Saw the rheumy on Wednesday

Options
weesabetty
weesabetty Member Posts: 14
edited 1. Jun 2010, 02:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I saw the rheumy on Wednesday he diagnosed osteoarthritis in both knees,lower back and neck,he upheld my former diagnoses of fibromyalgia and also said I have something called joint hypermobility,basically the treatment is paracetamol,codeine,ibuprofen and exercise oh and lose weight, he then discharged me to the care of my doctor,I dont know what to think at the mo. :|

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    Try not to worry too much. This is quite a normal thing to do, if he had thought you needed surgery, he would have referred you to and orthopedic surgion.

I have OA in my spine and a few other places, and I've also had carpel tunnel syndrome. The thinking is that all they can offer at the moment can be organized by your g.p. Things like Physio, Pain Clinic, pain killers etc. Have they taken any bloods or x-rays?

The bes thing that you could do at the moment is wait a few days for the hospital notes to be sent through to your GP and then make an appointment and go through everything with him. If you aren't satisfied, you could ask to see the consultant again or for a second opinion, this is your right. It may take some time to get the best painkillers for you, as their are so many and some suit one person, but not another. So for a while it may be trial and error.

I'm not surprised that you feel lost and upset, to be given a diagnosis and then just be sent away makes you wonder what is going on! Also, it takes some time to realise and come to terms with, especially if it is not fully explained to you.

This is a good site that you've found as we have all been through this and its a very supportive place to pick up good tips etc.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Love Sue
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's a lot to take on board. I think joint hypermobility refers to the fact that your joints may be more flexible than usual. Can you bend your thumb back (or forwards) - without forcing it - so the tip touches the the outside/inside of your wrist? Or are there any other odd things you can bend/flex that your family cannot? Hypermobile joints are why contortionists can contort. Give it a few days for the dust to settle then list any queries you have and go to see your doc. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    i think this most peoples night mare as all we want is help and answers. the good thing is he ruled our ra this is great news for you oa well exercise helps keep the muscles strong and protect the joints.
    i suffer from oa with mild inflimation and joints are much better with gentle exercise it the balance that the problem. the rummy gave me meds to control the inflimation and things are much better can manage to walk and swim if i take care. go back to your gp with a list of questions good luck and make sure you get good pain meds val
    val
  • weesabetty
    weesabetty Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I was referred to him by my g.p because my blood inflamation markers were extremely high,when I asked him about this he said it was because I am overweight,at that point I kinda gave up as I have lost a stone in the last year and my inflamation has shot up :?:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Weesabetty,

I also think you maybe could see a different rumo. I can't work out how high inflammatory markers can be down to weight.....

I also think you might need some different tablets as it doesn't seem the ones you are on are helping too much.

If its possible get a double appointment with the gp and talk all this through and I would ask to see someone else as I can't help thinking it would be good to have a second opinion for you. I really hope you can get some decent help soon. Cris x
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hello
    Hope you are having a good day today?
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis however have been told throughout my life that I have joint hypermobility and that it would likely cause me problems in later life. I think it basically means that I am extra bendy and flexible therefore overworking the joints. My Mum has it too. Daft things like being able to bend my thumb to my wrist etc.
    However, since RA got a grip on me I cannae bend anything although a Rheumatoligist recently said I had joint hypermobility.
    I just laughed thinking what a weird world this is ..... I am supposed to be extra bendy however now I move like a 100yr old!
    Hope you are having some relief of pain today.
    Carol
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Betty

Back to the GP with you.

Cheeky person!!!

My Mum used to say if she went to the docs with a pimple on her bum - they'd sat it was coz she was overweight and smoked :wink:

Think I agree with Cris and a second opinion might well be called for. Overweight causing inflamtory markers? My pimply b*m :wink:

Love

Toni xx