Anyone been on expert patients?

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 16. Jun 2010, 11:50 in Community Chit-chat archive
Im doing expert patients on 28th june has anyone been on it?
what subjects does it cover and what was it like? thanks joanne
Joanne

Comments

• trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Joanne

What is it about. We might find some then

Trish xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a course that is designed to encourage more confidence in those who suffer from long-term illnesses to play a more active part in their care - at least that's what it means around here. Unfortunately courses are no longer in operation due to expense. As I posted on ther other forum (same topic) the money they do waste instead leaves me fuming. One of my fellow neighbourhood watch co-ordinators used to instruct on them, working with the NHS: I have tried to persuade her to use her inititative and run them privately, but she doesn't have the courage for it. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Joanne

Goodluck come in and lets us know about it and how you got on

Love Trish xxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Joanne

I have just completed the six-week course, and it was excellent. The aim of the course is to help you to take more control of your health and your life by learning new skills to manage your condition on a daily basis.

Topics covered included dealing with pain and fatigue, coping with feelings of depression, relaxation techniques and exercise, healthy eating, communicating with family, friends and health professionals, and planning for the future.

Each week we had to make an action plan, and then report back to the group how we had got on. I found that very useful, and I have learned many new techniques for self-management through the course.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I think my new doctors run these, I'm sure I saw a notice about it in the surgery.

I might ask if I could be considered for one.............although, having seen Joan's post, not sure it would be my thing........Action Plans aren't as they more often turn into an Inaction Plan with me and I end up making it up as I go along.

Annie
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    The expert patient programme is a six session self management course for any one who has a long term health condition and delivers all the items mentioned by joanlawson and more. It's delivered under the auspices of the nhs and sponsored by the local pct.
    Arthritis Care deliver a progamme called Challenging Arthritis which is very similar but restricted to those suffering with arthritis,
    You can get lots of information on the courses on this website and that of epp.
    Where is your course? I start one on 28/6.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:
    I think my new doctors run these, I'm sure I saw a notice about it in the surgery.

I might ask if I could be considered for one.............although, having seen Joan's post, not sure it would be my thing........Action Plans aren't as they more often turn into an Inaction Plan with me and I end up making it up as I go along.

Annie

Maybe Annie, the reporting back part would help you stick to your plan?? Even if you just got a couple of useful ideas to try - it would be worth it?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie

Hi Annie

The action plan is just one part of it, and the idea is that you only plan something which is attainable. That way, you get a sense of achievement, and the emphasis is on what you CAN do, rather than what you can't.

One of the benefits of the course is being able to talk to other people who are experiencing many of the same things as yourself.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Thanks for the explanations. I am going to my doctors for mine. I am quite looking forward to it. I have been on a few courses to help self but they are all differant in delivery.
    They all are helping me loads. I am glad to hear you have all enjoyed the course and i will report back on how i get on. Thankyou so much for all replys to this post best wishes Joanne :D
    Joanne
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Good luck with the course, and I hope you enjoy it.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Good luck with the course, and I hope you enjoy it.

thankyou J :D oan i will
    Joanne