D-Day

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 21. Jun 2010, 13:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Well I had my appointment with my consultant this morning at 9.00am (well 09.15 as he was running late per usual)..........I took me dad with me for moral support, he was sat in one chair, me on examining couch and consultant walked in, sat on other chair looked at me, and asked me "so?"??????And I had to address him to state that I had seen him 6 weeks when he had told me kneecap removal was the only option.
I told him Id researched this as much as I could and had only found one positive experience (thanks Tweedy).......He kept emphasising that I was only 42 (corrected him am 41, not 42 yet thanks ;-)) and that he could not give me what I needed - I corrected him again when he used the term "want" with "it is what I need due to deterioration"....I also asked him how many of these kneecap removals he does a year (he told me about 5)....I challenged him re exercises, physio - could I do more than I was doing? No he told me as with arfur the more exercise the worse the pain....He backtracked when I asked him was the timescale for TKR 20yrs? I also told him that I have been an active person up until the last year or so and that for many years I worked in retial/standing all day on my feet as another career was not an option at the time.He said he could not say how long but only that I was way too young at mo...He at one point compared kneecap removal/TKR as peanuts?? I said I could nto find enough positives to swing it in the ratio for me....I politely thank him for answering my questions and he said he was sorry he had not answered tem and sorry jhe had nothing more to offer me...he is wrtiing to doc for second opinion......
Now even though this guys opinion hadnt changed I feel I took the bull by the horns in attacking some of the negatives and making him think twice, and also at making him feel that what options he could offer me were pretty inadequate...
So the crusade goes on but im happier I was positive and not some meek thing sat in a corner of a consultation room...He may just have changed his opinion about me from lazy, naive woman to a person who takes all points seriously and isnt about to just say yes thank you to anything.

Shall post you all when get 2nd opinion....

Elaine 8)

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Brill, Elaine :D You did so well. It is true that knowledge is power and you felt so much more confident when seeing him, after the research you have done and chatting to us lot on here. Good for you. :)

You will feel confident when going for a second opinion too. I hope the outcome is more favourable for you.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Well done to you. It takes courage to stand up to doctors and you did well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Thats good, at least you've got your side of the picture in. Sometimes, I think consultants forget that their patients are real people with opinions.
    Love Sue
  • carola
    carola Member Posts: 786
    Options
    Good to hear you positive Elaine.

All this arthritis malarky can make us feel like we have lost control therefore anything we can do to instill control in our minds is a good thing.

Good luck with 2nd opinion and keep us updated.
    Carol
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elaine, well done for getting your point across.

Keep us posted re second opinion.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks Elna

Yes youre absolutely right and after all why be frightened of doctors/consultants....I was armed and had ammunition definitely.....

Everyone on here has been helpful....

Ta

Elainex
    elnafinn wrote:
    Brill, Elaine :D You did so well. It is true that knowledge is power and you felt so much more confident when seeing him, after the research you have done and chatting to us lot on here. Good for you. :)

You will feel confident when going for a second opinion too. I hope the outcome is more favourable for you.

Luv
    Elna x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks Elna

Yes youre absolutely right and after all why be frightened of doctors/consultants....I was armed and had ammunition definitely.....

Everyone on here has been helpful....

Ta

Elainex
    elnafinn wrote:

Luv
    Elna x
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks and yes it does take courage..:-0
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Well done to you. It takes courage to stand up to doctors and you did well. DD
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks Sue

Yes I think sometimes they go into robot mode but sometimes people jolt them back into life again.......

Elainex
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi, Thats good, at least you've got your side of the picture in. Sometimes, I think consultants forget that their patients are real people with opinions.
    Love Sue
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Carol

Well yes we all get bogged down from time to time just need that kick up the you know what to take the proverbial bull by horns....

Cant wait for 2nd opinon now...

Elainex
    carola wrote:
    Good to hear you positive Elaine.

All this arthritis malarky can make us feel like we have lost control therefore anything we can do to instill control in our minds is a good thing.

Good luck with 2nd opinion and keep us updated.
    Carol
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Speedy

Well I done pretty good I feel...Bring it on the second opinion and second consultant.....

Lol

Elainex
    speedalong wrote:
    Hi Elaine, well done for getting your point across.

Keep us posted re second opinion.

Speedy