National Anthems

Options
dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 18. Jun 2010, 09:46 in Community Chit-chat archive
As some of you may know, there is a small event going on in South Africa at the moment, the football World Cup. This is a tiny, international event, involving many men chasing a ball and trying to kick it where they want it to go. Apparently the ball is not a good one, and they cannot kick it well. It makes for riveting viewing. Not.

We have also been exposed to many national anthems as a result of this litle kick-about, and ye gods, what a dreadful set of tunes they are. Mournful dirges (ours), grand opera (Italian and anything South American) and completely forgettable (everyone elses) apart from . . . . . Le Marseillaise (or is it La - why do European languages insist on giving everything a gender?)

The French NA is one that makes you want to get up and go - go fight a battle for your country, go kick a football and win. It's jaunty, cheerful, fast, up-beat. I think it's the best out of a woeful bunch.

I am prepared for the howls of protest and the bunging of rotten food in my direction. DD
Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    S LOVES our national anthem ... not because he is patriotic ...but he is fascinated by TV idents and logos and they always used to play it at closedown on the TV ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    I like the french one too actually. Our one is pretty serious and so are alot of the others. Mind you I like watching how many of the players get the words wrong - thats funny :lol:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    S LOVES our national anthem ... not because he is patriotic ...but he is fascinated by TV idents and logos and they always used to play it at closedown on the TV ...

Speedy

Dan loves our national anthem too- as long as we dont hum or sing it! and Rule Brittania is a particular fave at the moment.

Now i am odd but i love the national anthems.Everybody loves their nation-even/ especially the oppressed ones. One poor North Korean was in floods of tears. I couldnt work out if he was crying for the nation or he was very patriotic!
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    oh got booklet with the first verse of them translated into english and the french one such a downer lol most of them hard going as songs would never win euro vision val
    val
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    valval wrote:
    oh got booklet with the first verse of them translated into english and the french one such a downer lol most of them hard going as songs would never win euro vision val

Im not sure about that Val!

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi DD,

Now I really like the South African Anthem....... xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yes, it's a musical one, isn't it? It flows well. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Now, if you could choose an anthem del . . . . . what would it be? Glam rock? Heavy metal? Disco? Grunge? Or just Jerusalem? DD
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    Options
    i'll answer that one DD. i would totally go for something rocky or metal!

went to visit my bro and sis-in-law last night to pass on a birthday card for my bro and 2 pieces of my birthday cake, bro had the match on. the french NA came on and all I had going round my head for the rest of the night was the song sang on the credits of 'The Simpsons Movie'
    'the tune we stole from the French, there's a few things they do well'
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    OO-er missus. :shock: DD