OA concerns

anglerman
anglerman Member Posts: 42
I have OA in my hips with shclerotic changes and ospheolytes.
Of late i not only have hip/groin/lower back pain but also my legs down to my knees feel like they are numb and my right leg seems to want to give now and again.
is this normal with my symptoms

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sounds familiar. What are the medics plans for you?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • anglerman
    speedalong wrote:
    Sounds familiar. What are the medics plans for you?

Speedy
    No plans at the moment,my GP says its all to do with the OA.
    My concerns are that i may be trapping nerves etc around the hip/pelvic area
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Dear Anglerman,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I wonder whether you are getting a bit more detailed advice and support yet from a physiotherapist yet? They are likely to be invaluable if you get one that you hit it off with. I wonder if you've had any x-rays done on your back yet too? Often where there is a loss of sensation it's normal to have a musculo-skeletal referral.

A good source of detailed information would be any of the back pain books written by Dr John Tanner (if x-rays show any back involvement) - full of excellent ideas for self-management.

I'm attaching a link to our booklets
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    see osteoarthritis, pain, exercise.
    I hope thast is helpful

Guy
  • anglerman
    Dear Anglerman,

Thank you for your enquiry to Helplines. I wonder whether you are getting a bit more detailed advice and support yet from a physiotherapist yet? They are likely to be invaluable if you get one that you hit it off with. I wonder if you've had any x-rays done on your back yet too? Often where there is a loss of sensation it's normal to have a musculo-skeletal referral.

A good source of detailed information would be any of the back pain books written by Dr John Tanner (if x-rays show any back involvement) - full of excellent ideas for self-management.

I'm attaching a link to our booklets
    http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets
    see osteoarthritis, pain, exercise.
    I hope thast is helpful

Guy
    The origanal diagnosis was suspected slipped disc.
    After an MRI and x-rays there was no disc issue but the x-rays showed hip/pelvic osteoarthritis.etc
    I have had physio to build up the deep pelvic muscle
    All the other symptoms I have mentioned have been coming on gradually over the last few months