gabapentin how did you get on with it

Options
barbara12
barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
edited 31. May 2010, 17:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I was put on gabapentin yesterday, I know there are quite a few people on it, I was wondering how you got on with it, the bad and the good please.
I was warned I would feel vacant, but I thought well nothing new there, but this feels so odd cant really explain it, I suppose it may pass with time.
Hope to hear from some of you soon
Love
Barbara x
Love
Barbara

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Barbara

I tried it 7 years ago post back op and got up to max does - didnt do anything was the bset meds ever for me - no side efects at all, but no help either.

Not much liklihood of having a seizure either eh?? also an anti-epileptic drug.

I should think feeling 'odd' is agood sign - it is doing 'something' isnt it? you feel okj though?

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Toni
    Thanks for getting back, I know you are not feeling well at this min.
    I am taking it along side tramadol the nurse said that was fine..maybe its just me. :roll: :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Barbara

I do hop it works for you - it is just a csae of getting the right meds for each of us i think isn't it?

Take care

Love

Toni xx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi Barbara,I had a trail of Gabs & same as Toni,they didnt seem to do anything. I didnt get any side effects from it either or high.
    I had to up the dosage in stages & the spaced out feeling should pass as you get used to it. I also took tramadol with it. I have put on weight since being on these meds which ive been told is pretty normal.
    I slept well on these but still carried on with the amitripyline.
    Im also very thirsty on these meds.
    Im now on Pregabalins & they space me out more but dont kill me nerve pain off. :roll:& im hoping acupuncture is going to help too as im running out of things that work for me.
    I hope they work & help you.
    debs
  • barbara12
    Options
    Hi Debs
    Thanks for getting back to me, the nurse said if they dont work then its the pregabalin , and after that it is morphine patches, I will give them all a go
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • fester
    fester Member Posts: 98
    Options
    Hi Barbara i'm on 1500mg each day, it does reduce the deep nerve pain but as a side effect all my family have noticed i get short term memory loss ie searching for words in my mind which normally would be obvious or disjointed conversations with everyone which is rather embarassing. Lack of concentration may be another side effect but may thats just down to my lack of sleep etc.
    Personally if humira continues to work as initially seems to be the case i going to request being taken off it, the cons far outweigh the pro's in my opinion.
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi Barbara, I was on the brutrans patches (morphine) when i 1st got DX & god never again. I was so sick on them every day & spent more time in bed than out of it. I couldnt eat & lost loads of weight.
    They did help with the pain but the side effects out wayed the pain relief, even the anti sickies didnt work with them & ive got 3 different sorts.
    But were all different & what works for one doesnt for another.
    what we go through to find something to gives us some quality of life back. :roll: & some releif from it all,it grinds you down.
    Lets us know if they help.
    What starting dose have they given you? & are you increasing it weekly?
    sorry i's being nosey now.
    debs
  • barbara12
    edited 30. May 2010, 10:32
    Options
    Hi fester and debs
    thanks for that , It really helps getting all this info,fester I am glad the humira is working for you ,I know you where worried about it.
    debs I can imagine the morphine patches making you sick, I have only had morphine once before ...not for arthur .and it did the same..
    Barbara x sorry debs I didnt say how much I was taking,I have started on 600mg and told to go to 1500mg in 4 days..
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I say Barbara

Its a minefield isnt it?

I'm going to try pregabs I think. Spoke to doc about in on monday and i think I have to :(

Will try anything - the patches do sound scary though :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Barbara,

Never had the gabapentin's but have been on pregabalin for over 2 years and find them invaluable :D Fingers crossed these will work for you but if they don't try the others as they are used a lot this way for people waiting for joint replacements as well as the fibro and nerve pain.

I really do hope you get a break from the pain soon and the lightheartedness...... well...... it gets a bit easier though I had to go up on the pregabalin very slowly over months not weeks :oops: ((( ))) Cris xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Barbara,

Never had the gabapentin's but have been on pregabalin for over 2 years and find them invaluable :D Fingers crossed these will work for you but if they don't try the others as they are used a lot this way for people waiting for joint replacements as well as the fibro and nerve pain.

I really do hope you get a break from the pain soon and the lightheartedness...... well...... it gets a bit easier though I had to go up on the pregabalin very slowly over months not weeks :oops: ((( ))) Cris xx
    thankyou for that cris especially when you are so busy,I will bear that in mind if this dosnt work.
    Love
    Barbara
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi Barbara,mine went up weekly to a maximum dose of 2 x 300mg, 3 times a day. 1800 a day.
    The morphine patches started off at 5mg & i got up to 20mg & had to wean off slowly. changed me over to slow release zomorph until i saw pain clinic who changed me to Gabs.
    Ive lost count of the tablets ive had & if i wrote them down im sure they'd take up half a page here :lol: Its all trail & error til they find out what suits you best.
    i hope they work for you as many on here are on or have tried them.
    debs
  • barbara12
    Options
    minky67 wrote:
    Hi Barbara,mine went up weekly to a maximum dose of 2 x 300mg, 3 times a day. 1800 a day.
    The morphine patches started off at 5mg & i got up to 20mg & had to wean off slowly. changed me over to slow release zomorph until i saw pain clinic who changed me to Gabs.
    Ive lost count of the tablets ive had & if i wrote them down im sure they'd take up half a page here :lol: Its all trail & error til they find out what suits you best.
    i hope they work for you as many on here are on or have tried them.
    debs
    Thanks debs,I am still feeling really strange , like you say trial and error, think I might ask for the other one )cant remeber the name) my Oh said i have stopped nagging,so something is going on :roll: :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • minky67
    Options
    Hi barbara, Im finding with the tramadols & Pregabalins im as high as a kite so i know how you feel.
    My GP had to half the dose of Pregabalins as i could hardly speak to him in the surgery as i was slurring.I sounded drunk & couldnt remember what i was saying half way through the sentence.
    So might be worth coming down a dose til you get used to it & dont go up so quick. Its taking me ages to get used to these, it was easier to increase on the gabs as i didnt have the same high.
    take care
    debs
  • lizzie7ne
    lizzie7ne Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Hi there

I take Gabapentin, I was put on it for neur0pathic pain (following brain aneurysm surgery 5 years ago before I got RA.). I found it worked then and it was increased when I got RA and find it good. It took about three weeks to start working with me. A while back I thought maybe I didnt need it and cut it out and within a few weeks I was suffering so went back on it again.

lizzie