DIHYDROCODEINE {modified release 60mg}

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 20. Jun 2010, 16:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
If you remember from my other posts after my THR I wasnt sleeping....waking up with pain a few times during the night...the weird thing is before THR arthur never woke me with pain in the night.....I'm on paracetamol {full dose} during the day because I havae arthritis in my other hip. spine, and ankle.....I was put on 2 codeine at night to try and help me sleep {or not waken up}....didnt work very well....GP has just put me on the above....DIHYDROCODEINE.....1 at night....I've been on it for almost a week.....after the first night it started working.
The only thing is.....I cant waken up in the morning and feel groggy during the day......I'm putting it down to this....Anyone else know anything about it????? It doesnt help that I'm a driver.......not very safe.
I suppose it could be something else but not sure.
I'm not taking it tonight....hopefully I should be OK because it willstill be in my system....I wonder whether to stop it altogether or try it every second night???
Love from a rambling Hileena LOL

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 18. Jun 2010, 17:23
    Options
    I am at a loss. You say pain doesn't waken you. How, in whoever's name, how? A wailing DD
    Ah, mis-read, you said before the op. Sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Is this drug the same as DF118? If so, they absolultely knocked me sideways on the few occasions I took them many years ago.. I was staggering about, falling into things...

Sorry - I'm not much help... what about cutting the tablet in half??

Marion
  • hileena111
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I am at a loss. You say pain doesn't waken you. How, in whoever's name, how? A wailing DD
    Ah, mis-read, you said before the op. Sorry. DD

Its weird.....arthur was bad enough to need two THR but it didnt waken me at night and now that one is done....it constantly wakens me
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    marion1952 wrote:
    Hi Hileena

Is this drug the same as DF118? If so, they absolultely knocked me sideways on the few occasions I took them many years ago.. I was staggering about, falling into things...

Sorry - I'm not much help... what about cutting the tablet in half??

Marion

Hi ...Sory dont know anythiong about DF118

Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Lynn
    Yep I think you've got it......I dont know....but thats what it feels as if its doing to me,..,......and I keep saying it might be something else but dont think so.
    I'll just have to go back to not sleeping LOL....which is the lesser of the 2 evils????zombie because to the tablets or zomnbie because of lack of sleep LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Good word, 'whooshing', collywobble, explains it all. I am still trying to understand that before the ops, no pain, since the ops, pain. Oooooh, odd. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    I love "whoosing" LO As for the reason DD...|I have no idea....sometimes wish I hadnt had it done.
    Back to the meds.....if I took a non mod. release one would that be any better than codeine......if pain came in the night it would still waken me????
    I dont know either LOL Its going tpo have to be trial and error.

Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Hileena, you could try taking the new med earlier in the evening - what time have you been taking it and what time do you like to get up?

Or you could go back to the GP and say the drug works but does it come in smaller amounts ... Just looked on Bnf ... don't think it comes in smaller doses for slow release - comes in 30mg ordinary. According to BNF slow release tablets last 12 hours!! Definitely experiment with taking them earlier in the evening.

Speedy

PS Just looked on Bnf ... don't think it comes in smaller doses for slow release - comes in 30mg ordinary. According to BNF slow release tablets last 12 hours!! Definitely experiment with taking them earlier in the evening.
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi, Well one night over woithout them......I suppose they were still in my system after taking them for a few days...Woke at 4.30am and 5.30am.....but dont feel quite zombie like....I suppose it will take a few days of experimenting......
    I've been taking them at about 10ish....settle down about 11.00 or 11.30 OT wakes me up with a cuppa about 7.15am and I'm happy with that time.
    Sorry cant remember who asked how long it was Post OP....it was 12th Feb ...just over 4 months.....dont know whether you call that "not long" ...or not LOL The next one is due beginning of Oct.
    Well ...off top the metro center....{taking the scooter} after that we are going straight to a yearly local fair......dont know what that will be like...Been other years but not while I've been as sore as this....wqe'll see how I cope....personally I could do without going but hubby wants to go and he's taking me and scooter to metro center and then we are going straight on from there
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I hope you enjoy your day out - you know how these things go, the ones you don't want to do are fun, the ones you do want to do are not. DD
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I would say that to give you 60mg of DF118 SR when you are used to co-codamol is just too much for you to take. That is a huge jump on the painkiller scale. Go back to gp and ask for 30mg version to take just before you go to bed. Hopefully then you will ok in the morning.

Take care

Janie
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi Hileena

Glad you a feeling a bit more 'normal' today..

I checked on the internet and DF118 is the same as dihydrocodeine - so it IS the one that had me staggering about when I took it some years ago ...!

Hope you have a good day ... it's good to get out an about - don't overdo it though!

Marion
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD,
    Yes.....Had a good day out thanks......Was on scooter during my shopping trip {a lot of the shopping was mental LOL best way to spend money LOL} and the fair wasnt very big and I coped OK.,.,,,so I'm back for the day now....got some housework tyo catch up on....The kids and grandkids are coming over for a bar b que....tomorrow.

Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    No, mental spending has never worked for me - I prefer the real thing! Preferably on something shiny and sparkly. Having said that, I used to amuse myself for hours when younger: when the new Argos catalogue came out I would sit and equip a whole house from top to bottom. It used to take my mind off the asthma wonderfully well. Sad and lonely child that I was! DD
  • lavenderlady
    lavenderlady Member Posts: 409
    Options
    I take zapain for moderate pain and Dihydrocodeine for bad pain and if really bad its tramadol this along with 3 amitriptaline every night seems to help quite well with pain, I also take gabapentine for nerve pain, none of them give me problems the dehydrocodein is not slow release and I take one before going to bed and one in the morning if i wake in pain, I cannot take ibruprofen and paracetamol due to stomach ulcers, caused by asprin ?????
    I did however fall asleep while in the shower and while I sat on the bottom step to take a rest before climbing it these were after taking co peroxamol,
    I always fall sleepy around 4 pm yet none of the tablets would be taken for this to happen at that time, hope you find some nice relaxed sleep, a good nights sleep does the body and mind wonders :)
  • hileena111
    Options
    Isnt arthur weird??? I didnt have that tablet last night.....I might try one tonight at an earlier time as well and see how that goes.
    Only on paracetamol apart from this {although I did take 2 ibroprufpon this morning before going out} because I knew today would be a fairly heavy day

Love
    Hikeena
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    When I first joined I remember a thread about this - people were taking something at about 6pm or so to ensure some rest and waking up OK. Trouble is I can't remember who, or what. If I get the chance I'll have a hunt later. DD
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi....well its 9.30....been out for a while....had planned to take that tablet earlier and see what happened but didnt have it with me.
    I've got the mob {son,daughter, dil, grandaughter} coming for lunch tomorrow and I dont want to be zombie like...Just taken 2 codeine {9.30pm} I'll take one up for the middle of the night and MAY take it
    Love
    Hileena
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hope you get a good nights sleep, Hileena.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • hileena111
    Options
    Woke up twice with pain......4.30am and 5am?????
    I dont know!!!! LOL

Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    You'll all be sick listening to this......Took 1 of the dihydrocodeine at 9pm tonight.....settle down about 11.30pm....see how it affects me tomorrow. I'm not going very far...just up into the village for a meeting which isnt absolutely necessary if I dont feel like it

Love
    Hileena