wrist supports?

margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 28. May 2010, 13:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ive very sore wrists and have been using crepe bandage on them i find this a great help. Does anyone know where i can buy wrist supports?
Margaret

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Most chemists I should think.....MIne certainly does
    Roba045.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I agree with robertis. Boots have them but are expensive. I have never seen supports in Superdrug but my local pharmacy does a good range of sporty stuff. Measure your wrists so you get the right size. I cannot manage on the bad days without my knee and ankle supports - my wrists are also going, so I'll be getting some soon. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    if you ask your GP for a referral to an OT they can look at your wrists and assess exactly what you need - and make them for you too!!!
  • dippydoodah
    dippydoodah Member Posts: 350
    i would ask your gp if they can refer you to an occupation therapist. i saw one and had splints given to me for both wrists (i have oa in both) as i have lost alot of mobility and strength in them, together with the pain.

i have found them extremely useful for when im doing my housework although i was told not to over use them so i dont become reliant and to stretch/exercise my wrists when i take them off but i couldn't recommend them more.

i have seen them, as others have said, at my local chemist too but an OT would make sure you get the correct size.

hope this is of some help.
    caroline x
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    you can also get them in disability equipment stores - google or look them up in the yellow pages for your area
    I find they have a better range of sizes (I have tiny hands) and also are a bit cheaper than the branded chemists
    I have some from the OT but its good to have spares...I also have them n different colours...ever the fashion conscious....well as you can be when they come in brown or skin as they call it, black, grey or blue!!
    as others have said tho don't wear them too much or your will actually end up hurting more.

Chrissie
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    I get mine from the nurses at the rheumy clinic but they fall apart after a few weeks. Would be interested to know if anyone has bought anything a little bit more robust than that.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    salamander wrote:
    I get mine from the nurses at the rheumy clinic but they fall apart after a few weeks. Would be interested to know if anyone has bought anything a little bit more robust than that.

sorry the best ones I've got we're from the pregnancy physio when I had my little boy which are still going strong...however i don't think i'll be having a baby just to get another pair!!!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    [Hi Margaret,
    Nothing to add to what others have said about splints - except to say that I had mine from the hospital and they were a great help - all the time for a while and then when I needed extra support for something particular. Don't know if you have tried using Ibuprofen gel on your wrists too? My GP told me it wouldn't do any good but I found - and still do - that it can really help. When I first developed RA I used to lock myself in the loo at work and cry because of the pains in my wrists - despite the other meds I was taking. But I found that if I smothered my wrists in Ibuleve Max Strength Gel (have to ask for it usually at the pharmacy - cos they keep the max strenght stuff behing the counter) and covered them with tubigrip bandage I got some relief quite quickly. Best to check out with doc or pharmacist tho if you are taking other meds to make sure it's ok for you to use. I never had probs with it though, even though I was taking high doses of another anti-inflamm medication. Hope you find some relief soon. Tilly x