Mtx and alcohol

Options
annajayne
annajayne Member Posts: 28
edited 21. Jun 2010, 17:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI, this has probably been covered on here millions of times, but havent used this site for a while....but reality check i need to sort things lol!!!
what is the score with drinking and mtx....I vaguely remember when I first went on it, I was told could have a drink but not binge...what do I do?? never have a few but occasionally BINGE!!! does it accelerate liver damage or does it affect RA?? sorry not being stupid but had a few too many at my brothers wedding on sat and vowed not to drink again......then I thought I dont think Im meant to anyway.........
any opinions would be good..

anna

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The methotrexate is cleared from your system by your liver, hence the general rule is not to harm the liver further by indulging in alcohol. It is true to say, however, that individual reactions to alcohol vary widely. Obviously I can only give you mine!

I am on meth, (17.5mg weekly injection) sulph, naproxen, oral steroids and humira (40mg fortnightly injection) for PA. I have fortnightly blood tests and my liver figures are consistently between 12 - 30, well within the normal range as far as my hospital is concerned. I regularly glug white wine, at least two glasses per night because I need to be reminded that there are still some things that I can do.

Doctors peddle many myths. It amuses them. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • annajayne
    annajayne Member Posts: 28
    Options
    That makes sense. I dont drink often.....with a little boy infact prob only go out once, twice month max, so not like I hit the bottle lots. I agree, have to be able to do a bit of what we like, theres so much i cant do with friends and my little man ,yet drinking there is no restriction...well obviously there is but no-one can enforce it. Gonna think about it different now, but cant stop having fun...

somtimes a few voddies escapes me into a different world of normailty and takes away the pain and low feeling.......... a healthy doctor would never understand!!!

anna x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Very few doctors understand. That's a huge problem for most of us. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi annajayne, I don't know about meth ... but I do know it depends on the doc - some give the official docs answer and some give the what they would do answer!!

Eg when I was on top dose of (nearly typed alcohol then - freudian slip - think had better go and pour a glass of wine :lol: ) solpadol - I asked the Gp who prescibed them and she said of course I would drink - just to be aware the tablets would increase my response to the alcohol ( a cheaper hangover then!) she said her hubby had drunk alcohol whilst on the tablets after a skiing injury and he was fine.

When going back to request some more tablets, a different doc volunteered the warning - don't drink when you are on these tablets!!

As with everything ... moderation is the key ...

Cheers!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Anna
    probably too late for your question but here's my tuppence worth anyway.... :wink:
    The key thing as with all drugs is be aware – as your liver processes all these drugs it is already quite busy when you are on stuff like MTX so adding in alcohol to the mix is making it work harder. It can cause damage but it depends on how much you drink and your bodies personal response to these things.
    If you want to be 100% sure that you minimise the damage don’t drink, don’t take mtx....but if you are like most regular people and actually want to get on with life a bit of moderation and awareness and you’ll probably be fine. The odd binge for a wedding or special occasion will probably be ok , use your common sense and if you are already worn down and unwell adjust what you are doing.
    I’ve been on MTX for years and I’m married to a Dr which ensures that my alcohol intake is probably higher than it should be (Dr’s have the best stocked wine racks in the country!!!), my bloods are fine and I process the drug well with little side effects even though I am on a high level dose (25mg)
    Different doctors say different things but I go with the realistic ones that say don’t regularly overdo it and you’ll be fine
    Hope that reassures you
    Chrissie
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    hi, I was advised to keep it to 6 units a week and no alcohol the day of mtx or day after. I take mine on a Monday so can have wine at the weekend if I like.