Tramadol

keith1965
keith1965 Member Posts: 13
edited 31. May 2010, 08:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi my doctor has just put me on tramadol instead of diclofenac has anyone been on these ?? How good are they ?? thanks

keith :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I take Tramadol 50mg at night (1 or 2 tablets) when I cannot sleep due to pain. I find them effective but if I take too many then I feel sick. (Too many being more than four in a eight-hour period.) I don't take them during the day because they knock me out. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I have heard so many differing reports on Tramadol. I was on it in the hospital after my tHR and then for the 6 weeks before going back to see my consultant. Its morphine based...I felt OK with it but after my 6 weeks consultant said stop them all together and that left me with just paracetamol. I took a couple a night but it didnt seem to help. I now take codeine at 6pm and 10pm and that seem to work better....except for the pst few nights :?

Love
    Hileena
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Keith

I take Tramadol as well as diclofenac. I find they help with the pain.
    I only take them when I'm feeling really rough. Some people can't get on with them because they make them feel nauseous. I don't have that problem. I tend to take one in the morning, one after lunch; one after dinner and 2 before bed.

Sharmaine
    X

keith1965 wrote:
    Hi my doctor has just put me on tramadol instead of diclofenac has anyone been on these ?? How good are they ?? thanks

keith :)
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Hi Keith, not sure why your doc swapped the one for the other. Diclofenic is an anti-inflammatory tablet and tramadol is an opoid based pain killer. A lot of us take a regular anti inflammatory ( and stomach protector eg omprazole/lanzoprazole) and other pain killers too.

I take arcoxia (anti inflammatory,) omprazole (stomach protector )daily and then a combo of paracetomol and codeine as and when needed.

I have tried tramadol but I couldn't cope with the side effects and now have a higher dose of codeine when necessary. (also has side effects - constipation - so have to manage this - more meds ..)

Everyone reacts differently to meds and different combinations work for different people ... it takes time to find a cocktail to suit!!

Keep us posted.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Hi Keith, I take tramadol, paracetamol and diclofenac which seem to be fine for me most of the time, I've not had any bad side affects to them. I did used to take co-codomal but found they gave me constipation.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Hi Keith,I was prescribed Tramadol and was OK taking the first dose but the following doses made me feel very light headed and I suffered with nausea. :( It appeared that taking two tablets at a time didn't agree with me.I know they work for some people with no side effect. Breane.
  • efleure
    efleure Member Posts: 139
    Hi. In my experience, Tramadol is an effective pain killer, but you must be really really careful not to become addicted to them. Doctors on the whole deny this can happen so easily, but if you research the drug, it's very obvious that they're wrong. I became addicted taking three a day for a few months. Only realised when I became very ill after running out of them. Had to wean myself off them , which was very hard. Saying that, i think that if you take them as and when you need them, rather than regularly for any length of time, you should be ok. I'm also on diclofenac, but now find they don't do much at all. Good luck with it all.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Hi keith

They am great!!!

BUT!!!!

they make me really really sick :(

If i am taking them regularly then I am ok - it's when I get used to life without them and then try them again :shock:

When I had my back op I took them all the time - max does and could drive and evrything but now :shock: :mrgreen:

I suggest you start taking them at night when you are goikng to bed and maybe one at first not two and build up.

The other thing is the diclo are anti-inflam tramadol painkiller so One might not be replacing the other? You can take both. Check with pharmacist if in doubt.

Also you can get meds to stop you being sick if you need to.

Mind you - with you being abloke - you might be ok anyway :D

Hope it works and dont forget to let us know.

Love

Toni xx
  • knitternsk8rgirl
    knitternsk8rgirl Member Posts: 18
    Hi Keith
    I was once prescribed Tramadol by a locum when my GP was away. He said take 2 at night, and when I did - wowee!!! I totally lost one day because I felt so dopey and 'drunk' feeling. Went back to him and he said drop it to 1 per night and then it worked fine in terms of pain relief. BUT it gave me horrendous constipation and my regular GP said I ought to come off it, so I did but then I had 'cold turkey' type experience which I wouldn't want to repeat.
    They're great for killing pain tho'.
  • keith1965
    keith1965 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for all the replys my doc has put me on 100mg 3 times a day today is my 1st day on them so I will see how it goes

keith
  • janetw
    janetw Member Posts: 19
    keith1965 wrote:
    Thanks for all the replys my doc has put me on 100mg 3 times a day today is my 1st day on them so I will see how it goes

keith

I was on them 18 months ago, but shouldn't have been as anyone with raised pressure in their head like I have (Hydrocephalus) shouldn't be prescribed them :x
  • dreamdaisy
    Strewth keith (can't remember the digits) that sounds like one helluva lot. Be careful. Dreamdaisy
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336
    Keith

I should get yourself some prune juice :roll:

Or rather get someone else to buy it for you if you can - it's a tad embarassing :oops: :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi Keith,Im on 100mg 4x a day & find they help.
    I dont suffer with nausea on tramadols either.But i do have anti sickness tablets for the cocktail im on, i dont have to take them too often though.
    I hope they work well for you.
    debs
  • jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    Hi Keith, we are all different!! I have been on 100mg x 4 since last July, I take them with paracetemol, and to be honest, I dont find they work very well, I have no side effects, but they dont seem to control the pain. I am not on an anti inflammatory as I have mild asthma and been told not to take them.
    I flso have fibromyalgia and am on pregabelin twice a day at 75mg which seems to help a bit.
    Was told by rheumy nurse the tramadol not very good for inflammatory conditions, so where does that leave us? Good luck with them anyway, take care :)
  • dreamdaisy
    Oh keith, no doubt you are thoroughly confused. The only thing you can do is try it - start at the recommended dose, than either add or subtract as suits. The whole thing regarding arthritis and meds is a maze only you can navigate. DD

(PS I f I had been born a boy I would have been named Keith! Now, that could be a whole new thread!)
  • mummyb
    mummyb Member Posts: 1,231
    Hi Keith, I'm on slow release Tramadol 200mg, just take one at night then top up with paracetomol as required. I've been on this for about 3 weeks, but to be honest its not that effective for me at times, such as in the middle of the night when I have to get up and take paracetomol as well. Doc did say he could up the dosage to 300 mg so hoping he will do that next time I see him. I also have asthma and am unable to take anti inflamms which is a bit of a nuisance really as I'm sure if I could take them they'd help no end. Well, good luck on the tramadol, hope they work for you, Best wishes, Brenda :):):)
  • welshsmiler
    welshsmiler Member Posts: 10
    FANTASTIC!!

I couldnt live without them, Im on 100mg 4 times daily with no side effects, also on dic and steriods, they are not for everone, but I really hope they work for you.
    wonky fingers and toes crossed for you x
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Hi Keith
    I am 38yrs old and have RA. Chronic pain and many sleepless nights! I take x2 Tramadol at bedtime and although I still wake up about or 6 times each night, the Tramadol makes me go to sleep again pretty quickly. The first time I took them I was knocked out the next day. I don't understand why your Doc is substituting Diclofenac with Tramadol as Diclo is anti-inflammatory - a different type of med. Anyway, hope you are getting some relief.