phyiso/occupational health

Options
annajayne
annajayne Member Posts: 28
edited 20. Jun 2010, 17:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
I see my rhuemy regularly but should I see a physio /occ health person too?
my dad had appoint totally irrelevant to me yesterday but mentioned me and the physio was surprised that I havent been reffered...given the (naturally) fused wrist situaiton.
Has everyone else been refered or is this something I have to ask for???
anna

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A little more detail on what is wrong would help. I think you said on your other post that you have RA. Where, to what extent and how are you affected? OA people seem to go to physio/occupational health more than RA - at least that's how it appears to me on these forums. Could be wrong, usually am. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • annajayne
    annajayne Member Posts: 28
    Options
    HI, Just in general for people with RA, i have 2 fused wrists and knees are a bit worse for wear......just wondered if physio would do anything for me, to be honest would have thought my rheumy would have sent me if he thought would make a difference, but the physio my dad spoke to just got me wondering if maybe i should be seeing one...??

thanku, anna
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    We need an RA bod to come along - I'm sure one will be here soon! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi,
    I have OA and I think one of the reasons that we tend to see Physio's and OT's more often is that treating the pain is just about the best they can do. With RA, it is a systemic disease and can be helped (hopefully) with medication, :?: People RA should see Physio's and OT'sl, though as correct tools and exercise is just as important to them. I think when you go to see a Rheummy at the hospital, sometimes they concentrate on the things that they can do medically, with drugs etc and forget to refer.

This is only my opinion and my well be a load of c###p!! :shock:
    I'd ask, next time you see someone,or phone the consultants secretary. :wink:
    Love Sue
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    I haven't seen one for years, I did ask for one when my last replacement joint was taken out but they don't do much these days, 5mins is all you get on a good day. You get a few questions, they'll give you some exercises to do and send you home, two lots of that and you're discharged. When what we need, is an ongoing service.

My wife is recovering from 2 fractures of her pelvis and she didn't get offered anything, she went private to get herself back to work quicker. I presume they, the surgeries, are cutting back on services offered?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Annajayne, I have had physio on and off over the years ... I have OA though.

No harm in asking rheumy/GP if they feel it would help ...

Once a joint has fused ... I can't imagine it would help, but exercises might prevent others from fusing??

Let us know what they say.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi

I have RA and do see physio from time to time. RA patients DO see OT and physio for aids, exercise, hydro, wax baths. I see them for aids such as splints, crutches my wheelchair & give you daily exercises which can hurt! It won't do any harm seeing one, as speedalong says they may recommend something to help your other joints.
    I saw OT a couple of weeks ago and got referral to social services for an assessment for aids around my house which was an added bonus. I'd only gone to get some more splints! So it could pay off for you

Janie
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I've got OA and had physio when I was diagnosed {about 8 yrs ago} then was told keep up the exercises....there was nothing more they could do. Even after my THR I didnt see a physio, except twice in the hospital {not after I went home} As for an OT...I have a feeling {could be wrong....just for a change LOL LOL}but I think you can self refer if you think they might have any aids that could help.

Love
    Hileena
  • biddybeth
    biddybeth Member Posts: 45
    Options
    annajayne wrote:
    HI, Just in general for people with RA, i have 2 fused wrists and knees are a bit worse for wear......just wondered if physio would do anything for me, to be honest would have thought my rheumy would have sent me if he thought would make a difference, but the physio my dad spoke to just got me wondering if maybe i should be seeing one...??

thanku, anna

Hi anna, I have had RA since I was a child, and I seem to remeber being toldthat physiotherapy was not advised for RA. I do gentle exercises on my own, as I feel I have enough pain without being made to move my joints for some physio terrorist! My bits are all fused anyway. Beth
  • jenniet
    jenniet Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with RA for 2 years and at my last appointment the rheumatologist suggested physio. As I have RA affecting multiple joints, but not too badly since happily my medication seems to have sorted it out at the moment, I wondered what they would do. I had an initial assessment and now six sessions to go. They have given me an exercise programme to generally strengthen and tone up the muscles etc. which help to hold the joints in place, (I think! ) but I'm to slow things down if things begin to hurt too much! So I'm just waiting to see how things go ..............................