scary phone call this afternoon ....

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 18. Jun 2010, 16:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
.......from out of the blue ... from a number that only came up on our phone as 'international' from someone claiming that they represent Microsoft and have info that my computer has notified them :shock: of a corruption in my firewall security system :shock: :shock: and they wanted me to input certain commands to let them know how many of these malicious files there are on my computer :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No I may be a bit green in some things but this sounded like a con to me ..... but he was soooooooo insistent. WOuldn't take no for an answer - took me 10 mins to get rid of him as I insisted that they gave me a number that I could check out and then ring them back, which he did.

I rang hubby at work who had a word with their IT people, and they thought it highly suspicious and told me not to ring or to give out any info to anyone who rang like this. :shock:

Just wondering though .... what if it is real .......... :? :? & did I do the right thing ..... :? :?

anyone else heard or experienced anything like this?

just going to do some detective work on the phone number I was given.

thanks
WOnky xxxx

Comments

• abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sounds like a phishing scam to me - trying to get your details and then steal all your money or identity.

thank goodness you queried it! read this link :shock:

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/msname.aspx
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    .......from out of the blue ... from a number that only came up on our phone as 'international' from someone claiming that they represent Microsoft and have info that my computer has notified them :shock: of a corruption in my firewall security system :shock: :shock: and they wanted me to input certain commands to let them know how many of these malicious files there are on my computer :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

No I may be a bit green in some things but this sounded like a con to me ..... but he was soooooooo insistent. WOuldn't take no for an answer - took me 10 mins to get rid of him as I insisted that they gave me a number that I could check out and then ring them back, which he did.

I rang hubby at work who had a word with their IT people, and they thought it highly suspicious and told me not to ring or to give out any info to anyone who rang like this. :shock:

Just wondering though .... what if it is real .......... :? :? & did I do the right thing ..... :? :?

anyone else heard or experienced anything like this?

just going to do some detective work on the phone number I was given.

thanks
    WOnky xxxx

Yes, Wonky, someone rang with the same story, to my Dads house while we were there. Total scam, wanting you to log onto whatever site they have, probably for key logging or to get bank details. You can put the number on "whocallsme" they list all the bogus people that try and scam people. You can log the number on the site and make a comment, so that other people are aware.
    http://whocallsme.com/

XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 17. Jun 2010, 10:54
    Options
    Horrible - these people are so clever and conniving, GOOD FOR YOU not to be taken in because so many are. If you get another one like that, don't debate anything, just say there's someone at the door, put the receiver down next to the phone and wander off and leave it. They won't stay on the line for long. Then report it to whoever needs to know.

I have a friend who, when she gets a call she doesn't trust will start telling the caller that God will save his soul no matter what he has done wrong in his life, or she stands there singing 'la la la la la la' until they get bored and out the phone down! Works every time!DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    thank you both so much

Abbie - I went onto the Microsoft site to look but was boggled with all the info and didn't find that page :roll: it really is a good job I have watched so many programmes about frauds :roll: :roll:

Bubbles - I have put in that number and you were right too .... others have mentioned similar calls, and now mine is there for others to know about.

phew .... not feeling so silly now ....... but still shaking so will have to go into the cafe for a cuppa and a LARGE slice of choccy cake :wink:

thanks so much

hugs
    Wonky xxxxxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    This is a very common scam to gain access to your computer.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Horrible - these people are so clever and conniving, GOOD FOR YOU not to be taken in because so many are. If you get another one like that, don't debate anything, just say there's someone at the door, put the receiver down next to the phone and wander off and leave it. They won't stay on the line for long. Then report it to whoever needs to know.

I have a friend who, when she gets a call she doesn't trust will start telling the caller that God will save his soul no matter what he has done wrong in his life, or she stands there singing 'la la la la la la' until they get bored and out the phone down! Works every time!DD

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

might not be brave enough to do htat, but I will do what hubby said to do instead and leave answerphone on and screen all our calls. should have known better than to answer an 'international' call but family probs made me wonder :roll: :roll:

thanks I do feel better for knowing I didn't give in.

hugs
    WOnky xxxx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    It is an unsettling thing. Take a few deep breaths! DD
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    It is an unsettling thing. Take a few deep breaths! DD

and breathe in ............ and out ...............
    and in ............ and out ...............

that's better :D

off for a cuppa :wink:
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    This is the kind of thing you always hear about and are given advice about but when it's your turn to be scammed, it can go horribly wrong.

