Footwear

Options
dutchess
dutchess Member Posts: 79
edited 4. Jun 2010, 17:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just come to the realisation that my affair with my primark pumps etc doesn't bode well with the arthur : ( I'd appreciate any feedback/recommendations regarding footwear style/where to buy etc. I did actually purchase some birkenstocks today so my first step towards practicality!!!
Many thanks
Kelly

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kelly, there are quite a few threads on this theme over the last one or two months if you do a search.

I would say go for thick soles to prevent jarring and cushion impact - plenty of support and flattish ... some people swear by MBT's.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • toptottie10
    toptottie10 Member Posts: 35
    Options
    I have worn Flyflot shoes,boots,sandals and slippers for 4 years now and would not put my feet into anything else. I have advanced OA in my spine, knees and hips , the italian cushioning and soft leather are a dream to wear. They are very supportive of the foot and ultra comfy. If anyone is interested then you can find out more from this web site.
    http://www.shoe-shop.com/icat/female_c_flyflot
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Another one to check out online is Hotter shoes

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    For me it's crocs - truly appalling to look at, but relatively cheap, very comfortable and a terrific range of colours. I like Hotter too, but they can be a little old fashioned: I stick to Sunrise in navy blue. I can no longer tolerate flip-flops (loved Primark for them!) or my little sparkly pumps. Grrrrrrrrrrr. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    HI
    Just got a clearance catalogue in the post from Hotter.....some great value things in it......I'm looking at the trainers at the minute

Love
    Hileen a
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I have that too - stony broke tho! DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    I'm not broke.....just badly bent LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i have found a colection of leather shoes called cushion walk.(lifestyle collection) fashionable ( i often get asked if they are sketchers) and there the first shoe ive had in a long time that dont hurt anywhere. i only paid £16 for them so not bad priced either.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Thanks coco, that's useful to know. DD
  • maria09
    maria09 Member Posts: 1,905
    Options
    Hi
    Ive heard MBTs are really expensive
    I wear new balance trainers really good support for my useless feet
    But wouldnt look good with a skirt or dress! Good job i wear jeans!
    I bought my last pair off amazon for £35 previous pair were £50 from a shop called up & running
    Good luck finding comfortable shoes
    My days of high heels are long gone & im only 47!
    Maria x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I never wore high heels, found them too uncomfortable, so I don't miss them - just the idea of them. Another option removed due to this ghastly disease. Grrrrrrrr. I nearly performed a fashion no-no (in my eyes anyway) yesterday: trainers with a skirt. UGH. So not a good look on anyone, in my opinion. Crocs it was, despite the rain! Dreamdaisy
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    coco67 wrote:
    i have found a colection of leather shoes called cushion walk.(lifestyle collection) fashionable ( i often get asked if they are sketchers) and there the first shoe ive had in a long time that dont hurt anywhere. i only paid £16 for them so not bad priced either.

I have these as well. Found them fine for insoles too. Good price range. :wink:
    Hi Coco, nice to meet you.

Lv Ix
  • dutchess
    dutchess Member Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I've got plenty of research to do thought if I try to get a few good pairs of shoes.
    Take care
    Luv Kelly
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I haven't worn high heels for a while, but oh, I do miss them now. Some of the summer shoes look so nice.... I'm very tempted to give it a try! My husband says I'm silly, and high heels look silly, as most woman can't walk in them! But this summer I reall do feel tempted, maybe just for sitting down in..... :lol:

Love Sue
  • woodbon
    Options
    Seriously though, I have had to buy new shoes as I have fallen arches and flat feet, (stop laughing, its NOT FUNNY) :lol:

My old shoes were not the right shape to hold the insert in place and became flip flops when I walked. I found that small, family shoe shops sold the best types and the staff are more helpful. We are lucky as we have 2 small shops in town and they are both good. They will order things for you to try. Just a thought. :wink:
    Love Sue
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi, I live in Merrell Jungle Mocs. Not remotely glam but very padded right the way underneath the foot so very comfortable. As DD and others say, they are not a good combo with skirts or floaty dresses - but no probs for me as I live in jeans. Would like to know I could wear nice shoes though but no chance of that any more. Ho hum. Hope you find something which works for you.
    Tilly x
  • chrissycat
    chrissycat Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi toptottie10

thank you for putting this link in!!!:D :D

I can only wear trainers now as I have problems with my feet/ankles and have to wear inserts.

I hate showing my toes, they tend to go their separate ways :lol::lol: , and I have hunted high and low for closed toe mules.

So thank you again, these look great and a reasonable price too!..

Christine
    xx
    I have worn Flyflot shoes,boots,sandals and slippers for 4 years now and would not put my feet into anything else. I have advanced OA in my spine, knees and hips , the italian cushioning and soft leather are a dream to wear. They are very supportive of the foot and ultra comfy. If anyone is interested then you can find out more from this web site.
    http://www.shoe-shop.com/icat/female_c_flyflot
    :
  • woodbon
    Options
    I have inserts in my shoes and I have found several makes that have insoles that can be taken out to make room for the special inserts. Hotter are one make, another is a German make that I can't remeber or spell!!! Have you tried asking in the shoe shop? The down side is, though, that they cost a bit more! :x

I hope that you find something to suit you. :wink:
    Love Sue
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    Ha, a topic I know something about, no not the 6" red high heels.........mine are black!:lol:

I find that walking shoe type trainers with lots of padding in thats shaped to support your arches are best, not too much otherwise you end up putting too much weight on yer toes as you roll forward. I've had made up NHS insoles but they made things worst. Smaller steps help too and less walking.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Scholl do some excellent orthotic supports. DD
  • fightingback
    fightingback Member Posts: 11
    Options
    You can buy from Shoon some very comfy and not too unsightly insoles with arch supports. They fit in your shoes no problems not like some orthopaedic insoles which are clunky and sometimes uncomfortable.

I showed them to my knee consultant and he approved. Also echo shoes are comfortable but not very fashionable so i haven;t bought any.

Hope that helps

Fightingback xxx