Are you preparing for Christmas?

Options
rondetto
rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
edited 29. Nov 2010, 18:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yes, we're half way to another Christmas, is anyone saving or buying towards it already?

The fridge-freezers full, can hardly shut the door
The cupboards are heaving, they can't take any more
There's tinsel and fairy lights all over the place
A big fight with Scotch tape, you still have to face

So come the big day you drag yourselves out
The hugs and the kisses all part of the shout
The turkey is lovely, another slice please
You over indulge on the pudding and cheese

The Queen's speech is next, but you drop off to sleep
Wake up with a jolt, the dog sat on your feet
Then there's the nephew he got a new toy
It's a very loud drum - ah bless the wee boy!

Then comes Julie Andrews, you think not again.
Sound of Music is lovely, but viewing number 10?
Emmerdale, Eastenders,double Corrie too,
Oh John , Fiz and Rosie are having a do.

Five thousand calories already consumed
Then more food appears, you just don't have the room
But you cant appear rude, so its trifle and stuff
You just want to yell. but I had more than enough.

Charades and more games come next on the list
You're a real party pooper want to give it a miss
But you're dragged on your feet, come on it's a laugh
But you feel such a fool and think its all naff

You escape to the bathroom and hope that you missed
The next game. Lets face it you're feeling quite er..drunk!!!
The clock's saying midnight you want to leave now
So think up a plan to work out just how

You look out the window its snowing quite fast
So there is the answer, cant linger must dash
You arrive home all safely think give me a break
But you'll do it again in 2010

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Can't do it in a poem but all presents are bought. I will start wrapping them in September (always September, don't know why) and will write cards in November (all bought in the January sales). I know now that I cannot handle Christmas as I used to, so I spread it out. I really struggle with the tree but it is my favourite thing and I will always battle to do it. 600 lights, up to 350 Santa Clauses (that's my thing, Santas) and one, Czech glass hand-blown Zeppelin in gold. One cannot have a tree without a gold Zeppelin. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    OMG :shock:

I anna dun a thing yet :shock:

Ron - that is a good poem

am now suitably terrified :shock:

Love

toni xx
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    I don't do my christmas shopping till late November/ early December - and I thought that was being organised!

I always spend more if I start earlier anyway :)

Nx
  • rondetto
    Options
    I've got an Asda card, every time I go in there I put either £2 or £3 on it. I think I've got around £80 saved towards Christmas, it helps pay for all the meat etc as well as a few prezzies.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I have learned the hard way that I don't have the stamina. I find it so much easier to pace it through the year. I used to adore Christmas, now I loathe it. It wipes me out for about a month after. Rough end to a year and a crappy start to the next, that's all it is now. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rondetto
    Options
    That reminds me, I've got to look for a new tree this year. Artificial one of course.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    always start to save in jan ready for next year. got cards but not started presents but have cut down on who we buy for it was getting to much . buying wrapping delivering ect but do love christmas
    val
  • rondetto
    Options
    My grandchildren are teenagers now, so this year they want money, so it wont be so bad wondering what to get them.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    One cannot have a tree without a gold zeppelin. DD

Unless you lived in our house!! Our cat climbs the tree several times each Christmas … anyone would think she was a kitten … and from her vantage point – she plays with the baubles!!

Now then, where's that Christmas card list.......? Oh yes, it's with the 2009 cards, which haven't been "filed away" yet

Ohh Lynn – you are as bad as me … I still have them in a box – I’m meant to have updated my addresses and added new baby names etc to my list of families etc … I do save my card list on the computer though … so it is quick to update and print off …

I’m not at all organised yet either … I find it a real struggle – physically and time wise. S can’t cope with extended shopping trips. I do a fair bit online. He still likes a stocking and lots of nick-nacks …This year I fully intend to do it a bit at a time before my sick leave runs out!! It is a really hectic time at school too and I always feel kn*****ed in the lead up to Christmas … getting ready at home and at school. Takes the fun out of it ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • sanmar63
    sanmar63 Member Posts: 117
    Options
    WHAT???????????

