Advice re Gadget for putting on tights

Options
marion1952
marion1952 Member Posts: 963
edited 20. Jun 2010, 18:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Folks

I have two of the plastic gadgets fwith tapes for putting on tights and socks - one is the 'double' and one is the 'single '' I have just spent a long time trying to get a pair of 'support tights' on, to try and improve the swelling/poor circulation in my operated leg - but after a lot of swearing have given up as my new hip was starting to give me some gyp with the tussle ...

Has anyone found the knack of using these gadgets??

I have also seen a 'wire cage' type gadget for putting on the TEDs stockings in one of the disability catalogies and I wondered if this might be suitable for putting support tights on too ... It's about £30 though, so I don't want to waste money if it's no use.. has anyone tried the 'wire cage' thing??

Many thanks

Marion

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Marion,

You know in theory that would work..... I have never tried but still haven' got enough movement to put shoes and socks on today..... Sheep shearing will be the end of my spine I think :wink:

I often wonder about the sock things..... have you tried those as well?

Sorry I am able to hep you and seem to be asking the other way round :roll:

You take care and I still think your doing really well. Cris x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Sorry, no idea. I gave up wearing tights when my left knee hit 27 inches in circumference, so none fitted. I cannot bear the feel of them now. Would tubigrip under trousers be a better bet? I tend to swan around in ankle length skirts - they hide all offending appendages and coverings very well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Delboy

I find my crutch is a great gadget for putting on the lights!

Best wishes

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Boom-boom! Well done the pair of you! DD
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Marion, I don't wear tights often - but my sock-putter-on-er is meant to be for socks and tights. It works well for socks ... I looked online and there is a double version for tights - so you can put both feet in at the same time (no! NOT down the same leg!!)

My gadget looks like the dorking stocking aid http://www.betterlifehealthcare.com/products.php?search_filter=&catID=&subID=&pg=&set_records_per_page=15&show_offers=&search=1&search_text=tights

How much mobility to you have in the unoperated hip ... I think this would influence whether you needed the single or the double gadget.

If I can find a pair of tights later, I'll have a go and let you know if it is possible.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Folks

(Just been watching the ..er.. football - if you can call it that)..

Thanks for the tips.. tubigrip and trousers is an option, but again I would need to use the sock aid to put the tubigrip on (also tried that this morning, but tubigrip got stuck round my ankle and I ended up scratching myself using two 'grabbers' to try and pull it up (and then take it off)... hence the swearing ..

Speedalong - if you could try it out and let me know what you think, that would be great .. I actually have both the single (for socks/stockings) and the double one (for tights).. but am finding both absolutely hopeless.... and the fiddling about with them set off aching in my new hip this morning- so be careful if/when you try it!!

We have circulation problems in my family so I do need to use a support stocking/tights/tubigrip ...I've got a bit of phlebitis developing and purple patches on my lower leg and ankle where the blood is 'pooling' because I'm not as active as I usually am ...and sitting in my 'high chair' with my feet on the floor is making things worse (i used to use a foot stool before my hip problems!!

Anyway - off to bed now for an early night - with the foot of the bed raised - perhaps my purple balloon ankles will be a bit better tomorrow!

Thanks again

Marion
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Hmmmm, those things are tight. And thus difficult. I am so sorry, I have no idea. I'm sure others will come to the rescue tho. DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hi Marion, ok found some tights and had a go. I was successful with ordinary tights (on top of TEDS ..!! interesting combination,) but it was a faff ... and I don't know whether it would work with support tights as I don't have any.

Experimented and best way was as follows -
      1. Put gadget into toe of tight leg to go on op leg. 2. Wrinkle rest of tight leg onto gadget so caught in groove part. 3. Put gadget on the ground and slip in op leg foot. 4. Pull up to knee height. 5. Put in ok leg (I struggled with this as this leg is useless) 6. Stand up to pull up from knees.
    My gadget is no good with TEDS - but is fine with socks and ordinary tights. My gadget is a homecraft one.
    https://www.homecraft-rolyan.com/app.aspx?cmd=get_item&id=9544

Googled the double version approx £6 pounds.

My thigh aches slightly from trying this, but more from removing the tights after than from the putting them on.

Perhaps your OT could recommend something or even better loan it to you.

Hope swelling goes down. Do you elevate your legs during the day too?

I must go to bed!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Speedalong

You are a gem! Thanks ever so much for trying that out for me.. My two 'aids' are like those in the Betterlife catalogue too...

I guess it is something that gets easier with practice!

I will have another go tomorrow..

I hadn't spotted those compression stockings in the Betterlife catalogue before ... I will look into those - they might be better/easier for me at the moment, than the full john lewis support tights that I normally wear..

Yes - I have a lie down once a day to try and get the swelling down .. the overall swelling in my leg from the operation has improved over the weeks, but it's this 'pooling of blood' in the lower part of my leg/ankle that is still problematic..it's a genetic circulation problem - my dad had the same problem when he became immobile and my sister has had a dvt ..

Thanks again Speedalong - don't know what we would do without you here on the forum ..

Hope you have an 'easy' day and S can get to his sports session this weekend ..

Marion
    x
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about the pooling, it must be so uncomfortable. Would getting into the habit of lying down for ten minutes every hour or something like that help? I think I can understand why you cannot sit with your feet up, I guess that would stress a hip replacement, oh these things are SO FRUSTRATING! DD
  • speedalong
    Options
    Hope you have an 'easy' day and S can get to his sports session this weekend ..
    Thanks Marion - you have a good memory ...

Does the "pooling blood" condition have a name? Sounds very unpleasant ... have you only had it post op?

Speedy
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Sorry Marion ....No help whatsoever with this one...I got neither from the OT but had my hubby to use LOL
    Let us know if you are successful

Love
    Hileena
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI marion,

My mother-in-law wears support stockings and has a gadget like this but without the longer handles.

http://www.essentialaids.com/compression-stocking-aid-27998-0.html

unfortunately she is no longer able to use it herself but has help from her carers to put the stockings on using the above item. I have seen the carers and her diabetes nurse use the gadget without any problem but not sure how it would work using it on your own.

Her greatest problem is being able to take them off without help ...... so spends all evening worrying about making sure to remember to ask whichever carer comes at night to take them off for her or she has to spend all night in them :shock: We tried getting a dressing stick for her, but it was impossible for her to use this to help.

So I wonder if you have any tips on that? she hasn't much strength in her arms, and has very stiff ankles which is part of the problem for her.
    thanks
    wonky xxxx
  • marion1952
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Many thanks .. that is the 'cage-type' gadget I had considered buying, so it's helpful to know that it does work..

From what Speedy said in her earlier message, I had a feeling removing support tights/stockings could be possibly more difficult than putting them on - and your mother's experience/concerns confirms that!

I tried using 2 'grabbers' to remove a tubigrip but they just scratched my leg.. I thought I might try using 2 long-handled shoe horns next time.. but I think they might need a bit of 'strength' too - so I don't think they would be any good for your mother either..

I will 'pursue' this issue further and if I find a workable solution Wonky I'll let you know.. !

Thanks again

Marion