getting OT to come and see me

Options
only49
only49 Member Posts: 1,207
edited 22. Jun 2010, 15:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
hello its been one of thise days today, :x :x like sitting on a merry go round trying to get some problems sorted out, :x :x

phoned a company off the island as i live on the orkney islands, and trying to get anything done is so frustrating.

i feel i need to get a stairlift in as arthur and his cronies are not helping and the stairs are getting more and more painful, the more i do them, so as i know how they work up here i thought i would try and get something rolling, so far it seems as if i can get one from south but there will be no backup service or anything like that so i stuck, between a rock and a hard place athe mo, OT would rather put you through the hassle of moving you too a house on one level than help, so as i am now getting high rate mobility i gona try and push it with the OT and point that out and try my best to get something sorted, i will say its not going to be easy but i not gonna stop as when this terrier gets a hold there must be away round this some how without moving grrrr arthur why are you complicating my life so much, grrrr this is for you arthur a037.gif

and for the way they do things here and which is what i feel like doing to them k020.gifn030.gif
sylvia :)stern02.gif

Comments

• zechariah
    zechariah Member Posts: 222
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck, sometimes you need to be firm and stick to what you want and not what they want to offer..good support should help you to stay in your home and not force you to move!
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi - sorry about your stair lift problems. It really hadn't occurred to me how much harder it would be to get things done from your remote neck of the woods. Really hope that you can find a way forward with this to allow you to stay in your current home, without the upheaval of having to move.
    Like your "cross" pictures by the way!
    Love Tilly x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Fight on, only 49, it cannot be beyond the realms of possibility to have one fitted, tho I expect it will be expensive. Can they be done on the NHS or the social? I don't know that bit! I can't have one because our stairs are very narrow and steep - moving is the only option but I cannot summon up the energy to deal with it all. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    Options
    zechariah wrote:
    Good luck, sometimes you need to be firm and stick to what you want and not what they want to offer..good support should help you to stay in your home and not force you to move!
    hi i adgree but everything got to be such a battle hubby says for our whole situation taking in that a move does not just effect just me, it would be stressful on me and hubby as well as my son who got specail needs so not quite sure how i gona tackle this
  • only49
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi - sorry about your stair lift problems. It really hadn't occurred to me how much harder it would be to get things done from your remote neck of the woods. Really hope that you can find a way forward with this to allow you to stay in your current home, without the upheaval of having to move.
    Like your "cross" pictures by the way!
    Love Tilly x
    thats what i hoping but it may not be as simple as we want it to be.
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Fight on, only 49, it cannot be beyond the realms of possibility to have one fitted, tho I expect it will be expensive. Can they be done on the NHS or the social? I don't know that bit! I can't have one because our stairs are very narrow and steep - moving is the only option but I cannot summon up the energy to deal with it all. DD

DD - could you have a lift installed? A work colleague had one put in at her house for her son (he uses a wheelchair and has PMLD) - takes up space of course - but if you love where you live and can't bear the hassle of moving ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Only49,

keep on badgering ... it's all you can do. I know you aren't old but might be worth contacting an older persons charity for advice - they might be able to advise on how to get round the system?! Just a thought.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • only49
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Only49,

keep on badgering ... it's all you can do. I know you aren't old but might be worth contacting an older persons charity for advice - they might be able to advise on how to get round the system?! Just a thought.

Speedy
    good idea speedalong anything worth a try someone got to help somewhere surely :)
  • only49
    Options
    hi i just emailed the c.a.b the lady that helped me fill in my forms, in hopes she might be able to offer some help, she is very good at replying to her emails so i hoping she might help.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Just spotted your suggestion speedalong - no, unfortunately. We're in a mid-terraced house, Victorian, tall and narrow. There are two flights of stairs, both steep and narrow. We have to move - I loathe living here now. I just want to shut my eyes, wave a wand, and wake up in the perfect bungalow. I would prefer a new-build has they have to follow disabled access rules. My ostrich of a husband cannot accept that I am heading for a wheelchair. At least one of us has a small grip on reality. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • only49
    Options
    hi

had a busy week so far in btween fixing D computer and phoning people i had a good out come at the end of the day, first off phoned the trading standards to see if they can help in anyway and explained everything to them and he said the same as what i had thought there must be a way round this problem ( meaning getting a stairlift from south and after sales service ) anyway he phoned a company called bi**n and they told him who does them here and that they come up to orkney and maintain them too, so what a result so now i got to wait till the man comes up and we take it from there, and today we had to wait in for a new freezer to be delivered, not at the time they said later on no idea of time here so frustrating, anyway got it switiched on and took packing to be disposed of so had a busy time.
  • speedalong
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Just spotted your suggestion speedalong - no, unfortunately. We're in a mid-terraced house, Victorian, tall and narrow. There are two flights of stairs, both steep and narrow. We have to move - I loathe living here now. I just want to shut my eyes, wave a wand, and wake up in the perfect bungalow. I would prefer a new-build has they have to follow disabled access rules. My ostrich of a husband cannot accept that I am heading for a wheelchair. At least one of us has a small grip on reality. DD

Sounds sensible to be looking for something where everything is all on one level and to move before you have no choice. I know what you mean about the wave the wand bit ....

Speedy
  • speedalong
    Options
    only49 wrote:
    hi

had a busy week so far in btween fixing D computer and phoning people i had a good out come at the end of the day, first off phoned the trading standards to see if they can help in anyway and explained everything to them and he said the same as what i had thought there must be a way round this problem ( meaning getting a stairlift from south and after sales service ) anyway he phoned a company called bi**n and they told him who does them here and that they come up to orkney and maintain them too, so what a result so now i got to wait till the man comes up and we take it from there, and today we had to wait in for a new freezer to be delivered, not at the time they said later on no idea of time here so frustrating, anyway got it switiched on and took packing to be disposed of so had a busy time.

Sounds like progress.

Speedy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, My niece is disabled, she has a neuro degenartive thing, and she bought a stair lift thats been reconditioned. She loves it and its made her life better as well as her poor husband, who had been carrying her upstairs. She has very narrow stairl and they are also steep. I don't know about your problem of living on an island, but these days I would have thought something could be done. Good luck, love Sue