DD, please tell me you aren't serious!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are, I am bowled over by your organisational skills :shock: :shock: Shocked and stunned, I am.

Now then, where's that Christmas card list.......? Oh yes, it's with the 2009 cards, which haven't been "filed away" yet :? :? :?

Lynn xx

Hahaha Lynn - not just me then .... :lol:
  • rondetto
    Options
    :D:D
  • rondetto
    Options
    No, I just smiled at your post about the wheelchairs etc.

Does anyone do like us, stash all the decorations somewhere then have to think where they are every December?
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Yep I'm another one who gets the presents early. Have my list of people I need to buy for (mainly children) and get them in the sales.

I love getting the gifts etc. but I cannot cope with the last minute rush, so even get the choc's and bikkies in early!!!
    Some of the children have their birthdays in Dec so I have to double up on gifts.

Give me New Year and let me sleep through Christmas. Bar Humbug.

:wink: Ix
  • rondetto
    Options
    That's a lovely idea, but one year I was seriously ill and missed Christmas totally. I'll never forget the depressing feeling seeing everyone in the festive spiirit and enjoying themselves while I was so ill.
    I try to make others Christmas special now, knowing what it meant to miss just one.
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Ah Ron I know what you mean. We missed Xmas and new year in 2000 There was a very nasty chest bug going round which we well and truely got. Sat with the curtains pulled back and watched the fireworks go off. Could not even have a wee nip. :(
    Hope you are doing ok ish.

Lv, Ix
  • rondetto
    Options
    Thanks, it's not nice is it when you see everyone enjoy themselves, and try as you might you cant muster any strength.
    Let's hope this year we're all well to enjoy it.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    What christmas! no i want me summer. Sun, sea plants,flowers nature animals frolicking,ice creams , smell of suntan cream strawberrys and cream oooh more cream,fruit,barbaques. These are some of my favourite things. from joanne
    Joanne
  • rondetto
    Options
    Looks like summer is here at last, it's been hot here today 75f.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Lovely here too.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Gosh some of you are well organised. Ummm i do have my goose, goat and all my meat except for my turkey crown. Most of the presents are done but have run out of steam at the moment. Xmas tree up NO not yet , i will have the cat flicking the decorations all over the place. (When it snows he hates it so uses the house and its contents to amuse himself.) Still have to get presents for family down south and post them.....right today is the day i try to get some of this sorted out. Still have to make my baileys but i donot do that until a few days before xmas. I was trying to be ready by 1st december but think i will fail...again.
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Me too got all my card wrote name and address ready to post on wed.

Got most pressies wrapped doing the rest when I have had my coffee and finished on here.

Tree will be up on saturday as I need help to do it.

Not bought any food yet though.

Juliepf x
  • lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    rehab44 wrote:
    I just know i am going to regret this but I am off shopping today, apparently we have to stock up for the big freeze and Christmas, plus we have the added delight of attending the Christmas Fayre? :shock: in the car park. No doubt there will be a couple of pi**ed off reindeer that have been borrowed from Dudley Zoo

Oh Joy , this will be so much fun!!!!!! If i survive i will let you know

Have fun????? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    tree is half way up turkey in freezer presents almost all bought but shop windows need doing this week :D:D:D:D i do love christmas it just takes some getting sorted lol last year put tree bawbulbs ect into suitcases much easyer to put away and get out again one for tree one for mirror decs and mat and pillowcases . then a third for orniments as empty one suit case just fill with normal orniments cushion covers ect easy lol.note to self must stop oh buying new decs lol
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Loved it, Rehab..........I'm going Christmas shopping tomorrow following a podiatry appointment, carrying a bag full of used shoes and probably unable to put one foot in front of the other.

And it's going to snow.............

Annie
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Why, is it nearly Christmas or summat?? :shock: :shock:

Tony
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP