Elbow Bursa

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 25. Jun 2010, 09:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, and hello to all my old 'friends',

I've not been on here for a while for a variety of reasons (which I won't go into now) so I am way behind with what beens going on! I hope this lovely sunny morning finds you well and happy.

I've not been feeling too bad, but I do have a question for you:-

I've got a Bursa on my elbow.... it came up like an egg a couple of weeks ago, by the time I saw the nurse it had gone back down :) Not its back again - although not as bad! Theres no redness or pain, its not causing me any problems, just feels strangely squashy :shock: I jut wonder if its common with RA sufferers and if so, what do you do to treat it? I can't have a steroid injection til my glaucoma is under control, so thats not an option....

Jackie xx

Comments

• carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie

Yes, I get them also on my elbows. They are pretty weird, eh?!

Have a good day :lol:
    Carol
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi there, Thanks for quick replies!

Carola, do you get them lots? How do you treat them?

Jackie xx
  • carola
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi there, Thanks for quick replies!

Carola, do you get them lots? How do you treat them?

Jackie xx

Hi Jackie

For about 4 months my left elbow had a huge squishy golf ball - you could move it from side to side and my right one the same but a bit smaller. The actual squishy golf ball bit doesn't hurt unless I lean on my elbow then I go through the roof for a second. The golf ball has disappeared from my left elbow completely 2 weeks ago but left with hard knobbly bits which feel like another boney elbow. My right elbow has gone down somewhat but still squishy.
    As they do not hurt unless I lean on them I don't try anything for them eg hot or cold pads etc.
    My Rheumy and GP say that they are caused by RA however recently I was rediagnosed with SLE a form of Lupus.
    I don't know whey the left one disappeared however maybe the Methotrexate is starting to kick - I don't know. I take 20mg weekly. Sorry, I am not much help 8)
    Carol x
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi Carol,

Sorry to hear of your new diagnosis - but reading your postings you sound like a really positive gal which will defo help you through! I used to always be on the 'net googling my symptons, and gave myself terrible frights :shock:

Even though I feel like I've got my life back and have a good positive attitude myself, each new sympton sends me scuttling back on the 'net and googling again - you'd think I would have learnt my lesson by now :)

So many immune diseases seem to present similar symptons, it does make one wonder just how precise one's diagnosis actually is?

Anyway, back to that damned bursa..... any more advice folks???

Jackie xx
  • carola
    Options
    Hi Jackie

Yep, you are so right - the internet is a wonderful and awful thing at the same time! :lol:

Have a good day today.
    Carol 8)
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

Its really nice to see you :D and I hope things are going ok?

I think bursa's go with any of the bone things unfortunately. OA and hips have a link, ra an hips also and I am no sure whats causes them? Hopefully yours will go down soon but can they steroid jab it for you to help sped it along? I don't know much about it but thinking if it was a hop that's what they would do.

You take good care of your elf and pop in more often so we know your ok. Luv and a ((( ))) Cris xx
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Hi Jackie
    I currently have a very painful and inflamed bursa on my knee following a bad fall a couple of weeks ago
    I had my general 4mthly appointment with my rheumy last week so I asked her about it
    I’ve had them before on my hip and knew that they could be caused by all sorts of things, bumps , reoccurring wear, and having RA doesn’t help, some people can have them with no pain but usually the inflammation can hurt
    My Rheumy said that it could take 5 or 6 weeks to go down and that the best thing is to use an anti-inflammatory gel (which I can take with my already prescribed anti-inflam tablets) you can buy it over the counter but she gave me a prescription for some as I have a prepayment (already paid for several times over )
    Otherwise cold compress / ice pack should help bring it down
    Steroids injections and a draining them are a last resort if they persist
    Hope thats some help
    Chrissie
  • jackie1955
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies, and your kind words. The bursa has gone down a bit, loved the description of it being like a 'big lump of bubble gum' :D

I HATE this RA! Just when you think your not doing too badly, it surprises you with something new! Ah well, at least it doesn't hurt -well not at the moment!

Jackie xx
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thank you so much for your replies, and your kind words. The bursa has gone down a bit, loved the description of it being like a 'big lump of bubble gum' :D

I HATE this RA! Just when you think your not doing too badly, it surprises you with something new! Ah well, at least it doesn't hurt -well not at the moment!

Jackie xx
    I too have RA and I have a small bursar on my bunion - it hurst like hell. They say that is caused be pressure (due to swollen anlarged joints) and will do nothing only to say keep the pressure off. So what am I supposed to put on my feet!!!