Tea link to rheumatoid arthritis

Options
wibberley
wibberley Member Posts: 421
edited 19. Jun 2010, 16:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100617/thl-tea-risk-for-rheumatoid-arthritis-d831572.html

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. I'd never touched a drop of tea before my JIA diagnosis - aged 7 is a bit young to have a caffiene habit! However, now I definitely drink more than 4 cups a day, and could never switch to coffee as I can't bear the stuff.

At first I though 'Oh no, here we go again' but if there is something in it, what do I drink instead?!

Lois x

Comments

• marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Gosh - I have always been an avid tea drinker.. I will look into this research!!

That annual European rheumatology conference is a very good event and a lot of well respected rheumatologists go to it/present their research at it .. I must check the web and find out what other research results have been published recently..

Thanks Lois

Marion
  • wibberley
    Options
    Yup, I usually take these claims with a pinch of salt......not too big a pinch, not good for ya! :lol: However, I know I drink too much tea....heavens, I'd had 4 mugs by midday! I am, for once, very interested in this and if there is real proof, then I'll steer my kids away from developing a habit like mine.

They do say more women than men suffer from RA, and I'd say women drink more tea than men too.

Lois x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Lois,

What ever its doing to me I could never give up tea!!!! NEVER :lol::lol::lol: Us Cornish seem to have it drip fed to us from birth :lol:

Hope your lads ok now and Rowan sends him and you a neigh. ((( ))) Cris xx
  • wibberley
    Options
    Hi Lynn, old habits break hard.....impossibly hard. Even when I lived in the Middle East and Asia, I drank bucketloads of the stuff - water just doesn't touch the spot like good old Tetleys does (and I had to pay a king's ransom for it!).

Hiya Cris - I'll bet Rowan is changing by the day. Neville's fine now and has been chucked back outdoors again. Was looking too cosy in the stable and we're just financially unable to keep him in the manner to which he'd like to be accustomed!

I could quite happily drink green tea but they'll probably say that's bad for us now too! It's almost too simplistic to be true, really!

Lois x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Whatever will they come up with next? Remember the Colgate toothpaste cancer scare? And all the others too silly to mention? Animals get arthritis, they don't drink gallons of tea. LIfe itself is the bringer of disease, nothing more, nothing less. DD (who is off to make a cuppa and has PA anyway) (caused by breathing) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Whatever will they come up with next? Remember the Colgate toothpaste cancer scare? And all the others too silly to mention? Animals get arthritis, they don't drink gallons of tea. LIfe itself is the bringer of disease, nothing more, nothing less. DD (who is off to make a cuppa and has PA anyway)

(caused by breathing) DD

Oh dear - You DO make me laugh .... :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you ... I need to laugh today ...

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Well if tea causes it my mum would have it, she drinks at least 10 cups a day.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    A mere novice! I am on my eleventh today, first at 1.25am, followed by 3.45am, then 4.35am. The rest have been at more civilised times, including now. It is the cup that comforts and cheers. DD
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi again

Actually, I didn't know that many Americans drank tea.. ..

Thanks Lynn for that tea website information - I will check that out..

Marion
  • wibberley
    Options
    We lived in the US for a couple of years and yes, it was hard work finding a kettle. However, there are plenty who do drink tea, especially iced tea.

For now I won't be giving up my daily cuppa or ten, but it would be interesting if there was some kind of link.

Lois x
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Lois,

Really glad Nevile is back to his self again. Oh can imagine..... my sheep also have 2 bales of hay each week and a bale of straw a well as a 2 bags of nuts a month so can imagine Nevile would eat that in 2 weeks?

