noticing a weakning

Options
bertyboy
bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
edited 28. May 2010, 12:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
i am 4 weeks post op tkr and noticing a weakness in my ankles and other knee i know my good knee is not good but it is getting weaker i am strugling to get my excercises done after the first lot in a morning because once i am up and done my morning sorting then back on bed and excercise get down stairs it is swollen and tight and stays tight till the following morning and when its swollen it will not bend as it should i am icing and elevating walking inbetween not far but have no hope of getting rid of one crutch [phisio is not going to be happy ]but if it wont bend what am i supposed to do

SORRY FED UP
I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello bertyboy, how frustrating and disappointing. My take on this is that you are still in the early days of recovery and your other joints will be compensating for the replaced one - you will be walking differently, doing everything differently. I also suspect you're overdoing things because (hopefully) you were feeling better. Ease up. Four weeks post-op (and a big op too) is nothing. Try not to do too much, give everything a chance to recover.

I had two major synovectomies, not quite in the same league I know, but it took months for a full 'recovery'. Be patient, be sensible and then be rewarded. Look after yourself. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Berty, I second what DD says. You other joints will be compensating. My THR of 13 years is aching and hasn't in years because it is having to work harder than it ever has now that what I considered my "good leg" has just been operated on. I'm still battling swelling. The swelling goes down to some extent in my foot, ankle, knee and thigh - but the top of my thigh, all around the hip joint, my derriere - stay massive all the time - which makes my frame wonky.

Also being less active means none of the joints are getting there normal everyday workout.

Are you having physio appointments - tell them about the other joints they might me able to help.

As I have not had knee ops only hips I don't know about the knee bending - but I'm sure Sharmaine and co will post some suggestions soon.

Sounds like you are doing everything right to me.

Speedalong

PS A friend of mine has placed a pillow under the mattress at the end of my bed to raise the angle of the mattress slightly to help with the swelling ... I wasn't sure about this ... but she clearly knew what she was doing - it doesn't feel uncomfy and has further helped with the swelling - worth a try??
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

I had a lot of trouble with my ankle too and if you can't do the amount of physio then don't do it. Have you tried alternating between hot and cold? I had my op in February and I still use an ice pack followed by either a heat pad or my wheat bag. I also find massaging the area helps. It's still early days. In the first 2 months I found it tough as I tired very quickly and was exchaused at doing the simplest task.

Are you in pain? I found that co-dydramols and diclofenac were not hitting the spot and contacted my GP (by phone) for tramadol. I still resort to taking these when I'm having bad days. Like yourself my other knee is weak and this puts extra pressure on the operated leg. If you're in pain and have swelling it makes doing these exercises really difficult. The physio wanted me to use the exercise bike at home for 3 weeks but for the first 2 weeks I couldn't because my knee was too swollen and sore. Your physio will understand.

It will get easier but it takes a long time.

Sending you warmest wishes and lots of cyber hugs (((((()))))).

Sharmaine
    X

bertyboy wrote:
    i am 4 weeks post op tkr and noticing a weakness in my ankles and other knee i know my good knee is not good but it is getting weaker i am strugling to get my excercises done after the first lot in a morning because once i am up and done my morning sorting then back on bed and excercise get down stairs it is swollen and tight and stays tight till the following morning and when its swollen it will not bend as it should i am icing and elevating walking inbetween not far but have no hope of getting rid of one crutch [phisio is not going to be happy ]but if it wont bend what am i supposed to do

SORRY FED UP
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Berty

Sorry to hear you are fed up. It was not plain sailing for me in loads of ways. My surgeon told me it would not be. :roll: I was "ticked off" by the physio because I would not go for a walk each day, without the crutchs, well I did not do it any day, because the knee hurt to much. We got on really well, and she told me that I must start going out every day, even if it was only a tiny way and to increase it. This I did and I was so proud to tell her of my achievements the following week and thanked her so much for being strict with me. She suggested I use a tubigrip on the knee and this helped me . It hurt like hell and so did my lower back when first starting to walk outside and I was so pleased to be back home but gradually that changed and it got better and better.

You would be advised to get your bed higher at the leg end if possible. Can you put bricks under the bed at the leg end then all night your legs would be elevated. I do not know where you elevate your legs in the day - are they elevated high enough? I also do not know what kind of ice pack you have but you really need one to wrap right around the knee.

It is very important to do the exercises regularly as you know or at least some of them. Do you have pain along with the swelling of the knee? Are you still wearing the compression stocking things? You should be! :) In the day at least.

Do you find all the exercises painful or just some?

I hope things improve for you soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Berty,

There are physio's and physio's I am afraid..... I hope you can be allowed to go at your own pace a bit and think Elna's suggestion of more elevation could help.

I wonder if its the fact your knee was so bad before it was done that you are really having to start from scratch re the muscles in there? I really hope you can find some way to keep it mobile and exercised that doesn't bring it up too much.

When do you see your surgical people again?

Leaving you a ((((( )))))) and a hope it soon all settles down a bit for you. Luv Cris xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy.
    when i had my thr the doctor told me it takes a year for your body to get over an op.
    dont worry and take care.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    thanks for all your thoughts i am going to get a folded quilt put under the matteress for to night and a pillow either side to try and stop it turning i do tend to sleep [or rest in strange possitions ] will put some bed socks on and keep the wait of my toes , and will try get pain meds changed although i would not call it pain more discomfort with the swelling making it tight , i use frozen teatowels wrapped round for iceing and elevated on a table with cusion same hight as the chair xxxxxxx {{{{{{{hugs back to one and all }}}}}}}}
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    and elevated on a table with cusion same hight as the chair xxxxxxx {{{{{{{hugs back to one and all }}}}}}}}

Hi Bertie

:oops: As I understand it, ideally, the legs should be elevated above the heart when at rest after the knee op, both in the day and at night. You may well find it makes a difference ie the swelling, if you are able to do this.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Bertyboy

It's a good idea to elevate your mattress - I had forgotten that I did that also. We bought new sofa legs to elevate our settee and this has made a tremendous difference and put less strain on my knees. The legs raised our furniture about 4 inches and it makes getting on and off the sofa so much easier.

It sounds as if you're doing all the right things with regards to the ice. I had about 3 ice packs: one under my knee; one on top of the knee and one for the ankle!

Do you sleep on a memory foam mattress topper? I found this has also helped to cushion my joints whilst sleeping.

I used to find that my feet hurt whilst in a seated positiion after my TKR and putting a pillow under my feet helped. I think I spent a lot of time lying down during the first six weeks!

I hope you find some comfort soon. Let us know how you get on.
    Don't worry too much about the physiotherapist - when you're feeling better I'm sure you'll do more.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
    X