sign of inflammation??

bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
Hi
I have been having a problme lately getting sorted out. I have goe from being told i have a spondyloarthropathy. At my first appoitnment following mri scan i was told i have inflammation in the sacroiliac joint and osteophytes in my lower back, I am currently on sulphasalazine, pred arcoxia and few other bits and bobs.
I saw rheumatologist recently who then told me that i didnt have these things and that there was no sign in inflammation and couldnt explain the pain i was getting. He told me to come wee off the pred as there was no reason to be on them and to see him again in 8 weeks. I have been trying to come off them for ages but whenever i do my lower bck and hips burn like mad and i get so stff i can barely move in the mornings.
I came down on them by 1 mg middle of last week and by the weekend my shoulder got very painful and i still can barely move it. I went to gp who said to go for an x ray and ultrasound. The x ray is monday but the ultrasound dept said i would be lucky to get it done before october so i contacted a private hospital today and got it done this afternoon. She told me that i had bursitis in my shulder and the fluid was rpeventing me from lifting my arm up. She said this was inflammation. Would this be enough inflammation to show the rheumy when i see him?? I cant bare to come down on the steroids anymore as i dread to think what else might happen.
I am ata loose end at the moment so was hoping you may be able to shed some ight on what this means.
Is this enough proof to show the rheumy that i have inflammation in my joints??

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    bailey27 wrote:
    Hi
    I have been having a problme lately getting sorted out. I have goe from being told i have a spondyloarthropathy. At my first appoitnment following mri scan i was told i have inflammation in the sacroiliac joint and osteophytes in my lower back, I am currently on sulphasalazine, pred arcoxia and few other bits and bobs.
    I saw rheumatologist recently who then told me that i didnt have these things and that there was no sign in inflammation and couldnt explain the pain i was getting. He told me to come wee off the pred as there was no reason to be on them and to see him again in 8 weeks. I have been trying to come off them for ages but whenever i do my lower bck and hips burn like mad and i get so stff i can barely move in the mornings.
    I came down on them by 1 mg middle of last week and by the weekend my shoulder got very painful and i still can barely move it. I went to gp who said to go for an x ray and ultrasound. The x ray is monday but the ultrasound dept said i would be lucky to get it done before october so i contacted a private hospital today and got it done this afternoon. She told me that i had bursitis in my shulder and the fluid was rpeventing me from lifting my arm up. She said this was inflammation. Would this be enough inflammation to show the rheumy when i see him?? I cant bare to come down on the steroids anymore as i dread to think what else might happen.
    I am ata loose end at the moment so was hoping you may be able to shed some ight on what this means.
    Is this enough proof to show the rheumy that i have inflammation in my joints??

Dear Bailey27

Thank you for your posting on the forum. It can be very difficult when there are questions around diagnosis particularly as you have been given such conflicting information. We are not medically trained here on the helpline and would always say to speak to a health professional about the indications of any particular symptom. Can you contact the rheumatology department and speak to the rheumatology practice nurse about how you are feeling for some advice. You can also speak to the nurse about the result of your ultrasound.

Inflammatory arthritis is diagnosed using a combination of pointers that include looking at your symptoms and also blood tests that if they show inflammation may indicate a type of inflammatory arthritis but again this could only be diagnosed by your health professionals. Also to speak to your consultant about reviewing your medications. It can often take a while to diagnose which is frustrating and you can speak to your GP about being referred somewhere else for a second opinion to look again at your diagnosis.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Best Wishes
    Dawn