I asked ...... and I got a discount !!!!

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 15. Jun 2010, 16:36 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi,

well I think I am typically british in not usually haggling about price and just paying what the price ticket says.

Since money got rather tight I have tried to search out the cheapest price for the item I want, but have never asked for a discount.

until today!!!

I had seen an office chair in a large shop in town that would be perfect, fitted all the criteria the OT gave me, tried it out and really wanted it, but it was just under £85 :shock: so I looked on the internet & found a site that would deliver it to my door for just under £74 :D .

However, today I had to take a wonky DVD player back for a replacement and the shop was right next door to the one selling the chair. Hubby said I couldn't lose anything by asking, but of course he wasn't there!!!

I took a print-out of the web page with the price on it, and when I finally picked up the courage to ask the manager if he had any flexibility on price ....... he matched the internet price :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

One Happy wonky now :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: just got the DVD working so off to look at the instructions for how to make the chair up now :wink:

I may be some time!

Still it just shows that you never know until you ask!

wonky xxx

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done Wonky :D

Clever you!

More cash in your pocket too :)

why not treat yourself to a new DVD with the profit :wink:

LOve

Toni xx
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    Well done Wonky, good luck with the chair. Will keep my fingers crossed with the dvd player.

Julie xx
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Do you know Wonks, there is nothing more satisfying than a bargain is there?

Frank and I used to love car boot sales, really early on a Sunday morning. We had some of the most amazing bargains - brand new - for next to nothing. I got to the stage though that, no matter how low the asking price, I would always try to get them to go lower, just for the hell of it. Great fun, although I now have a loft full of stuff that never actually got used!!

Well done to you, and enjoy what sounds like a very comfy chair.......Much love......Ange.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi wonky I must be the cheeky one....I do this all the time...I recently saved £75 on a carpet..from a large carpet store and £55 of a new bed last year I always ask sometimes get knocked back....but it is worth a go.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hey well done!! Enjoy the chair!! :D:D:D

Watch out shopkeepers ... now you have a taste for haggling - there will no stopping you!! :wink:

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    well done you, I love a bargain, the chair will be extra comfy now 8) xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • rondetto
    rondetto Member Posts: 2,526
    Options
    Hi Wonkykins, well done on your purchase. That reminds me of when we were in Spain. I saw a leather jacket in a shop and fell in love with it. It was advertised at 180 Euros, the assistant could see I was keen.
    Anyway I said it was too dear and headed for the door. She followed me and said I could have it for 150 Euros. I s told her I would think about it.
    Later that evening we were passing that shop and I popped in, the same assistant was there. I was thinking of maybe asking if she'd take 120 Euros when the assistant beckoned me over. She called someone on the phone then asked If I would buy it for 99 Euros.
    Well, of course I jumped at that. I've worn it for the past few winters and it still looks brand new and still has that lovely leather smell.
    Ron
    xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    If you don't ask, you don't get. I agree it's not part of our culture but we always ask for a discount if we're paying cash, which we do for most things. Cash is very useful stuff. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    we get lots of people coming in trying to get discount and it depends on how much we are making some things like ink we sell so low no chance of money off but stamps (that you use with ink pad) well there is some movement. never mind any one asking and usually try to meet them some where that suits both parties got to take enough to pay my wages lol and every one likes a barguine but they should have built the chair for you and given free delivery always worth asking for might not get but worth a try val
    val
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    well done, as they say round here...shy bairns get nowt!

I hate asking for this kind of thing too but my neighbour is the master negotiator on discounts his best coo so far is a massive discount on a car with loads of stuff thrown in.....he's really honest about his secret weapon...apparently it really helps to be blind with a guide dog when you ask people they don't like to say no and it helps if you don't have to look them in the eye!

I'm going on a course on negotiating soon with work perhaps i'll learn a trick or two

Chrissie
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    If you watch Bargain Hunt on BBC1 at 12:15 every day, they negotiate on everything they buy.

Worth asking, using the phrase, "What is your best price on this"?

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I take it your blind neighbour was buying the car for someone else! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    I ask. I ask also in main stores e.g main electrical type ones for e.g. free delivery (where charge is shown) and they usually say yes, I ask for things thrown in e.g. if buying a laptop will they throw in accessory pack, they say yes.....you will be surprised!
    Also on markets e.g saw some nice little ornaments and asked if bought all 4 items i liked wojuld they do a deal, yes!
    I like doing it infact...they can onlly say No.
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    well done & enjoy your new chair.
    I once brought a tv,dvd & video. Then i said to the guy i needed a hoover, so he went off to get me that Then i stood for a few minutes thinking & said oh & an iron & asked him cheekily if he was going to throw that in for free as i'd spent so much in there & he did. :shock: No harm in asking. I should have asked for the hoover free but i think i would have been pushing my luck on that.
    debs
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Wonky

Well done for asking. I hope you sit comfortable watching a dvd sooooon if you read it right.

You and Debs do seem to read the instructions upside down or around the weong way.

Never mind you do give us a laugh. Well lets see if we have a Wonky Warning later :shock:

Trish xxx