edited 18. Jun 2010, 17:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Does anyone else suffer from gritty tired eyes.Is it related to arthritis or
mtx.Any help thanks in advance.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry Gazza, I don't know, but sure others will post soon.

Welcome to the forum.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I just wondered if you suffer from hayfever at all ..... because this is my problem at the moment with gritty eyes and I am fairly sure it is related to my hayfever.

However, if you are otherwise ok I would say it might be worth getting it checked out as it could be the RA affecting your eyes.

good luck!

wonky
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think there are a few threads on this already. Try doing a search and see what comes up.
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • twinney
    twinney Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hello There,
    I went to opticians this week, and told him about my eyes feeling gritty and sometimes I get blurred vision. He did a lot of tests and told me that I had "dry eye syndrome" which he thought was due to the Arthritis.
    He told me to go to see my doc to get eye drops put on prescription, they were called " SYSTANE". They are lubricting drops and have really helped me. The Optician also told me to make sure I eat plenty of tuna, to take flaxseed oil capsules , and to put a hot flannel on my eyes morning and night.
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Lynda
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Gazza,I saw my rheumy nurse last week and mentioned my sore,itchy eyes and she told me it was due to the arthritis and suggested I use some artificial eye drops.Because I had an appointment for an eye test the following day,I also mentioned it to the optician and he agreed with her.He gave me eye drops called Hypromellose and I've noticed a difference already.After the second time of using them the soreness and itchyness had reduced greatly and the past couple of days I've had no problems.The eye drops can be bought over the counter at the chemist.Might be worth you trying them to see if they help your problem. Breane. :)
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Gazza

I suffer with this. I was diagnosed with dry eyes and I think a lot of arthurs suffer from it. I use "Hypermellulose" eye drops during the night and "Simple Eye Ointment" at night. You don't need a prescription to get these. Our medication doesn't help either.

I don't know about you but my eyes have been very bad for the past few weeks.

Your post has reminded me to get more drops!

Sharmaine
    X
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I get gritty eyes, but they seem to be caused by heyfever. This is a bad time of year for it. Although, at the moment, I'm fine but, my husband is terrible and putting in drops!

Love Sue
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    I get dry eyes, which, my optician says makes your eyes weep. I get a sudden very strong itchy feeling, I have to rub hard and it goes away.

I thought this was just one of the joys of life?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I get this too. It could be Sjorgens syndrome, a link to arthritis. I dont suffer from hayfever.I have R.A.

Sometimes I get a good patch other times it feels very painful and have to take out my contact lenses.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    It can be related, either to aurthur, drugs and or other things like sjogrens. my GP prescribes carbomer gel tears, they are pretty good. I think you can buy them as well, but worth asking, if you have a pre paid prescription. xx Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    bubbles wrote:
    It can be related, either to aurthur, drugs and or other things like sjogrens. my GP prescribes carbomer gel tears, they are pretty good. I think you can buy them as well, but worth asking, if you have a pre paid prescription. xx Bubbles

Excellent, I'm on the case! ta.

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi, I've got OA and went to my doc with gritty eyes.....he said it was an infection and gave me antibiotics.
    Went to the optician a week later to get my glasses changed ...mentioned my gritty eyes and drops I was taking...He said "Have you got arthritis"...yes.....thats what it is then he said and gave me some different drops which worked.

Love
    Hileena
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I got dry eyes after being on mxt. this was after series of conjuctivitis episodes which they said was side effect of mxt. And the dry eyes was due to Rheumatoid. Check it out with doctor or optition. Sorry to hear u are suffering from joanne
    Joanne