Opinions welcome on alternative medicines/therapy

Options
anniesmum
anniesmum Member Posts: 102
edited 30. May 2010, 09:26 in My child has arthritis
Hi there,
My daughter who has just turned 6 and is about to start on mtx for Systemic JIA so we now know we're in for the long haul. Lots of people keep asking wether I have tried alternative therapies such as homeopathy, wheat free or diary free diets. Has anyone had any experience of these wether successful or not. Lucy

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know about wheat and diary foods affecting arther but I have read that in some people tomatoes and foods in the tomato family can affect arthritis.

Food intolerances are very much person specific - so it is a case of experimenting - only eliminate one food at a time, give the body a chance to be rid of it from the system before reintroducing it to see if symptoms reoccur. Be very careful that nutrients lost from the eliminated food are gained from others.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • stephibabe2
    stephibabe2 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi :)

I was dignosed with the same type of athritis as your daughter when I was 5, I am now 18. I have been on mtx since it was dignosed, I have to be honest and say I have never tried any of the diets you have mentioned. For me I doubt if the will have any effect - but I don't mean to put you off the idea. You should definatly try it though, as anything that will help is worth a try. If you want to PM me thats fine :)
    Wishing you and Annie all the best

Steph x x
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    Hiya,

I've had JIA since age of 7 - it's doing okay just now and I'm taking a homeopathic remedy as well as sulpha.

Only problem is, I have no idea whether the homeopathic pills are helping or not, because I'm also on conventional meds. Can't be doing any harm so will carry on with them!

I also take fish oils and noticed I was a bit creakey after forgetting to take them for 5 days.

Diets unfortunately are very individual - as some have said, tomatoes can make symptoms feel worse in some people and not in others. For me, red meat can make me feel a bit achey the day after I have eaten it.

Lois x