Oh I have some really nice pics of Rowan... he is so big ans so very well marked! He is sweet as well and has started to come to me... though Mrs Fanny of the Flat ears isn't too impressed he does that! :lol::lol: She really is like a shark :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hey the feral one...... I can stroke her :D:D:D

tell you what though deep down all the foaling make me miss my own... now she was beautiful, top drawer T/B and totally beautiful..... oh the bias T/B set :lol::lol::lol: ((( ))) and a cuppa :lol::lol: Cris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    But what could it be? I know the tannin stains your stomach lining, the caffeine is supposedly bad for one as it is too stimulating, what else? I'm surprised the research is Amercan 'cos I thought they didn't understand tea, along with all the other things they don't understand. (hope carolanivy ain't about!) DD
  • abbie41
    abbie41 Member Posts: 55
    Options
    My old boss has OA and swears by that rooibush tea, apparently its all she drinks and has been a major factor in her feeling less pain. I am tempted to try it. I like my PG tips not giving that up!
  • wibberley
    Options
    If nothing else, something like this could put paid to all those other 'arthritis-free diets' out there, concocted by people with ££££ signs in their eyes and absolutely no medical experience!

However, still not giving up Tetleys yet!

Lois x
  • skezier
    Options
    Oh Lynn...... do you want a load of nettles to make your own :wink: I think I shall stick to ordinary Tetley and a cup for you all if you'd all like one :wink:

saying that Abbie if it works lease let us know..... xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Give up tea????!!!!!!! You have got to be joking! My Whittard's English Breakfast Tea is an absolute lifesaver for me. When you have arthritis you have to cling on to life's little pleasures and, for me, tea is one of those. (Mind you, if I really believed it would make my RA go away I'd stop it in a flash)!
    Now, which one of us is going to be first to report back that a well meaning friend has seen this article and thinks that something as simple (or not depending on your caffeine addiction level) as not drinking tea will just make it all go away - as if by magic.
    Yours cynically, Tilly Teapot xxx b025.gif
  • biddybeth
    biddybeth Member Posts: 45
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Give up tea????!!!!!!! You have got to be joking! My Whittard's English Breakfast Tea is an absolute lifesaver for me. When you have arthritis you have to cling on to life's little pleasures and, for me, tea is one of those. (Mind you, if I really believed it would make my RA go away I'd stop it in a flash)!
    Now, which one of us is going to be first to report back that a well meaning friend has seen this article and thinks that something as simple (or not depending on your caffeine addiction level) as not drinking tea will just make it all go away - as if by magic.
    Yours cynically, Tilly Teapot xxx b025.gif

I'm with you Tilly, I could never give up my cuppa. Sometimes I have green tea which is supposed to be good for you, and I must say, if I'm feeling stressed, it does calm me down. Love, Beth
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    That's worth knowing biddybeth, I've often wondered about its benefits. Thank you, I will try it. DD
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    :shock: Give up tea :shock: I don't think so, I can't function till I have had at least 2 cups of twinings. I drink bucket loads of tea not keen on coffee. Since being diagnosed with r/a I have given up alcohol dancing and more alcohol, I'm not giving up my mug of tea.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    EEK noooo, cannot do without tea. Only thing that keeps me going. I'll put the kettle on for a good cup of tea, it's the British way of sorting all our problems out.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    You posh thing you. Tetley does me, tho I am partial to jasmine tea, such a delicate flavour. I used to teach in Knightsbridge and could afford to get my jasmine tea from Harrods, still have my Harrods tea-caddy type spoon. Someone else (earlier on) mentioned the Teapigs range, I discovered these in Sidmouth in 2008. I do enjoy the delicate teas but the best cuppas are builders', with cow produce. No sugar tho. DD
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    The tea has always brewed in our family my gran had a cup pa every half hour. We are all big on tea here will cut down i think herbal for me i think. :D
    Joanne
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi

My daughter tells me this tea and RA issue was even mentioned on GMTV this morning.. gosh!!

Marion
  • rosyred
    rosyred Member Posts: 150
    Options
    TEA is my fav and when im down or feeling blue out comes the tea pot (Not that its ever away)
    I love my cuppas and dont really drink anything else apart from a glass or 2 of juice.. X
  • salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    Options
    I hardly drink any tea compared to some of you! Just one cup a day. Prefer coffee!