might be fitted for walking stick

Options
aquaman
aquaman Member Posts: 21
hello all
i had a physio asessment on tuesday for my hip pain
told it may be early degenerative arthritis
i have been given some exercises to do
also i have told if does not improve in two weeks i may be fitted for a walking stick will this also impact on my knee replacement
aswell as i have just been made redundant from work because of
lack of capability to do manual work can any one give me information on applying for esa and job retraining

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I am so sorry about the redundancy, it's a tough time to lose your job but hopefully some sort of package might be involved? I cannot help about ESA etc as I do not qualify.

To assess you for a stick all they do is work out where your hand should fall - I can't remember if it's just above your hip or just below it! (Years since mine was done, I like my crutches with my hand level with the hip!) Slow recall: just above. It can make a great difference having some support available to you - and it should ease any strain on your knee. I use sticks when going out, they are slightly smarter. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    aquaman wrote:
    hello all
    i had a physio asessment on tuesday for my hip pain
    told it may be early degenerative arthritis
    i have been given some exercises to do
    also i have told if does not improve in two weeks i may be fitted for a walking stick will this also impact on my knee replacement
    aswell as i have just been made redundant from work because of
    lack of capability to do manual work can any one give me information on applying for esa and job retraining

Hi, I'm sorry about your job, have you posted this on the working forum too? I don't know about ESA either, but I do know there is a disability officer at each job centre who should be able to give you advice. There could be issue around being sacked for incapability as you could come under disability law ... but I'm not the person to advise you .. hopefully someone else will be able too. Iris/Dorcas is great on all this - but only typing with one finger at the moment as she has just had major wrist surgery.

Using a stick should help you walk with less pain, a bit better and further. It won't do your knee any harm. I hope they physio helps ... and things start to improve for you.

Keep us posted.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi,

I've moved this to the working matters forum as it is more relevant to work and may get more help there

Take care

Y