pain in ribs/breastbone

Options
salamander
salamander Member Posts: 1,906
edited 7. Oct 2010, 16:18 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone, not posted much lately as dealing with quite a bit of stuff. Just wondered if anyone with inflammatory arthritis has ever had this? Been in a lot of pain this week and gp thinks it is the arthritis. I've had three days of really bad flare at the same time. I can't really quite believe that I could get pain in where my ribs attach to breastbone (at least that is how I understood it.) It is very severe but only with certain movements. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

How are you all doing?
tc
Sally

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sally,

I get it and have at the mo actually, its horrible as if the intercostal muscles are pulled..... and the sternum is sore and the collar bones really hurt, can't even stand a t0shirt touching them.

I am sorry flower you got it and sending you a ((( ))) and a hope you will feel much better tomorrow. Luv Cris x
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    I get costochronditis - inflammation of the ribs and breastbone when my RA is bad. It hurts to breathe and bend over. Can't do anything for it except take painkillers and anti-inflams and wait it out. Usually, once my RA is back under control it goes.

I hope it clears up for you soon.
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Hi

Yes, I have had this just once, earlier this year - thought I had cracked a rib - very painful to breathe, move, sit in certain positions, etc..

It's called costochondritis (?sp) ..

Another one of Arthur's little 'treats' that he throws at us occasionaslly!!

It took about 5 days to pass off - I just had to take painkillers and I found benefit from using a heat pad over my rib area and lying in bed with my body perfectly straight (so all my joints were 'in line')

I do hope it clears up soon for you ..

Best wishes

Marion
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it is a nasty little surprise! I thought I had pulled a muscle at first. Will check costochonditis out.
    Sorry to hear you've got it too Cris. Marion said her lasted about 5 days so hopefully it will g.

Lynn, I've found a couple of threads and it describes exactly what I've got. It feels very bizzare.
    tc
    xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh salamander that sounds rotten. I am so sorry, I hope it does go away soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • salamander
    Options
    Thanks DD. it feels a bit better today but still catches me every so often. Thought I was having a heart attack!
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm not surprised! I sincerely hope it eases soon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi bit late to this but yes get it on right side of sturnum and it is very painfull. hope it gets sorted soon val
    val
  • snowball
    snowball Member Posts: 3,465
    Options
    scattered wrote:
    I get costochronditis - inflammation of the ribs and breastbone when my RA is bad. It hurts to breathe and bend over. Can't do anything for it except take painkillers and anti-inflams and wait it out. Usually, once my RA is back under control it goes.

I hope it clears up for you soon.

I've had that, when I try to breath in its really painfull and I find I can only take shallow breaths. I never new it was because of my r/a.

Julie
    ((((hugs)))) n xxxxx to ya all
  • deborahjane
    deborahjane Member Posts: 120
    Options
    i get this too.sometimes i can,t work out where the pain is sternum ribs and sometimes it feels like breast pain,the doctor said it was the ra.it feels sore on sternum and under breasts,it is worrying when you have chest pain you start thinking it could be something more serious,i have had it for a year now,some days it goes away but mostly it,s there all the time.hope you get sorted soon,deb :!:(i never get pain when breathing though)
  • salamander
    Options
    bumping up for venita
  • venita
    venita Member Posts: 56
    Options
    salamander wrote:
    bumping up for venita

Thanks