Cancelled appointments

Options
woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 21. Jun 2010, 11:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello, I've come on to have a bit of a rant! :( I've been passed from department to department at the hospital and seen quite a few doctors, form rheumatology to neurology, you name it!!!

The last visit to the hospital involved seeing a consultant plastic surgeon about my carpel tunnel op and some more nerves that showed up as being not so good. He explained the position gave me choices and agreed that I had made the best choice. No more surgery at present. I have to go back in six months.

Six months ago, I saw the rheumatology doc and she set in motion some x-rays and blood tests and said she would see me in six months, which is up in August. I was given an appointment. A few weeks later, I had an appointment for more x-rays, with no explanation. I went to my GP to see if she knew anything, but they hadn't sent any infromation at all. WE both rang and wrote but nothing happened, except I had an appointment for an ultrasound on my hands. The doctor who did the test told me that he couldn't see any inflammation, but I had wear and tear, which I should talk to my rheummy about in August.

Also the pain clinic that the rhemmy sent me to seemed to have come to an end. I wanted to discuss this too. Yesterday, I recieved a standard letter saying that the person I was seeing is on holiday and she can't see me until December 23rd. It also said that if I had a complaint about this, not to contact the hospital but see my GP first!

I've got loads of questions, including some new symptoms, burning, stabbing pains in my soulders, bottom of my back, feet and elbows. I also think my own GP may be off ill, as she isn't listed on the computer appointments system and I don't want to go through all this with another GP, although their are several that are sympathetic, it can make things more confused. I am so angry at having this appointment cancelled with no proper reason given. My own view is maybe they are letting plastics take over or feel that they can offer nothing at this moment. If that is the case, I would'nt mind if they only either wrote to me with a proper explanation, or phoned me. :(:( I am reasonable and could understand the logic of that, but to be left not knowing test results, not knowing if any treatment is being planned. is quite upsetting. Maybe they think I'm a waste of time. Not worth bothering about.
I just don't know, but I'm not going to let it go!!! :( :x :x :x
Sorry this is so long. Love Sue

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hospitals love their standard letters, it saves them having to do a proper job of work and address individual patients individually. I can understand your frustration: the NHS is a truly wonderful thing, (just imagine the expense of doing all we do privately!) but it does have its limitations, and I guess patient numbers is the biggest problem.

Departments within one hospital do not communicate well - at least that's my experience, as I oscillate gently between rheumatology, orthopaedics and dermatology. One is forever re-counting the sad and sorry tale of one's misfortunes, care lacks continuity, notes are lost, letters drop out of files, it is a beaurocratic nightmare. Staff forget that patients like reasons: it's the arrogant disregard of one's feelings that can be so hurtful, it does make you feel as tho you don't matter - and the truth is you probably don't, you are just another face to them. Harsh, but true.

Rheumatology departments are one of the fastest-growing areas of the NHS at the moment, and they are often under-staffed and over-populated patient-wise! I see my consultant at least once a year, sometimes twice. The rest of the time it's a nurse that chats.

Regarding your GP, it may be worth your while seeing another one: your notes will be on the system and at least you'll have one to fight your corner. If you do protest another, earlier appointment may come thro and at least you'll have a doc on board. Sorry woodbon, I have to go now. Pain excruciating. If I have any further thoughts I'll come back later. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    This all sounds truly frustrating.

I'm slightly confused who can't see you to Dec 23rd - rheumy or pain clinic?

I would definitely do as DD said and see another GP - pick a good listener - and between your explanation and your notes they will be able to pick up and help you chase up the situation. At least you will feel as if you are doing something - and it is the role of the GP to integrate all the different medics you see.

Now, I'm just curious - you said -
    The last visit to the hospital involved seeing a consultant plastic surgeon about my carpel tunnel op and some more nerves that showed up as being not so good.
    Do you mean they repair or remove the nerves. I'm just asking because my older THR leg doesn't have good movement - due to nerve damage ... and if the nerves were repairable - that would be something worth investigating in the future ... my new hip already does more than the one in question!!

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Right, it's later but I can't think of anything. Sorry. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, Thank you for the replies. My GP is great, she does her best to chase things up and follow through. The problem is that she has been unable to get a sensible reply from the consultants sec. I also think she is off long term sick at the moment, though I'm not sure. The practice does have other doctors that I know, from my work mainly, and I don't mind seeing them, but it does confuse matters, but thats just life!

