waiting lists

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 30. May 2010, 18:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am due for knee surgery and have been told i am on the urgent list. I ws told i would be looking at oct-nov but have now been told i'd be lucky to get it done before xmas as the consultant is now off the whole of next month so everything has been put back.
I started having problmes a few years back and they messed up the injections - was suppose to have one every few months (synvisc) but they forgot to call me back for it and byt hte time they realsised it was pointless - dont think it would of been much good anyways as the first didnt work.
Basically i am waiting for surgery and was wondering if there is a maximum waiting time. I think it is such a long time to wait considering i first went to see him about the same problem 2 years ago and since then have had a scan and arthroscopy with no luck.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Waiting lists are long but that's only a matter of months. We're hitting June now, so it could be as little as four, if they go for October. No-one has a crystal ball, it may come quicker than you think - they may employ another surgeon to take over his work load if he's off for a month. Fingers crossed it happens soon. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • bailey27
    Options
    HI, thanks that is what I roiginally thought. but then she said on the phone i'd be lucky to get it done before xmas, that means over a year of my life wasted waiting for appointments.
    I phone a private hospital for a price and they told me i'd be looking at £6500 for the surgery so that isnt an option.
    So frustrating isnt it.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    The NHS quote 18 weeks, from referral to seeing a Consultant or other professional, be it for treatment, surgery etc.

I always keep well on the side of any Consultants secretary, they have all the info on schedules and can make last minute appointments if someone else cancels. Could be worth a phonecall, they are usually very nice. We used to do it all the time on the wards, when patients didnt show up at the last minute.

Hope things get sorted v soon and the waiting does not drag on. It is always the worst bit. Anyone that is on here that does the lotto and wins this week end, will pay for your treatment in a flash. There, that's dropped everyone in, :lol: xx Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • bailey27
    Options
    lol
    I'll hold you to that.....
    That's sorted then - I'll be looking out for creaky joints on the news this week!! ;)

I thought there was a time frame they had to try to follow.
    I was suppose to see him6 weeks ago but appointment got cancelled a week ebfore so really if it is xmas then i would be more like 32 weeks not 18 weeks.

I phones the surgeons secretary and it ws her that told me nov-xmas.

Dont really know what else i can do apart from wait. :(
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Bailey, I was on the urgent waiting list. My consultant said I would have to wait a few short months ...

I rang the hospital to find out when my op might be and they said they'd ring me back. The next day they rang to call me for my pre-op and my op followed in 3 weeks!!!

I was referred by my GP in Feb and had the op 12th May.

Are you able to take a cancellation? If so let them know you are desperate for the op emphasise - lack of mobility, worsening condition, increased and unmanageable pain etc If you GP is worth their salt you could also ask them to advocate on your behalf. Do you work? Inability to carry out your job also helps your case.

The hospital are supposed to have commenced treatment within 18 weeks of your GP referring you ...

Remember those who shout loudest get treated first.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Just beware if they offer a different surgeon that you check out his credentials before you agree to him doing the op.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I always understood it was 4 months max.
    Speedalong got in before me to say about ringing them and stressing how your mobility is affected and you will take a cancellation

Love
    Hileena
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your advic.
    I have drafted a letter to be sent and will be pleadingfor an earlier appointment.
    Thank you
  • speedalong
    Options
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    Thanks for all your advic.
    I have drafted a letter to be sent and will be pleadingfor an earlier appointment.
    Thank you

Worth ringing up too and speaking to the appointments clerk.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bailey27
    Options
    With referance to the time limit that has been mentioned. Does this mean from referral to getting sorted or from referral to discharge??
    I am at the end of my tether at the moment and am struggling to stay positive and to think I may have to wait another 6 months for the surgery is really getting me down.
  • speedalong
    Options
    It means from GP referral to start of treatment.

Speedalong

PS here is an article with more links

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/03march/pages/nhswaitingtimesqa.aspx

I was gettting desperate like you pre-op and found lots of info on the web on guidelines/ individual hospitals etc - just google away!!