Pain clinic

Options
margareth64
margareth64 Member Posts: 148
edited 20. Jun 2010, 15:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ive finally recieved a letter about a pain clinic its not till August so still a while to go! What happens at these and what will i have to do?Im still doing night duty in the nursing home but i find it a real struggle my OA seems to be flaring up on full dose of co codamol and tramadol too not helping much!!Sorry about moaning :)
Margaret

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ive finally recieved a letter about a pain clinic its not till August so still a while to go! What happens at these and what will i have to do?Im still doing night duty in the nursing home but i find it a real struggle my OA seems to be flaring up on full dose of co codamol and tramadol too not helping much!!Sorry about moaning :)

Hi Margaret,

sorry you are really struggling at the mo. Are you taking anti-inflammatories too - if not go back to the GP and get some!! I haven't ever been to a pain clinic - but have read posts of others who have - most people are full of praise for them. Shame you have to wait until August ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Margaret,

I hope it will turn out to be helpful for you. Mine is me but some people are not so lucky.

When I first went I had a chart to fill in with numbers to register how much pain I had, did I sleep well etc. Then she examined me and came up with a plan of action to help bring the pain levels down.

Its been very helpful to me and I so hope you get some relief. I agree with Speedy though if you are struggling maybe go back to your doc and get some different tablets? August isn't too far but when your hurting it seems like a life time away. Fingers crossed you will find some help soon. hang in there Margaret. Cris x
  • margareth64
    Options
    speedalong wrote:

Hi Margaret,

sorry you are really struggling at the mo. Are you taking anti-inflammatories too - if not go back to the GP and get some!! I haven't ever been to a pain clinic - but have read posts of others who have - most people are full of praise for them. Shame you have to wait until August ...

Speedy

Hi speedy
    Yes im on Diclofenic 100mg and Lyrica 4 times a day and robaxin 750mg 4 times a day not sure which is is anti inflammatery one of them i think!!! :lol:
    Margaret
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Margaret - looks like you are on plenty of meds - but sometimes a diligent GP can tweak them and find something better ... Diclofenic - is an anti inflammatory ... don't know about others ... might be a better one out there for you ... might be worth a meds review with GP anything to make life easier until August.

Are work supportive?

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Pain management and pain clinics are a thing of the past round here. Apparently there are more important things on which to spend the money, mostly to do with treating drug addicts, which, in an odd sort of way, is what I am!

Opinions vary on their usefulness, but I would relish the opportunity to attend one. With any amount of luck yours will be run by someone who has experience of constant pain, not a well -meaning know-it-all, whose experience of pain was mild toothache in 1995. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • margareth64
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Margaret - looks like you are on plenty of meds - but sometimes a diligent GP can tweak them and find something better ... Diclofenic - is an anti inflammatory ... don't know about others ... might be a better one out there for you ... might be worth a meds review with GP anything to make life easier until August.

Are work supportive?

Speedy

I had to leave my original nursing home as they wouldnt change my hrs and they didnt use hoists i was working 4 0r 5 nights in a row with no break deff hard work it was a emi unit too .Im now working in a lovely wee place that i do 3 nites a week and we all use hoists great atmosphere too very friendly just like a family i love it! :D:D
    Margaret
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    That's good then. Keep going for as long as you can, because it does take your mind off things if you are able to mix with other people. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    Its good to hear you can keep working.
    My mum attended a pain clinic and she felt it was a waste of time.
    You get giving coping strategies and advice on pacing yourself
    and managing your priorities. I saw all the handouts she got, Loads and loads of them. You can get the same advice on the web if you look for it. Pain clinic sounds like - ohh they can help me with pain, I guess you get what you can out of it and it may really help you :)
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    I asked my doc about a pain clinic and he said they could do nothing for me other than he could......tweak my tablets. because I was waiting for a second THR????????? so I'm going back to him next week to ask him to tweak them again and see if he can get them right this time.
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    Options
    I had to leave my original nursing home as they wouldnt change my hrs and they didnt use hoists i was working 4 0r 5 nights in a row with no break deff hard work it was a emi unit too .Im now working in a lovely wee place that i do 3 nites a week and we all use hoists great atmosphere too very friendly just like a family i love it!

Margaret -sounds like you have a much better job now, it sounds lovely - caring of it's staff and residents. Employers who realise happy staff mean happy residents - how refreshing.

Speedy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, The pain clinic may be able to help you by teaching you ways of managing pain. I'm afraid my experience wasn't very positive, but I maybe went at a bad time. Some of the staff were off sick and they couldn't do all the things they promised to try! They did change some of my medication, though and that was helpful! :wink:

As for your work, I am an ex care worker and they retired me with a good pension. I worked for the council, which was lucky! Have you spoken to an occupational therapist? They may have some answers. I do hope you can work something out.
    Love Sue
  • margareth64
    Options
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, The pain clinic may be able to help you by teaching you ways of managing pain. I'm afraid my experience wasn't very positive, but I maybe went at a bad time. Some of the staff were off sick and they couldn't do all the things they promised to try! They did change some of my medication, though and that was helpful! :wink:

As for your work, I am an ex care worker and they retired me with a good pension. I worked for the council, which was lucky! Have you spoken to an occupational therapist? They may have some answers. I do hope you can work something out.
    Love Sue
    I work for a private care home which means no pension! Ive yet to see an OT my doc said i dont need to see one!!!
    Margaret
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    You can self refer to an OT if you think it will help....or at least you can here...I know I did a good few years ago
    Its worth a try

Love
    Hileena