Its rheumotology that has cancelled my August appointment and moved it until December, but I only got the letter yesterday, so will chase it up tomorrow. My major concern is that I have a trapped nerve in my neck, caused by arthritis, all the departments I have seen have advised against surgery, although I did have a choice, I had no problem in agreeing that 'wait and see' is the best option at the moment, as the op carries serious risks, which are minimal but still possible if unlucky.
    I've had tests which I didn't even know the rheumatologist wanted, and I have not had any chance to discuss this with her and find out the results.

Sorry, I know this is a long and confusing story! Basically down, I think to lack of communication. I have worked in bigger hospitals than this, in admin. and I know how easy it is to lose things in the system. ~Thats part of my worry! :shock:
    Love Sue
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Sue

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I'd say, if your regular Doc is off then see another one and write to consultants. They tend to act upon letters more since there is a record - put at end of letter the you are cc -ing it to your GP so they cannot ignore it.

Sorry cannae be any help.
    Keep positive.
    Carol :lol:
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hello again I've just rung the consultant sec and she said that the reason the appointment was cancelled is because of the doctors holidays!!! :shock: This means that their are a lot of patients who haven't got appointments to be fitted in around those that have already been given appointments. She has put me on the short notice list, so hopefully if they get cancellations I may go sooner.

She told me that my GP was suggesting seronegative ra and osteoarthritis. I asked about the results,but of course, she couldn't tell me. I know they aren't supposed to but I tried to catch her out. She said my GP should be able to tell me more now, I rang up and shes back this week, but busy until next MOnday. So I'll go and talk to her then.
    I'm glad I rang the hospital, as I can easily go up at short notice, which is something that may happen.

I've been feeling a bit yuk, lately and thats made me short tempered. I don't think its going to be seroneg. as when I had the ultrasound, he seemed pretty sure there was no inflammation.
    Wait and see now, I suppose. Love Sue
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Hi Sue

Good to hear a wee bit progress.

Crossing my eyes for you (nothing else will cross today with swellings haha!).
    Carol :lol:
  • cthornley
    cthornley Member Posts: 627
    Options
    Good luck Sue

Unfortunately you may have to just keep on top of things with the hospital
    I had many years of great difficulties with getting my previous consultant – cancelled appointments being just one of them and he was a serial offender
    It took his lowest point when he finally did give me an appointment and kept it only to order me out of his office as I was pregnant and ‘there is nothing i can do for you come back when you’ve had it’! when I finally snapped and made an official complaint to the chief executive. (BTW he was talking rubbish about being to help me through pregnancy my GP found me a lovely consultant to hand hold me through the whole thing)
    Hospital appointment systems are loathed by patients and doctors alike they rarely work and have no wiggle room for holidays or sickness – unfortunately they are here to stay so it’s best to attack them from all sides. Best step is to talk to your consultants secretary which is what you have done, if its urgent say so many drs will find time for you if they can for urgent cases. Get your GP on side – your general gp is best as you say you don’t have to explain but if they are not available try to get an appointment with one of the other regulars at your practice the senior the better ....don’t go to a locum or trainee they just won’t have the clout and probably won’t be there to follow up. The last thing to do is to write and complain to the hospital about the shambolic appointment system....often they really don’t realise how much it affects people as its run by management rather than medical staff, the more people tell them the more they can’t ignore it.
    After hitting rock bottom things couldn’t be better – I now have a new consultant, head of the department no less, who is kind, empathetic and best of all sensible about my treatment. She doesn’t miss appointments and is good about seeing me when I have a problem – I got an appointment for a procedure within days of asking to see her. Yay sometimes complaining really does help
    Good luck hope you get sorted soon
    Chrissie
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, Yes, I'm going to see my own GP on Monday, shes back this week. We get on very well. Our practice dosn't seem to have to have locums as its so big, over 10 GPs and they cover for each other. They work in groups and try to see the same people so its not too bad. Its just that I havn't seen one of the others for ages, and so much has gone on with verious departments!!! :roll: I can ring my consultant plastics sergeon, if I get severe nerve pains. Thank you for listening to my rambleings!!!! :oops: :)
    Love Sue