OA and hip pain

Options
anglerman
anglerman Member Posts: 42
edited 20. Jun 2010, 17:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Help
I am told do some low level excercise to keep mobile which I do then i am in agony afterwards then once at rest I am in pain again
But if i do nothing but take the days as it come steadily I still have a lot of pain and discomfort but not a sever bout for a set time after excecise.
finding it difficult to make people(authoroties) understand that my pain starts as soon as I walk but still get ask the stupid question how far can you walk before feeling severe discomfort
Ifeel like telling them I can climb mount everest but tha pain at the bottom will be the same as the top. :x

Comments

• speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi, have you had any advice about which exercises/what exercise you should be doing? Before my hip op I had physio and the therapist was great - she started off recommending the exercises I should do and based them on where my pain was. I would demo them for her each week and any that caused more pain she would modify.
    Until just a few weeks before my op, swimming was still ok for me too, though found changing on the silly narrow benches increasingly difficult.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • anglerman
    anglerman Member Posts: 42
    Options
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi, have you had any advice about which exercises/what exercise you should be doing? Before my hip op I had physio and the therapist was great - she started off recommending the exercises I should do and based them on where my pain was. I would demo them for her each week and any that caused more pain she would modify.
    Until just a few weeks before my op, swimming was still ok for me too, though found changing on the silly narrow benches increasingly difficult.

Speedy
    i cam manage to swim but still have a little discomfort afterwards.
    the excercises the physio gave me were to build up the stomavh muscles which is fine.
    its things like gentle walk on treadmill that does for me
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    i cam manage to swim but still have a little discomfort afterwards.
    the excercises the physio gave me were to build up the stomavh muscles which is fine.
    its things like gentle walk on treadmill that does for me

Hi, little discomfort is ok - that's just a sign that you have worked the muscles a bit. If it were me, I would give the treadmill a miss - or alter the settings to make it easier or do a shorter walk on it.

The physio exercises on the tummy muscles will be useful especially if you have a hip op - mine were rubbish after the op - they are fab now - needs must'n'all! Might be worth asking for some more physio exercises to maintain the range of movement in the hip and for some gentle strengthening exercises. If the treadmill is at a gym - they should be able to tailor the exercises to your specific needs ....

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.