Started on the meds..

Options
abbie41
abbie41 Member Posts: 55
edited 17. Jun 2010, 11:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I had my first appointment with a rheumatology nurse Monday.

She read through all the information about sulfalazine and methotrexate including all the side effects, gave me lots of blood testing bags and some iron tabs.

She did a DAS test on me too and I scored 5.16 so I have quite high inflammation apparently. I was doing really well until she asked if I was happy. I said 'No Of course Im not bloody happy taking all these tablets that might harm me and give me horrid side effects' what a stupid bloody question! Starting crying and got awesome Panda eyes
:lol: My hubby was there and he tried to comfort me.
I have another appointment in September to see how I am doing and to have another DAS test. In the meantime there is a nurse helpline I can ring if I have any worries.

Side effects that I have so far are feeling sick - a dry cough and a headache that comes and goes every few hours. I am on a low dose of MTX and increasing the strength each week. I am gonna really try and put up with it as I have heard how great these tablets can be - i just want to feel well again :)

Comments

• wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good luck with the mtx. Don't worry about the tears - most of us have done that at some point....I certainly have!

Lois x
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Abbie

Good luck with the Methotrexate.

I started on 10mg and increased each week by 12.5g. I am now on a steady 20mg.
    Don't think it is working yet however my left elbow may be a wee bit better so positive thinking!
    I know alot of people are anxious about taking it however when I go to bed on Monday nights I think "Yipee, tomorrow is Tuesday, Methotrexate Day" as I am trying to believe it will work.
    Luckily, I just feel a wee bit sicky and really tired on Tuesdays the day I take it and sometimes the day after.
    Positive thoughts and keep us posted.
    Carol :lol:
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    wibberley wrote:
    Good luck with the mtx. Don't worry about the tears - most of us have done that at some point....I certainly have!

Lois x

I find that the times I burst into tears in front of GP of Rheumy they actually LISTEN to me more as I know that I usually do my usual of putting a brave face on everything and then I blame them when they don't take my pain seriously??!! I am daft I know.

So, let the tears flow when they come and as my Gran says "Better out than in".
    Carol
  • abbie41
    Options
    Thanks Carol and Lois

I will let you know how I get on.
    I do hate losing control infront of strangers. Im sure the nurses are used to it though :oops:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Yes, they are used to it, and it tells them how you are coping (or not) so don't be afraid to let the tears flow.

I scored 31 on my last DAS so I beat you! (Nelson from the Simpsons laugh coming up - ha-ha!) There are 78 joints in the body, 31 are affected. I am determined to aquire some more before my next DAS!

Battle on with the dry mouth/cough etc, the body has to adjust to these poisons and it does, but it can make life pretty ropy whilst it does so. There is every chance that this could work for you, you seem to have caught it in the early stages, which is a very good thing. My fingers are crossed and I am winging positive thoughts towards you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Abbie,

She will be used to emotion! I know its not nice to lose it in front of strangers but sometimes things just hit in and someone just has to say one word and you start. Its something all of us have done at one time or another.

Persevere with the mtx if you can cus i it heps you its a good drug. I haven't been on it too long but its done some good already though it does make me some sick :roll: Good luck and keep us posted Cris x
  • petals
    petals Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi Abbie,
    I started taking my Metho in March and have steadily upped the dose to 15mg per week. I can honestly say that I have never felt sick with them, not even a little bit queezy. The only thing I have noticed is that I always feel hot, and need to fling off the bed clothes, not wanting to wear my coat etc but that I can cope with. The other thing is that when I take my weekly dose it knocks me out for hours so I take it at bedtime and it puts me out straight away which is actually to the good as I get a really good sleep.
    On the positive side, a on scale of 1 to 10 my pain has gone down from a 9 to a 2 so that is brilliant.
    Give your meds a chance and be patient as they don't work straight away but hopefully you will feel better soon.
    Love Petals
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Petals, it's lovely to have some good news. I am so pleased for you. Battle on! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Petals,

Snap! :D Only the last week I have felt sick a lot but getting some anti emetcs now and hopefully it will wear its self out in a week or two :wink: Its a good drug if it suits you and I have to say I had a very bad reaction to sulfa for 9 months that I find he mtx a breeze :wink:

Long may it work for you! and nice to meet you. Cris x
  • abbie41
    Options
    its great to hear different stories on how drugs for RA work and affect people. Thanks for all your kindness. :)
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hi Abbie
    Glad you now have your pills and really hope that they work for you and that you don't struggle too much with the side effects.
    Good luck! And please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.
    Love Tilly x