Thankfully you did the right thing - we're very proud of you :D

Nx

PS - I tried to change the PIN number on my debit card today, didn't read the instructions on the screen properly and so the machine ate my card. Ringing the bank was VERY embarassing!
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    ninakang wrote:
    Thankfully you did the right thing - we're very proud of you :D

thank you! I'm not cause I got into a state .... but i didn't give in so am pleased about that!
    ninakang wrote:
    I tried to change the PIN number on my debit card today, didn't read the instructions on the screen properly and so the machine ate my card. Ringing the bank was VERY embarassing!

:lol::lol: oh Nina I am sorry to laugh but my hubby did exactly the same ..... though at least you know that the bank security system works :wink:

I went with him on the second occasion to make sure he read it right :roll: :wink::lol::lol:
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Wonky .... I hate unsolicited calls they are so obtrusive. Well done for keeping your head!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ninakang, it probably wasn't your fault. Those things are fitted by men, always in sunny places, so you can't see the screen anyway. DD
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    This is worth registering with Wonky, to at least limit, as much as possible, any scam calls.

https://www.donotcall.gov/
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Must be a scam wonky, good for you in spotting them, by the way did the person have an accent of any kind??.
  • Wonkylegs
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Must be a scam wonky, good for you in spotting them, by the way did the person have an accent of any kind??.

sounded indian but said he was ringing from Australia.

very persistent .... I bet he thought I was a right silly ***** nearly falling for his spiel :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Rest assured, you have irritated him highly because you didn't fall for it. WHICH IS A GOOD THING. DD
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    mellman01 wrote:

sounded indian but said he was ringing from Australia.

very persistent .... I bet he thought I was a right silly ***** nearly falling for his spiel :roll:

Wonky

I was watching a programme not long ago about this sort of thing. It showed how they train them to be persistant, get the person to start thinking their way. The worst part was how they kept on at the victim some still going on for an hour or more, until the victim gave in.

You were right Wonky. Never let them get at you. Put the phone down on them and then leave it off the hook.

I'm keeping the sites some of you have given.

Wonky you made him look silly by not falling for it. :D:D:D

Trish xxxx

Trish xxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hey you don't think it was dear old Osama Binliner trying to get funds for a new rug in his cave do you?.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Back on form mell! DD
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Good for u seeing him off. Frightening though i will certainly warn people i know about this scam.
    Now breath in 1234 and out let all the stress out with the out ward breath." I said breath out the outward breath" ooh you have gone a bit red :lol:
    No really and seriously well done for getting rid of this guy and dont worry sleep well u did the right thing. I am sorry there are swines like that out there really sorry they picked on you . They did not succeed though you should be proud of yourself. from joanne
    Joanne
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    took me 10 mins to get rid of him
    Don't wait, it takes just 10 seconds, you are in control. Hang up the phone!

Never confirm your name, number or address to any stranger on the phone. Hang up instead! Never give answers to 'Just a phone survey' who are really sales. Hang up instead! Always stop for a few seconds and think, would you give the same information to a dodgy looking stranger who stops you on the street and who is looking to find someone/where to rob. Hang up instead!

As I tell them, every time one of these con people call. "I never give any information at all to total strangers who try to con me on the phone". Click. Hung up!

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I agree with you wholeheartedly livinglegend, but people don't want to appear to be rude to total strangers - and that is what they play on. These con merchants are not daft - they will aim for a certain age group (and gender too) because they feel confident they will get the outcome they want - and they usually do.

It's the invasion of privacy thing I suppose - no, I wouldn't give any private info to a stranger on the street but I forget that my telelphone number is now in the hands of all and sundry, no matter that I'm ex-directory. When the phone rings I expect it to be someone I know. DD
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Well done P&F! DD
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Well done you. They drive me mad at times. I just say I'm sorry I never give details over the phone or put my OH on as he's nearly deaf so all they get is hello, hello I can't hear you. Drives them nuts. :wink:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Laughing! Oh ironic, poor man! DD