertise - his expertise is operating (we would sincerely hope!) SO definitely see your GP asap and discuss pain meds and also pain clinic referrals.

I'm wondering if your sleep problem is not to do with your operated leg - but rather to do with the one awaiting??

What tablet times and combos did you take before the op and how did you sleep then?

More recently did the nurse practitioner's method work?

If it is the hip awaiting - that is one more reason for not waiting too long.

Can you work out if it is bone or muscle pain? Some peeps take a med that helps the muscles relax at night, and that really helps...

Sleep deprivation is the pits!!

Speedy
  • hileena111
    Options
    I have to say pain relief is not a surgeon's expertise - his expertise is operating (we would sincerely hope!) SO definitely see your GP asap and discuss pain meds and also pain clinic referrals.

I'm wondering if your sleep problem is not to do with your operated leg - but rather to do with the one awaiting??

What tablet times and combos did you take before the op and how did you sleep then?

More recently did the nurse practitioner's method work?

If it is the hip awaiting - that is one more reason for not waiting too long.

Can you work out if it is bone or muscle pain? Some peeps take a med that helps the muscles relax at night, and that really helps...

Sleep deprivation is the pits!!

Hi Speedy,
    Seeing my GP tonight at 5pm....so will ask him about everything I can think of including "Healthy Life" dont know if you have it in your area but the GP can refer you to the leisure center and they assess you and work out a programme to suit you ...swimming, exercises etc..I'm still wary about doing exercises incase it pops out so that would be a help.
    Last night I slept until 5am which is good but it was PAIN in my op leg that woke me.......it seems to be a mixture of both hips/back....every morning I'm sore and stiff but expect that. Pre op......I was on paracetamol {nothing else}2 x 4 times a day and I slept all night although sore during the day...Weird or what???????
    Some of it is muscle and I recognise that and think that they hacked through a lot of muscle so that is normal for a while but it is pain as well. The nurse practioners method was the best up to now even if I still waken up......not happy about taking codeine....they are very addictive arent they but if thats all that will help...well I'll keep taking them

Love
    Hileena