Breast Cancer drugs trigger RA?

Options
widget01
widget01 Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Jun 2010, 08:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Has anybody else experienced this? Last year I received chemotherapy & radiotherapy for breast cancer. During the second phase of the chemo I started getting pains in my wrists, elbows, feet & ankles. After trying various drugs to alleviate the pain I was referred to the rheumatologist & diagnosed with sero negative RA. Is this a coincidence or has this happened to anybody else? Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted to be alive thanks to the cancer drugs, but I am curious.

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Widget,

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like life has been dealing you a rough hand, and still you manage to sound positive.

I don't know anything about this, but others might be along soon who do ....

We have lots of RA experts on here.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oooh widget01, nasty. Life can be horrible can't it? I am so sorry, you fight one huge battle and now you're facing another.

I have no idea if cancer drugs can trigger RA but one of the most popular treatments for arthritis is methotrexate, a cancer drug yes, but used in much lower doses. Would a treatment trigger another disease? We had a debate yesterday here about the fact that Amercian research has tried to 'prove' a link between drinking tea and RA. As I said, you have these things because you are living. It's all caused by breathing - that's the fundamental problem! I have tried holding my breath but the arthritis didn't go away. What stage are you at with your arthritis? Are they giving you any meds? Oh, I forgot - welcome! Dreamdaisy. (who has PA)
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • marion1952
    marion1952 Member Posts: 963
    Options
    Dear Widget

Funny you should raise this. as a colleague of mine has had treatment for ovarian cancer (chemo and Rx) last Nov/December and she has e-mailed me recently to say she is having joint problems (hips and knees and elbows). She is going to raise it with her consultant...

I will be in touch with her again shortly, so if there is any further information, I will let you know..

The chemo drugs are such strong drugs though (ie they change cells, so they must be fierce) - that I guess they can impact on other things..

I did read that Jenni Murray, the broadcaster, had to have 2 hip replacements after chemo for breast cancer (she wrote an article - it's online if you Google her) .. her consultant only told her when she started complaining of pain her hips that it was a side effect of the chemo..

Glad to hear that you are so positive about things Widget, and hope that you are having a lovely weekend..

best wishes

Marion
  • wibberley
    wibberley Member Posts: 421
    Options
    My friend also developed arthritis whilst taking drugs for breast cancer. It may be worth asking your consultant about - I hope your treatment is going well aside from the arthritis pain.

Lois x